Puzzled about ball scratches.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
However did your table didn't know what they were doing, no lie. The staples go underneath the slate, so the balls can never hit them. Not on the edge of the slate (well I mean the wood board attached to the slate).

I'm not a table mechanic, but have been around pool halls for 25 years, and have a GC in my house. Anytime there is ANY metal inside a pocket, it will 100% scratch the balls.

Those pockets are designed from the factory for those screws you see. But notice how far deep they are set from the surface? That is why they don't hit the ball.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Take those balls out of play until you remove those damn sinker nails.

At least you can replace individual balls from places like PoolDawg, but it still should never have happened.

Sorry to see that.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, looks like you found the source. No, I don’t believe I’d give that same installer the opportunity to correct. Bite the bullet and hire someone reputable to repair and reinstall the pockets as they should have been done in the first place.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Can I fix it by myself? can someone teach me how to fix them? maybe a youtube video instruction would be nice.

In the meantime I might buy them cheap $15 balls, would you think this is a good idea, or just try to fix it.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I just spoke to another repairman, he gave me an advise that if all pockets has the big screw which you can see in the photos with big circular whole from the manufactorer, then I should just remove the nails as I dont need them.

anyone agree? should I just remove the nails?

smoochie

NotLikeThis
Those pockets are designed from the factory for those screws you see. But notice how far deep they are set from the surface? That is why they don't hit the ball.

if each pockets has these two screws from the factory, should I just get rid of the nails all together? why did he even put the nails, I don't get it.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if each pockets has these two screws from the factory, should I just get rid of the nails all together? why did he even put the nails, I don't get it.
Yes, get rid of the screws/nails/tacks other than the big ones that are supposed to be there in the recessed holes that are well below the surface of the pocket liner where a ball can’t possibly hit them.

Some tables have cheaper pocket liners without the recessed holes, which I’m guessing is why he may have thought he needed to use them.

If you wanted to start over with new pocket liners so you wouldn’t be looking at those old unsightly hole marks, you could order a set from Brunswick or from a dealer and you should be able to install them yourself.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably one of the pockets there is an exposed screw or something.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Below are the pictures from my table, a GC4. The cloth was installed in 2012. Its a drop pocket table, and the pockets are a slightly different design (they are flush to the corner casting, while yours are proud of the corner casting). But the inside and how it mounts to the table with the two screws should be the same. I believe I've seen on here from the professional mechanics that you can also mount this newer style flush pocket from a GC4 on any of the older GC 1,2,3 tables. I may be wrong on this.

<=== I'm not a mechanic, and there are some great ones on this forum that can help you better.

IMG_0266.jpeg
Corner pocket. Only the two Allen key head screws are used.

IMG_0267.jpeg
Corner pocket. The rubber of the pocket continues the line of the cloth.

IMG_0268.jpeg
Corner pocket slate edge. Staples are underneath, not on the edge.

IMG_0269.jpeg
Side pocket. Same two screws.

IMG_0270.jpeg
Side pocket. No staples on edge. (Note, there is an even better way to do this, with one extra piece of cloth. One of the mechanics will probably post a picture for you in this thread.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip...

I feel that if I tell the guy who made it, he'd feel offended, maybe this is the only way he know how to do it.

...snip.

Is the guy a table installer for a living? Or just a buddy who helped you out and never did a table before? If he does this on anyone else's table, he will cause all their balls to be ruined as well. He really needs to know he is messing up, big time. Now for example, you are out a brand new set of $300 balls. And you still have to fix the table. The next table he does will have the same problem, and that owner will have ruined balls.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the guy a table installer for a living? Or just a buddy who helped you out and never did a table before? If he does this on anyone else's table, he will cause all their balls to be ruined as well. He really needs to know he is messing up, big time. Now for example, you are out a brand new set of $300 balls. And you still have to fix the table. The next table he does will have the same problem, and that owner will have ruined balls.

I would encourage him to join Azb immediately and comment here. Not here, here. This is my space to say something.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own an A E Schmidt. I believe originally when new it had plastic screws in the pockets but by the time I bought it there were metal screws. I removed all the screws and the pockets just sit there loose. Once in a while a ball will rattle and not drop due to the pockets but it's better than having cuts in the balls.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I feel that if I tell the guy who made it, he'd feel offended, maybe this is the only way he know how to do it. ...
Well, it depends on how you tell him. You could first show him the balls and ask what might be causing that. Then when he doesn't mention the nails sticking out, point them out to him. Then show him how much the balls cost and ask him if he would be willing to pay for a replacement set and he can have the old ones.

If that's the only way he knows, he shouldn't be doing tables.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I found out that one of the pockets has a nail that is visibly sticking out, and I mean waaaay out.

So just for the time being, as I want to play, I hit it with a hammer and now its inside the rubber just like the other nails, I also made sure that the other nails are inside the rubber deeply.

Now I'll just find GC screws and find another technician to remove all the nails then insert the actual screws where GC designed them to be.

But for now, you guys think I can play? as long as the nails are deep in?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No. All the balls will be ruined in a few weeks.

Maybe put electrical tape over them until you fix it for real.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found out that one of the pockets has a nail that is visibly sticking out, and I mean waaaay out.

So just for the time being, as I want to play, I hit it with a hammer and now its inside the rubber just like the other nails, I also made sure that the other nails are inside the rubber deeply.

Now I'll just find GC screws and find another technician to remove all the nails then insert the actual screws where GC designed them to be.

But for now, you guys think I can play? as long as the nails are deep in?
There is no need for any of the nails/tacks as long as you are using the two screws that go in the two recessed holes for each pocket liner. To be safe, remove ALL the small nails/tacks that are not supposed to be there.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
There is no need for any of the nails/tacks as long as you are using the two screws that go in the two recessed holes for each pocket liner. To be safe, remove ALL the small nails/tacks that are not supposed to be there.

Ok will do, any table mechanic here that know the name/size of the screw that goes in there, I'm going to go by myself to a screw store whatever these places is called, they know nothing about pool or table but ofcourse they will know the name/size of that specific screw for GC4, anyone know that information? a picture would help, i'd show the guy in the store.