The Biggest reason Lower level players can't improve ????

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When world-class pro players seek out world-class instructors, it is more often than not having to do with something other than improving their play. In Karen's case it was teaching her how to teach effectively...which she learned, and was certified to teach.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Mika? Are your referring to Mika Immonen? Thats impressive!

Of course I had an instructor once tell me that he worked with/gave a lesson to Karen Corr. And I found out later all he did was help her get her instructor certification.

r/DCP

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can put that in the bank and collect interest...

Mika? Are your referring to Mika Immonen? Thats impressive!

Of course I had an instructor once tell me that he worked with/gave a lesson to Karen Corr. And I found out later all he did was help her get her instructor certification.

r/DCP

If I say it is true you can put it in the bank and collect interest;) His girlfriend was with him and had a his name on the back of her shirt.

Mika teaches and he was pretty intrigued by this dominant eye business. And like I said he had no idea he was left eye dominant, in fact he thought he was right eye dominant. So it is pretty safe to say he didn't know much about how it works. In fact he thought he aimed with the cue in the middle. Had no clue, but he does now. I didn't show him this to do a lesson but shared it with him so down the line he can help other players with it. He definitely made sure he had my number before he left. It sure was fun to see him after all these years. I do understand what your talking about with certain instructors stretching the truth. Like I said, you can collect interest on my words my friend.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When world-class pro players seek out world-class instructors, it is more often than not having to do with something other than improving their play. In Karen's case it was teaching her how to teach effectively...which she learned, and was certified to teach.

Scott Lee

Well, uhhhh, so......I know who the world-class player is here. Thats obviously Karen Corr.

But I guess I'm not sure who the world-class instructor is?????

r/DCP

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you're the one who brought it up, you should know who you're talking about. Obviously you don't! :rolleyes:

Scott Lee

Well, uhhhh, so......I know who the world-class player is here. Thats obviously Karen Corr.

But I guess I'm not sure who the world-class instructor is?????

r/DCP

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If someone doesn't think that Scott is world class in his specific field they haven't worked with many instructor's. Or perhaps can't follow the SPF path.

Kind of like asking a question here and rejecting all the answers.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the kind words Jimmy! The instructor in question was not me, but was Randyg...another world-class instructor (and my mentor)...and someone who Mike (DCP) has never even met, let alone worked with.

Scott Lee

If someone doesn't think that Scott is world class in his specific field they haven't worked with many instructor's. Or perhaps can't follow the SPF path.

Kind of like asking a question here and rejecting all the answers.

clickhiker

Registered
Wouldn't it be grand if it were only this simple?

"And then they often have booze and dope to boot..."
---------

So, when I'm looking for weed, I should look to the 3's, and 4's for guidance? The guy who gets the best weed around these parts is a 7!

Most 3's, and 4's I know, seem to have a deficiency understanding basic physics, and the touch of an elephant!

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the kind words Jimmy! The instructor in question was not me, but was Randyg...another world-class instructor (and my mentor)...and someone who Mike (DCP) has never even met, let alone worked with.

Scott Lee

Actually Randyg and I have met. Years ago in Las Vegas in mid-late May at the BCA 9-Ball tournament. The one where men and women played next to each other.

I doubt if he remembers though.

r/DCP

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great insight here from a higher level player...

Keeping in mind the skill levels you are speaking of, APA 3/4, league actually is competitive play for them.

Everything is relative honestly... I go a step further, and say shooting drills are a waste of time. Good for warming up your arm, but doesn't teach you how to deal with actual game play. Better to splash the balls and try to get out.

I think we need to reset and realize that the eye dominance correction Gene teaches isn't the whole picture. However after spending a few minutes on it with him. I can fully understand how it could greatly hamper a new player's progress.

You statement at the end here: I can fully understand how it could greatly hamper a new player's progress.[/QUOTE] is spot on. As you help some other players there in Canada you will see how huge this is. When that person you are trying to help line up a shot and misses and misses, but when you help them find this perfect spot for their eye dominance and they line right up, you know this is the answer. Once they can find this they are on their way. Now their hard work will actually pay off a little.

Many of players just like this that i have helped are playing at a higher level for sure. Mitch from Burnsville put me in the loser bracket about a month ago. Two years ago he couldn't make 3 balls in a row. Another one Joe, is battling for the top spot in the master league he plays in. There are so many.

All I can do and any teacher can do is just help who you can and spread the fun. The reason I say fun is because this game is fun. If you can help someone play a little bit better you can help create allot of fun.

Let me know your experiences with the players you are helping. The results I'm sure will be off the charts. This is what holds so many players back, seemingly stuck in their forever skill level.

Good Luck my friend. :thumbup:

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am still waiting to find out who the "World Class" instructor is?

World class?

WORLD CLASS????????

seriously.....:scratchhead:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

World class?

WORLD CLASS????????

A world class instructor will not help a student if they don’t put in the work
I also think it takes more than one session since it’s easy for bad habits to creep back in until they are extinguished by good habits done enough times to be internalized
Jmho

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and even that World Class Professional Instructor could not help you... seriously!

Scott Lee

World class?

WORLD CLASS????????

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well Kids are we done.

Scott Lee

I'm trying to help players on here by showing and explaining how valuable knowing the dominant eye and what problems it causes. Not only what it causes but how to fix the problems we almost all have with it.

It's been really clear by the few lessons I have done with players on this thread how much it helps.

This bantering about my dad can beat up your dad could be done on another thread for sure.

If a guy is not happy about a lesson that he got and felt like he got cheated because he didn't learn anything valuable that's his freedom of speech right I guess.

Not to call him untrainable or whatever and blame it on him.

Sounds like the student wins here?

If something is going to work it is going to work right away. At least that is what I see with what I teach. if it doesn't work, working at it for months is not the answer.

But i don't think attacking the student is a good idea.

I don't have a dog in this argument but it doesn't look good and I'm just trying to help players here.

And I remember a little further back in this thread you attacked me a little Scott. It didn't even deserve an answer from me.

But I guess you don't know what you don't know unless you totally understand what you didn't know.

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are they both straight in?

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/70180.png

https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/0aed9.png

Geno,

See the two shots.

On the first shot i seem to be able to "SEE" this shot.

On the 2nd shot i seem to have trouble "SEEING" this shot.

Any thoughts on what the issue is?

r/DCP

Look at one cutting to the right about a 1/4 ball hit and cutting to the left the same way. One will look easier than the other. This will tell me something. We really need to do this on skype. it would make it so simple and easy to figure out.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look at one cutting to the right about a 1/4 ball hit and cutting to the left the same way. One will look easier than the other. This will tell me something. We really need to do this on skype. it would make it so simple and easy to figure out.

I meant for both shots to be of the straight-in variety.

The first shot, i seem to see it fine and have no trouble getting set.

The 2nd shot, i seem to have trouble settling into the shot.

r/DCP

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shouldn't be any different other than....

I meant for both shots to be of the straight-in variety.

The first shot, i seem to see it fine and have no trouble getting set.

The 2nd shot, i seem to have trouble settling into the shot.

r/DCP

You might have your body a little different one way than the other. Your not reaching far with this shot but being right handed when you shoot the ball on the left side your comfortable because of your position of the body. The shot on the right, your body is turned more to the right so your left hip is closer to the table. Making this shot a little more uncomfortable. if you are left eye dominant it would make this worse.

One you might be standing a little bit back further than the other also because of body position.

These are the only 2 things that I can see that effect this shot one way or the other.

Like I said though. It would be a whole lot easier with skype.

I'm guessing here but it's an educated guess anyway.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

World class?

WORLD CLASS????????

Two words that come to mind when I think of World Class.

Had a record as great player, and is great instructor.

Jerry Briesath.