Richie Ambrose... RIP???

8ballEinstein

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ran into Richie in Huntington Beach, CA, back in the late 80's. He was entered in a local pool tournament. He looked familiar to me but I couldn't place him. Then he got into an action match with a friend of mine. When friend told me the guy he's playing was named Rich, I put it together. By that time it was too late for me to queer the game, My friend lost badly. He couldn't believe he took such a tough loss until I told him who he lost to - none other than 9-ball Richie Ambrose.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve called Harry twice and he hasn’t answered or called me back. Not like Harry at all.

No updates on anything.

All the craps hustles are true too-I saw them first hand many times.

Fatboy

stevelomako

Things could be worse
Silver Member
I’ve called Harry twice and he hasn’t answered or called me back. Not like Harry at all.

No updates on anything.

All the craps hustles are true too-I saw them first hand many times.

Fatboy

Yep, I’ve had a couple of people trying to get ahold of Richie and nothing.

Doesn’t look good because it wouldn’t take but a day or two at the most for him to get back with you. He had to because each call could be about his next “craps student”.

I’ve been getting tired of answering calls from people back home, too many of the calls are about “who passed away now?”.

I look through my contacts on my phone and I can’t believe how many are gone and I can’t bear to delete them.

PS Eric, I’ve talked to our buddy and it looks like the bonus ball thing will be starting up again in the fall. He’s had great interest with franchise teams.

cambrose

Registered
Trying to locate Richie

Hi all,

This is Richie's Nephew, trying to reach out to find him.

Does anyone know what finally happened to him? His brother/my father is dying and we wanted to see if he was still alive. We haven't talked to him in decades, sadly, so thank you for any help.

cxambrose@juno.com
Chris

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

Does anyone know what finally happened to him? His brother/my father is dying and we wanted to see if he was still alive. We haven't talked to him in decades, sadly, so thank you for any help.

cxambrose@juno.com
Chris

hey chris, sorry to hear about your dad.
wish I could help, bumping this tho-

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

cxambrose@juno.com
Chris

i will pray for your dad

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
I was talking with Richie in 1974 at Joe Burns’ Forest Park billiards in Dayton at a tournament. Late at night.
We were standing by the snooker table, and someone walked by (I think it was Rempe).
He stopped Jim, set the cue ball in the jaws of the corner pocket and placed a ball in the center of the 10-foot table.
He wanted to bet Jim that he could make the ball diagonally in the corner if given two attempts.
This was at a time when very few people played on a ten footer at all, let alone snooker pockets.

Rempe bet him, and Richie made it on the second try. $20 in his pocket. He said he would go again.
Rempe said ok, but Tom Spencer wanted in, so he bet both of’em. Made on second attempt. Up $60.
He said he didn’t like taking their money, so he would bet again, this time in one shot. Three guys bet him, he made it. Up $120.
Now he had four guys on, he bet he would make it twice in a row. He made it both times. Now up $200.
He next bet he would make it three times in a row, but the bet had to be $100. Chicago Joe Riggie bet him. Richie made it. Up $300.

The whole thing took three minutes. No one bet him again, no matter what he wanted to do.
He turned back to where I was, and said let’s go over to the lunch counter, I’ll buy burgers. I never forgot that little piece of time.

Will Prout

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was talking with Richie in 1974 at Joe Burns’ Forest Park billiards in Dayton at a tournament. Late at night.
We were standing by the snooker table, and someone walked by (I think it was Rempe).
He stopped Jim, set the cue ball in the jaws of the corner pocket and placed a ball in the center of the 10-foot table.
He wanted to bet Jim that he could make the ball diagonally in the corner if given two attempts.
This was at a time when very few people played on a ten footer at all, let alone snooker pockets.

Rempe bet him, and Richie made it on the second try. $20 in his pocket. He said he would go again.
Rempe said ok, but Tom Spencer wanted in, so he bet both of’em. Made on second attempt. Up $60.
He said he didn’t like taking their money, so he would bet again, this time in one shot. Three guys bet him, he made it. Up $120.
Now he had four guys on, he bet he would make it twice in a row. He made it both times. Now up $200.
He next bet he would make it three times in a row, but the bet had to be $100. Chicago Joe Riggie bet him. Richie made it. Up $300.

The whole thing took three minutes. No one bet him again, no matter what he wanted to do.
He turned back to where I was, and said let’s go over to the lunch counter, I’ll buy burgers. I never forgot that little piece of time.

Will Prout

Love it! My man Richie. He played Rempe in the finals of the Burlington, Iowa tournament in 1976, 10K for first and 5K for second. I think they saved a thousand, so 9K and 6K. Jimmy won and Richie got word (from me) that the promoter was getting ready to go south (he had plane tickets to Vegas) with all the prize money. Richie took a goon to the promoters hotel room and managed to get paid his 5K. Rempe got left holding the bag. He may have eventually got paid because the promoter was stopped by the cops before he could flee town. I'm not sure if they got all the money though. Ah, the good ole days! :)

P.S. I played in that tournament and won my first match. Then I played Richie Ambrose and Richie Florence back to back, and I was out. Zero, nada!

Last edited:

cambrose

Registered
BTW, someone mentioned that Richie said our last name is D'Ambrosia...... Good info. It was probably that when his father came over from Italy, then on the ship's manifest it was listed as Ambrosi....then it changed to Ambrose. I guess that happens as it passes through many hands. Thanks for the great stories.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BTW, someone mentioned that Richie said our last name is D'Ambrosia...... Good info. It was probably that when his father came over from Italy, then on the ship's manifest it was listed as Ambrosi....then it changed to Ambrose. I guess that happens as it passes through many hands. Thanks for the great stories.

Do you know what year he was born and what his full name is?

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris...There are many knowledgeable posters here, many with long reaching capabilities. If Richie has passed away, someone will know. It's interesting that much effort was made six months ago, but no information came of it. Here's hoping for a better resolution this time! Prayers for your father...was he ever a poolplayer?

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Probably just changed it himself informally to make it more American especially if he was a salesman at some point. I knew one moron who changed his name informally from Rutigliano to Rutiglan, a name that exists nowhere on earth. When I asked his gf if his real name was Rutigliano, she was shocked i could have ever figured that out-lol!!

Last edited:

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bump to the front page for more eyes...

Scott Lee

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was he known as NY Richie? Saw him play Harry Petros(Phila) at Stanley McDowels room in NJ. Best 9 ball I ever watched, Started out at $100 ...went to $1000 shortly after.

cambrose

Registered
Chris...There are many knowledgeable posters here, many with long reaching capabilities. If Richie has passed away, someone will know. It's interesting that much effort was made six months ago, but no information came of it. Here's hoping for a better resolution this time! Prayers for your father...was he ever a poolplayer?

Scott Lee
Thanks Scott. No, my dad was a Salesman for GE for many years, but we lost touch with Richie many years ago. I know he said he was World 9 Ball Champ and World Trick Shot Champ. He said he beat Fats and Mosconi as well. But, I guess they all beat each other at some point. Thanks again! Chris

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I've not seen Richie since the 1980's and only knew him as "Richie from the Bronx" back then. Classy shooter. Hope he's OK but fear the worst.