Balabushka cues

RabbiHippie

"Look! A real hippie!"
Silver Member
Thanks for sharing the Adams Helmstetter catalog from May 1992.

I bought the GB-2 model at the list price of $500 in that timeframe. Being just a teenager, that cue became my most valued possession. I don’t recall now how I came by the funds, but for me it was quite an extravagant purchase. Guarded that cue jealously and never let another player touch it.

Even though it was a replica, it was a cue that drew stares in every pool room I walked into. Played well and the way the butt and shaft joined together at the joint was a bit unique for among production cues that I knew of.

I’ve still got my GB-2 and it’s a little worse for wear but until recently it was my regular player. Now I have a custom cue that has a low deflection shaft that puts spin on the ball like I never imagined, but I still carry the GB-2 to use on break shots and for its sentimental value.

I just assumed the replicas depreciated in value and would never bring what I’d originally in 1992. Is that still true? Or is there a market for the replicas made in Japan? They’re fantastic cues and I can’t say anything bad about them. I remember hearing that for a production cue their playability was just a shade below custom.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanx for that....I have probably misspelled Balabushka a lot

it's a funny name, knowing some russian i have tried to trace it's etymology. i think it comes from балабушкi, which are garlic mini-bread rolls. maybe his father/ancestor was a baker

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Farr has an original Adams GB cue made in Japan listed in the F/S section.

It is listed at a great price too......$575 and this GB cue was not made in China.

Last edited: