New forum rules regarding posting of links

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Please adhere to these new rules regarding news links in messages here on the forums.

We are not enacting any major changes and these rules will not affect the vast majority of posters.

1. If you are simply posting a link outside of AzB and your name as a message, it is against the rules.

2. Posting a thread from the forums on your own forum and directing people to your forum to continue the conversation is against the rules.

3. If someone asks about the results of an event that has not been posted on AzB front page, a link to the results on another billiards site is perfectly acceptable. (we sometimes miss an event)

Breaking these rules will result in the message being removed and a warning issued to the poster. Repeating breaking of these results will result in a loss of posting privileges.

That is it.

Thanks for reading.

tonmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...and related to this, if you'd like to advertise on AZB, view their advertising information!

Please adhere to these new rules regarding news links in messages here on the forums.

We are not enacting any major changes and these rules will not affect the vast majority of posters.

1. If you are simply posting a link outside of AzB and your name as a message, it is against the rules.

2. Posting a thread from the forums on your own forum and directing people to your forum to continue the conversation is against the rules.

3. If someone asks about the results of an event that has not been posted on AzB front page, a link to the results on another billiards site is perfectly acceptable. (we sometimes miss an event)

Breaking these rules will result in the message being removed and a warning issued to the poster. Repeating breaking of these results will result in a loss of posting privileges.

That is it.

Thanks for reading.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I understand it a link to my website in my signature is against the rules.

A link to an article on my pool player's web site is against the rules.

I will remove the link from my signature and will not link to articles in the future.

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
Silliness. Some day maybe you'll get a clue about the original spirit of the internet. It was not about protecting one's turf.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
As I understand it a link to my website in my signature is against the rules.

A link to an article on my pool player's web site is against the rules.

I will remove the link from my signature and will not link to articles in the future.

Joe,

I don't think either of these are within what Mike has posted here.

The link in your signature is ok as long as you've made a comment or posed a question in the post.

If you're not copying a thread from AZB and placing it on your own forum then directing others to your forum, you're ok.

That's how I interpret what Mike posted. I"m sure he will clarify as needed.

Hope you're enjoying Florida. Will try to swing by next time we are headed down to Sanibel.

Quoting from Mike's original post below:

That is it.

Thanks for reading.

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Dr9Ball. Better safe than sorry. There is a link to my web site in my signature and that is probably sufficient. I will wait and see what he means by external links to one's own site.

Would like to see you if you get down this way. We have four 9' GCIII in our clubhouse and it is a nice place to play. We are just off I 75 so it is not much of a diversion -- maybe 15 miles.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm sure that Mike will clarify

Thanks Dr9Ball. Better safe than sorry. There is a link to my web site in my signature and that is probably sufficient. I will wait and see what he means by external links to one's own site.

Would like to see you if you get down this way. We have four 9' GCIII in our clubhouse and it is a nice place to play. We are just off I 75 so it is not much of a diversion -- maybe 15 miles.

I'm sure that Mike will clarify but as I read it posting links and such is fine as long as they aren't purely designed to move traffic to another site and as long as there is other real content in the post. Obviously many posts would be of far less value without links in them but the link shouldn't be the central focus of the post as I understand things.

As a note on some of the other replies, all that Mike is doing seems perfectly reasonable to me. He is just fine tuning his site a little to provide greater value to his readers and himself. Hard to argue with that.

Hu

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
youtube links are perfectly ok.

Links to Dr Dave's site are perfectly ok. (Dr Dave has contributed greatly to the conversation here.)

A link in a signature file is completely ok.

Joe, links to your articles are perfectly ok. (You have also contributed greatly to the conversation here)

(When I mention "contributing to the conversation", I do not mean "donated money". I mean "been a part of the conversation".)

What is not ok is simply starting a thread with a link to a post on your site. This site is for pool conversation. It is not for people who do not contribute to the conversation trying to draw folks to an ad covered website that really doesn't have anything to do with pool.

Catscradle, I am well aware of what the internet is for and I had to think long and hard on how to handle this. This new rule has no effect on the vast majority (well over 99%) of users.

Mike

JoeW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for clairifying. I did not want to be in violation and was not trying to draw you out. Your comments make it clear to me.

Mike in MN

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
youtube links are perfectly ok.

Links to Dr Dave's site are perfectly ok. (Dr Dave has contributed greatly to the conversation here.)

A link in a signature file is completely ok.

Joe, links to your articles are perfectly ok. (You have also contributed greatly to the conversation here)

(When I mention "contributing to the conversation", I do not mean "donated money". I mean "been a part of the conversation".)

What is not ok is simply starting a thread with a link to a post on your site. This site is for pool conversation. It is not for people who do not contribute to the conversation trying to draw folks to an ad covered website that really doesn't have anything to do with pool.
Catscradle, I am well aware of what the internet is for and I had to think long and hard on how to handle this. This new rule has no effect on the vast majority (well over 99%) of users.

Mike

THANK YOU SO MUCH. There is a member here who need not be named that was getting on my last nerve because all he/she would do was post links to articles written for some sort of periodical. So annoying. I like this newly enacted rule.

1pRoscoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so long as you don't start new threads with just that link.
:wink:

Mike

Perhaps you should inform the other "powers that be" that this is the case, as "they" have been on a rampage to warn/delete anything with that reference.... even when specifically asking for a website with a lot of detailed cue pictures and I provided a link to a large gallery of collector cues there.

-Ross
thinks power should be in moderation

Last edited:

ridewiththewind

&#9829; Hippie Hustler &#9829;
Silver Member
Just so long as you don't start new threads with just that link.
:wink:

Mike

Thanks Mike...that clears things up quite a bit...and I applaud you for your decision on this.

While, due to my current personal reality, I have not been contributing as much as of late...I am a member of both sites, and can honestly say that often there may be a conversation found on one that may not be equally covered in another.

Thanks for the clarification!!!

Lisa

ridewiththewind

&#9829; Hippie Hustler &#9829;
Silver Member
Wow! Am I outta the loop!!!!! I am so outta the loop, that I am loopless! LoL!!

Nevermind. :sorry:

8 Ball Twisted

background and question

I recently launched a new I Phone, I Pod touch and I Pad App called 8 Ball Twisted. You actually play the App while you are playing 8 Ball. The cards decide your fate: Make a 2 bank shot, Switch Balls with Opponent, Shoot the 8 Ball Now to Win, as some card examples.

Unlike my pool shark brothers I have always been pool challenged to say the least. I created the cards to level the playing field, while still challenging the best players.

I have found that introducing the cards gets more people involved in playing that might normally sit on the sidelines due to skill level.

It also increases the social aspect of the game. One card is, Switch Partners with your Opponents. You start playing with one person and may end up winning with another. The ultimate ice breaker.

My question. Can I talk about my game on this forum and attach the link for the app?