Best Pocket Size

Roll Out

Registered
Curious what people think is the best pocket size for different games. Is 4 1/4 inches good for all games or only good for one pocket? Or is that too loose for serious one pocket? I assume that 4 1/2 is good for all rotation games but some people think that's too loose and that 4 3/8th is best. Straight pool seems best at 4 3/4 as that allows attempting rack shots, etc.
Obviously shelf depth and rail angles matter, but assuming the pockets take a firmly hit shot, what size do you prefer and why.

Thanks

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
I think it depends on the level of the players. To hear some folks on here talk even 2 3/4 pockets are too big for them. I wish there was a universal standard for pockets that everyone could play on. 4 1/2 is probably a good choice though I don't see anything wrong with 5 inch pockets. I have them on my table and I still haven't run a hundred in straight pool. As a viewer of pool matches, I would rather see racks being run more so than pros missing balls.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I think it depends on the level of the players. To hear some folks on here talk even 2 3/4 pockets are too big for them. I wish there was a universal standard for pockets that everyone could play on. 4 1/2 is probably a good choice though I don't see anything wrong with 5 inch pockets. I have them on my table and I still haven't run a hundred in straight pool. As a viewer of pool matches, I would rather see racks being run more so than pros missing balls.

Might not be the pockets stopping your 100 ball run:thumbup:

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Curious what people think is the best pocket size for different games. Is 4 1/4 inches good for all games or only good for one pocket? Or is that too loose for serious one pocket? I assume that 4 1/2 is good for all rotation games but some people think that's too loose and that 4 3/8th is best. Straight pool seems best at 4 3/4 as that allows attempting rack shots, etc.
Obviously shelf depth and rail angles matter, but assuming the pockets take a firmly hit shot, what size do you prefer and why.

Thanks

There are two easy ways to ruin a table; too tight and too loose.

I like 4.25 with a shallow shelf and 4.5 with a deeper shelf. 4" and smaller takes the bank game away. This is for all games.

Sides should always be at least 5" or you ruin it, in my opinion. You need to be able to cut balls near the rail into the side, especially in straight pool. Tigher than 5" and the side will jar a ball out.

Last edited:

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really haven't had much else on my mind lately other than the questions asked by the O.P. I have a disassembled, used, 9 foot Gold Crown IV sitting on the floor right in front of me and I can't call a mechanic to set it up until make a decision as to the pocket specs.

I have many opinions on this matter, but every time I try to formulate an opinion coherently enough to express it in written form I keep coming to new unformulated opinions which distract me from my original intention of formulating an opinion. At this point I'm tempted to write 1000 words of unformulated opinions, but if I do that someone's gonna tell me, as a poster did a few months ago, to "Put down what you're smoking and type with both hands."

I'm gonna do just that...tomorrow.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pocket sizes playing with every ones mind these days. Leave them all alone at 4 1/2 or 4 5/8. Bring back old rules so we can see gears kick in. alternate racks ect. ruining the excitement of the game. Are we playing Obama game everyone gets a fair shot? Oh what about old rules for 9ball 2 ball push & scratch cb behind head string & ob spotted iron mans pool who can play safe & shoot? Must admit pool has changed so much right with the economy.:eek:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really haven't had much else on my mind lately other than the questions asked by the O.P. I have a disassembled, used, 9 foot Gold Crown IV sitting on the floor right in front of me and I can't call a mechanic to set it up until make a decision as to the pocket specs.

I have many opinions on this matter, but every time I try to formulate an opinion coherently enough to express it in written form I keep coming to new unformulated opinions which distract me from my original intention of formulating an opinion. At this point I'm tempted to write 1000 words of unformulated opinions, but if I do that someone's gonna tell me, as a poster did a few months ago, to "Put down what you're smoking and type with both hands."

I'm gonna do just that...tomorrow.

Would it be an option to set the table up as it is and then when you get it covered next time, make the decision?

It is a pretty long term decision. Whether you make it now or then, you will make it based upon the information on hand. Now that info is mostly thought. After a couple years of play, it will be based on actual experience with the table.

Get that mofo put together and stat playing some pool, smokey.

Party on.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cut or angle of the pocket and depth of shelf!

I've played on large and small pockets. If the cut is wrong the balls rattle when using anything other then pocket speed.

Accuracy is needless to say plays the biggest roll when it comes to stringing racks.

JMHO

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Depends on the depth of the shelf, but I think 4 1/2" is perfect from most games, and prefer a little larger (around 4 5/8") for straight pool.

Several places here have recently introduced super-tight tables (4" to 4 1/4") with cheaply-made shims that don't take banks and firm shots down the rail. It changes the game so much that you might as well play break out the reds and colors and play snooker instead.

SKILLZELITE

Universality
Gold Member
Silver Member
my preference ..

4.25" @ corners, 4.5" @ sides, , they play semi tough, but force your focus and stroke to be True .

staypuff578

Team Ramrod
Silver Member
I have 4.25" corners and 4.75" sides. I love the way my table plays, shelves are semi deep so its a perfect combination.

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would it be an option to set the table up as it is and then when you get it covered next time, make the decision?

It is a pretty long term decision. Whether you make it now or then, you will make it based upon the information on hand. Now that info is mostly thought. After a couple years of play, it will be based on actual experience with the table.

Get that mofo put together and stat playing some pool, smokey.

Party on.
Points well taken, but I'm going to go with 4.5 and 5.00. Right now it's 4.75 and 5.25. I'm tempted to leave it there as I want to work a lot on my 14.1 game; then again, I love the challenge of pure shotmaking. This tempts me to go with 4.25. Then I think about how I paid $2600 to buy this and have it delivered. I'm going to pay more to have it set up. I know I'll enjoy it at 4.5 and 5.00. There's a good overall balance there. I don't want to get too cute after paying that much and end up disappointed. What is it that President George Herbert Walker Bush used to like to say......"Time to be prudent!"

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so we are all on the same page...

...I've attached a pic of my corner pockets. These are what I consider to be 4 1/2 inch pockets. Does anybody disagree with that?

Give or take a hair.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 494

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
I enjoy practicing on a table with 4 inch corners and 4.5 inch sides. It's absolutely merciless. It's a Gandy 9 footer, so there is very little shelf. I always have an easier time on Robertson's or Diamonds even if they are shimmed to 4 / 4.5 - I think its just the way the rails are cut and the fact that the Gandy I practice on is insanely cranky and old. It will spit a ball out on a light stroke and cackle at you from time to time. I will confess that the center of all the pockets are always open :) The balls do indeed fit into them.

I prefer to play on the other Gandy tables in the room as well, they are fitted with 4.5" corner / 5" side pockets, and they are still challenging enough to give you a great game. When I go play in other rooms, I feel like I am shooting into vast caverns.

Regards,

Lesh

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just so we are all on the same page...

...I've attached a pic of my corner pockets. These are what I consider to be 4 1/2 inch pockets. Does anybody disagree with that?

Give or take a hair.
Well; the balls are 2-1/4". the points are touching the balls right in the middle; so if you took the balls away and measured from point to point you'd obviously get 4.5" There's shelf and throat, etc. To consider, but I think when most players refer to pocket size informally, they're referring to the distance between the points. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well; the balls are 2-1/4". the points are touching the balls right in the middle; so if you took the balls away and measured from point to point you'd obviously get 4.5" There's shelf and throat, etc. To consider, but I think when most players refer to pocket size informally, they're referring to the distance between the points. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's what I think of. I've never witnessed anyone measure the pocket throat.

My friends Brunswick has 5.5" pockets (point to point), but are 4.5" pockets at the back of the throat.