Ring game dispute

Who is correct?

• Total voters

DJordan816

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
While playing a 10 ball ring game player A racks the balls and player B breaks and makes the 10 ball in one of the racking corners. Player B believes he has won the rack but player A refuses to pay saying that the money ball never counts in the racking corners during a ring game. No rules were discussed prior to play. Who is correct?

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You're both wrong if you don't get something as basic as this straight before the game starts. Now you must make the rules and start over!

DJordan816

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're both wrong if you don't get something as basic as this straight before the game starts. Now you must make the rules and start over!

I totally agree Jay but how do you handle this rack? BTW it was only a cheap friendly game so the money is not the issue it’s more about who is right lol

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No rules were established prior to the game? They both owe me money then. Anytime no rules are established I automatically win all the cash.

I'll accept a cashier's check or postal money order.

dabarbr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since this is not a written rule flip a coin and the coin will settle it and for the rest of the game.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn’t the 10 spot up and not be a game winner?
Semantics I know;)
I like the coin flip
the way I usually play you get paid on that 10 because the
person breaking, is not also racking.

Establish rules, this is anarchy

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kind of a goofy question and poll, as one of the most obvious answers is not among the answers suggested in the question, and not a choice in the poll.

If rules aren't discussed at the start but the game is named, then the rules are the default rules of the named game. In ten ball, when the ten ball is potted on the break, it is spotted.

Is there a default set of rules for a ten ball ring game? If this is a ring game, is anyone else playing? If not, why is it a ring game? Where did this idea of racking corners come from regarding the ten dropping on the break.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Neither

Since this is not a written rule flip a coin and the coin will settle it and for the rest of the game.

Bingo..........that's the way we always did it. If not then something else might be going on.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are many different sets of rules for ring games that are commonly used. It's obviously important to clarify them before the game starts.

If the 10 ball is the only money ball, then I would default to the 10 counting in any pocket or not at all. To specify the bottom two pockets not counting is too specific of a rule to be assumed without prior discussion.

If you are playing with two money balls (i.e. 5 ball & 10 ball), and the 10 ball is made early (on the break or early combo), the 10 ball will spot up as long as the 5 is still on the table. So if you make the 10 on the break and the 5 stays up, you will get paid for the early 10, spot up the 10, and keep shooting. This gives you a third opportunity to get paid in a single rack. If the 10 is made early again in the same rack, you get paid again and it spots up again as long as the 5 is still on the table. Technically, it's possible to get paid countless times for the 10 ball in a single rack.

There are also a lot of strange rules that come into play when you scratch. What happens if you make a ball and scratch? Place cue ball in kitchen? What happens if the lowest numbered object ball is in the kitchen? Does the ball before the money ball spot after a scratch? Can you get a free shot at a money ball after a scratch? What happens if you make a money ball and scratch? All important things to consider before the game.

Jerry R

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were you playing call shot/pocket? If you were, I would say the game can't be won on a uncalled shot. Isn't that why the 10 spots in normal 10-ball rules?

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Were you playing call shot/pocket? If you were, I would say the game can't be won on a uncalled shot. Isn't that why the 10 spots in normal 10-ball rules?

Ring games are never call shot / pocket Jerry!!

Neither is correct on this question. Figure out the rules and start over.....

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They didn't discuss the rules at first, then anything goes. Pay the man and then discuss some rules if you don't like what you got. Or don't pay and be a nit. This is my opinion.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

^^^ THIS... for 10 Ball, you have to know beforehand when the 10 ball
counts as a win... it could NEVER count on the break.

FeelDaShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. Why did that guy rake the balls at the end of the match?

"That guy" is Dima, one of DD's backers. He decided to rake the balls because DD was losing 14-2 in a race to 15 and he decided to concede the match to renegotiate the weight for a rematch the following night.