A great explanation on how to post images

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
old users too!

Steve does have the place to go for one pocket.

Old users could often stand some lessons on posting pictures too. I post, but I "Cheat" cutting and pasting links into my message instead of using the proper procedure which I have struggled with. Guess I will be watching Steve's video!

Hu

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Philip Green

Registered

Attachments

• ppppppp.jpg
    ppppppp.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 485

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is moot advice with the new Xenforo platform. However, that is a really nice thing about Xenforo -- it is very easy to add images. (y)

stryper

Put some pics on my pin thread of my mystery cue by taking a screenshot. And it seems to work well!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201218-154136_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201218-154136_Chrome.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 284

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
I use a program called ShareX, I can either right-click an image and select "Upload to imgur" and it automatically does that and copies the link to my clipboard, or click my shareX icon in the toolbar and then select any area of the screen for a screenshot that I can then upload to imgur with another click, then paste the link into the box that pops up in the bbcode menu, and it will show right up in any post.

mM8Qqjs.jpeg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use a program called ShareX, I can either right-click an image and select "Upload to imgur" and it automatically does that and copies the link to my clipboard, or click my shareX icon in the toolbar and then select any area of the screen for a screenshot that I can then upload to imgur with another click, then paste the link into the box that pops up in the bbcode menu, and it will show right up in any post. ...
If I understand this correctly, the image is stored somewhere other than on AZB. I suppose an advantage of that is that the image can be larger than the AZB limit of 1MB, but a huge disadvantage is that if imgur goes away, AZB is left with a blank spot. That has happened for multiple third-party image storage sites.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
a huge disadvantage is that if imgur goes away, AZB is left with a blank spot. That has happened for multiple third-party image storage sites.
True enough. I've also seen forums lose their databases and/or files if not properly backed up or when changing software.
Just about any site you host an image on has a limited lifespan.

Last edited:
If I understand this correctly, the image is stored somewhere other than on AZB. I suppose an advantage of that is that the image can be larger than the AZB limit of 1MB, but a huge disadvantage is that if imgur goes away, AZB is left with a blank spot. That has happened for multiple third-party image storage sites.
Aha, so 1MB is the limit? That's not as bad as the aforementioned 200KB

Yeah, in this age of 50, 108, and 200 MP phone cams, it's a bummer to hafta kill resolution to meet the limitation after goin' out of yer way to take the best pics ya can

For anyone else using a phone, that shows up here because of this, I found you can still take hi-res pics, then crop 'em to get the file size down w/o compromising image quality, at least for cues, since they don't take up much of the frame

You can check image file size by clicking the image in gallery, then hitting the 3 menu dots, then details
...it shows size in KB/MB and MP

Alternatively (on samsung anyway, I cant speak for others)...if you go to the pic in the gallery, then edit, then hit the 3 menu dots...there's a resize feature where you can shrink it by 20, 40, 60, or 80%
...but this will diminish quality too

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
With new smart phones, especially the new iPhone 15 Max Pro, having an image size limit of 1MB is extremely limiting, and will trip up nearly everyone trying to upload a pic from their phone. Sure, by cropping them down, sometimes you can get them small enough with severe cropping - but often that’s difficult or impossible due to the content of the image.

iPhones do NOT come with a built-in image resizing feature (yes, you can crop them down, but see above).

I’m a techie, so have no problem resizing images in myriad ways. But it’s still a major PIA.

I strongly urge the admins to up the image size limit to at least 10 MB if they want users here to have an easier time posting images.

That said, in the mean time, here is a good free app called “Resize It” for resizing images on your iPhone:

For the site owner/admin: here is how to up the limit in XenForo:
https://xenforo.com/community/threads/image-size-limit-tips-please.209843/post-1596574

(paging @azhousepro)

Last edited:

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Bigger images = more storage = more $$$ and a slower site. 10MB images are nice if you're printing them, but for web use it's overkill.
It's not that hard to resize an image, plenty of sites for just that thing if people can't figure out how to do it on their own devices.

DeadStick

i like turtles
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bigger images = more storage = more $$$ and a slower site. 10MB images are nice if you're printing them, but for web use it's overkill.
It's not that hard to resize an image, plenty of sites for just that thing if people can't figure out how to do it on their own devices.

I’ve been a coder and operator for web and mobile since ‘98 - I understand your concerns.

But if you read the discussion on the link I provided, you’ll see XenForo can automatically optimize uploaded images to an appropriate resolution and size for the web. In fact, this site already does resize uploaded images. Bottom line, the site won’t be slower.

Besides, bandwidths are nearly universally fast enough these days to display relatively high-res images without a dramatic slowdown for end users.

As for storage costing more money, storage has never been cheaper, and is still trending down. For a site of this size and active user count, I’d be surprised by a change in costs over $10/mo. And the original uploads aren’t stored, only the resized ones.

The real problem is inconveniencing users, and losing out on otherwise good images they would have posted from their phones. See it all the time by guys trying to upload pics of their cues for sale or whatever and saying they can’t.

Even for a guy like me, who knows what to do, it makes me not want to bother. The other day I wrote up a detailed review from my iPhone of the Rhino CF shaft, and uploaded 11 quality pics for it. Had to resize every one of them. Way harder/more time than it should have taken.

The 1MB limit is not appropriate for 2023. No “good” online communities make it this hard. In fact, I’ve never run into a site that wouldn’t let me upload images from my phone directly. The site will suffer from less quality content submitted, and more confused/annoyed users.

Last edited:

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Steve Booth over at Onepocket.org put together a nice little video explaining how to post images to the forums. Hopefully it will answer some of the questions that new users have...

And when you are done here on AzB, check out his site at onepocket.org
How about one for mobile?? For Android OS??
Steve Booth over at Onepocket.org put together a nice little video explaining how to post images to the forums. Hopefully it will answer some of the questions that new users have...

And when you are done here on AzB, check out his site at onepocket.org
How about one for mobile?? Android OS.