CJ Wiley - Got to meet and play a few racks

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I got the Privilege to meet CJ at a Club I play from time to time in my neck of the woods . My Son and I were playing in a 9 ball tournament and around 10 :30 CJ comes in and goes to the basement to practice. My Son and I had been hoping we could get a chance to talk to him. I went over to him and he was a Super Guy and was very nice. He answered alot of question's which i know were problay silly to him but the fact that he not only took the time to answer them he also took the time to show us as well . That speaks volumes for me as he could have very easily said get lost . He took the time to play a few racks with us , from which he ran out very quickly and you can see why he is a Professional . His control was very impressive , his shot making power 2nd to none. He just seem to drive the balls in from every angle. If it was as easy as he made it look then I would turned pro years ago lol. Cj also took the time to autograph some stuff for us . I was very impressed with how he played and conducted himself and I just wanted to Thank him for taking the time to do so. He gives private lesson's and I would like to do that , If he is in your area take him up on the lesson's as it would be well worth the price of admission . Thank you CJ for taking time for us, We will never forget it .

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

I got the Privilege to meet CJ at a Club I play from time to time in my neck of the woods . My Son and I were playing in a 9 ball tournament and around 10 :30 CJ comes in and goes to the basement to practice. My Son and I had been hoping we could get a chance to talk to him. I went over to him and he was a Super Guy and was very nice. He answered alot of question's which i know were problay silly to him but the fact that he not only took the time to answer them he also took the time to show us as well . That speaks volumes for me as he could have very easily said get lost . He took the time to play a few racks with us , from which he ran out very quickly and you can see why he is a Professional . His control was very impressive , his shot making power 2nd to none. He just seem to drive the balls in from every angle. If it was as easy as he made it look then I would turned pro years ago lol. Cj also took the time to autograph some stuff for us . I was very impressed with how he played and conducted himself and I just wanted to Thank him for taking the time to do so. He gives private lesson's and I would like to do that , If he is in your area take him up on the lesson's as it would be well worth the price of admission . Thank you CJ for taking time for us, We will never forget it .

CJ is a good dude and he knows pool.

Looking forward to the next time he visits Hawaii.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yea , CJ for sure knows his way around a table. He was popping in shots , very impressive.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He was in MN last year and I watched him hit a few at
Jimmy's. Sure does put some speed on the
ball. I can't think of another pro that plays like that.
Those pocket were not buckets either.

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have taken a few lessons from CJ and have watched him play a couple of times. Good guy, 100% class, one of the all time greats in his prime.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks PoolFan101

Thanks for that testament to C.J.'s character; Although I have never met him, I gathered as much from his style and demeanor in his videos and his articulation in his postings and stories. A "class guy" is an apt description, in my opinion. As for his shooting ability, anybody who has purportedly won as much money as he has, being a road player, defeated both Efren and Earl in past tournament competitions, needs no other credentials on his pool shooting ability or resume, as far as I'm concerned. You rock, C.J.!

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for that testament to C.J.'s character; Although I have never met him, I gathered as much from his style and demeanor in his videos and his articulation in his postings and stories. A "class guy" is an apt description, in my opinion. As for his shooting ability, anybody who has purportedly won as much money as he has, being a road player, defeated both Efren and Earl in past tournament competitions, needs no other credentials on his pool shooting ability or resume, as far as I'm concerned. You rock, C.J.!

You are Welcome and I just stated the truth. CJ is one of the Greatest, I am also a member of his website. A plethora of pool knowledge and fundamentals that you can learn from. I highly recommend it. Well worth the price of admission.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Glad to have the opportunity!

Hello ,

You're certainly welcome, I enjoyed playing with you guys and answering your questions. Glad to have the memorable opportunity, and hopefully we'll get together for a lesson some day, I'll be around your home town for another week here in Kentucky.

Play Well, the Game is the Teacher

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Very cool match here. Both players play fast and loose, neither one wasting any time. No need for a shot clock here. My observations - the GC played pretty loose as well, both players were not nearly as precise with their safety game as today's champs, and of course it was both good and bad to see the colorful Tony Ellin in his prime shortly before his death at an early age. CJ was in his prime then too, a money game monster and budding tournament champion.

I enjoyed Jimmy Mataya's commentary in this match and also his co-com Bill Cress. Mataya is very well known, Cress not so much so. Bill was an old time road man who lived and played pool all over the country for decades. He had finally landed in the Seattle area and was part of the school of sharks taking bites out of Harry Platis' bankroll. He was a super likeable guy and very popular with the other pool players of that era. He had a dry sense of humor and a quick wit in any situation. Another one of those guys who kept things loose around the poolroom and added to the flavor of the pool life. His most quoted line was, "Pool was my passion, now it's my sentence." We lost Bill over ten years ago.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool match here.

I thought so, too.

it was both good and bad to see the colorful Tony Ellin in his prime shortly before his death at an early age.

https://apnews.com/89dcb8d2d30adbf06f15c17c62e70d54:

Professional pool player Tony Ellin was killed when his car ran into an oncoming train less than a block from his home. He was 35.

Charleston County deputy coroner Judy Koelpin said Ellin died instantly from internal trauma caused when the train hit his 1999 Cadillac.

Norfolk & Southern Railroad trainmaster J.S. Maynard refused to comment on Wednesday’s accident.

Charleston County sheriff’s Lt. Mike Benton said Ellin apparently was trying to beat the train to the crossing. He was alone in the car.

Ellin was ranked No. 51 last year in the Pro Billiards Series. In 1998, he was No. 21 in the series.

He is survived by his wife and daughter.

A terrible tragedy. :(

CJ was in his prime then too, a money game monster and budding tournament champion.
...and quite a ladies man! Those tennis players get all the girls.

I enjoyed Jimmy Mataya's commentary in this match and also his co-com Bill Cress. Mataya is very well known, Cress not so much so. Bill was an old time road man who lived and played pool all over the country for decades. He had finally landed in the Seattle area and was part of the school of sharks taking bites out of Harry Platis' bankroll. He was a super likeable guy and very popular with the other pool players of that era. He had a dry sense of humor and a quick wit in any situation. Another one of those guys who kept things loose around the poolroom and added to the flavor of the pool life. His most quoted line was, "Pool was my passion, now it's my sentence." We lost Bill over ten years ago.
Thanks for the backstories.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
in eastern Kentucky now, heading back to Lexington tomorrow

I’m in key 20 miles south bowling green

I'm in eastern Kentucky now, heading back to Lexington tomorrow for a few days.

Let me know if yourself and/or some friends want to schedule a private session, I make a lot of house calls these days.

email cjwiley@cjwiley.com to contact me anytime.