Pool league ownership money making scheme?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I am hoping we can stay professional and on topic. I recently had my last night of playing APA. It might be back in the fall or it might not. The reason being is the League operator is selling it. Apparently you have to buy a franchise. The franchise costs 15 thousand dollars I think is what they said.

Can someone explain to me how buying a pool franchise works? Please explain it to me like I am 5 and have no idea how a franchise even works. Cause truthfully I really have no idea.

Here is how I understand a franchise. You pay someone money to buy a portion of it. They give you a packet and say do everything by the letter and if you do you will make money. You also have to pay them a fee every year for using there methods and such.

I have also looked into TSPN and that looks like a pyramid scheme.

I am not complaining. I just cant believe that pool has this much money making aspect to it. It feels like people want to win it big at pool than just have fun.

I believe I have said this before the reason I want to play pool is cause it is fun and something to do to keep from being bored.

Thanks

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I am hoping we can stay professional and on topic. I recently had my last night of playing APA. It might be back in the fall or it might not. The reason being is the League operator is selling it. Apparently you have to buy a franchise. The franchise costs 15 thousand dollars I think is what they said.

Can someone explain to me how buying a pool franchise works? Please explain it to me like I am 5 and have no idea how a franchise even works. Cause truthfully I really have no idea.

Here is how I understand a franchise. You pay someone money to buy a portion of it. They give you a packet and say do everything by the letter and if you do you will make money. You also have to pay them a fee every year for using there methods and such.

I am not complaining. I just cant believe that pool has this much money making aspect to it. It feels like people want to win it big at pool than just have fun.

I believe I have said this before the reason I want to play pool is cause it is fun and something to do to keep from being bored.

Thanks
I know some legal operators in some locations do extremely well, but if this league operator is looking to sell, you certainly need to look in to the reasons as to why he’s looking to sell. Possibly that he’s not making enough $ to make it worth his time.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Did you offer $8?

Thanks

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I wouldn't buy a Pool League Franchise if you wanted to give it to me during Covid, unless of course you are figuring on developing it later. JMHO 15k isn't
worth it unless there are a lot of bars in the area and during Covid those bars might not be in business long. RIght now, selling is an act of desperation.

Thanks

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leagues are cancer killing pool.

One guy wins..and the corporation.
This is not what pool is about.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know some legal operators in some locations do extremely well, but if this league operator is looking to sell, you certainly need to look in to the reasons as to why he’s looking to sell. Possibly that he’s not making enough $ to make it worth his time.

I know part of the reason. The guy drove 266 miles to do the league and also visit his father who also did the league.

Also there were only 2 teams at least for the little tail end league thing they did because of corona.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
google 'franchise', please.

nobody here is going to drill into the matter as it pertains to pool leagues with any complete explanation. It is a product and the more or less the owner sells, the more or less he makes. 'He' can be either the league operator or the APA.

Have you SERIOUSLY not yet learned that everybody wants your money just as much as you dont want them to have it?

Thanks

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
google 'franchise', please.

nobody here is going to drill into the matter as it pertains to pool leagues with any complete explanation. It is a product and the more or less the owner sells, the more or less he makes. 'He' can be either the league operator or the APA.

Have you SERIOUSLY not yet learned that everybody wants your money just as much as you dont want them to have it?

I really have no idea what you mean by everyone wants my money just as much as I don't want them to have it? I am fine paying people money for a service. Like today I paid for a lyft ride both ways to a DR appointment. I bought some pizza. Why would I not want them to have my money?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really have no idea what you mean by everyone wants my money just as much as I don't want them to have it? I am fine paying people money for a service. Like today I paid for a lyft ride both ways to a DR appointment. I bought some pizza. Why would I not want them to have my money?
What area are you in that you use Lyft rides?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What area are you in that you use Lyft rides?
At last report it was western South Dakota, but that was when JL was a 450-pound woman. Things may have changed since then.

Bob <-- really needs a scorecard to keep up

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
giphy.gif

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leagues are cancer killing pool.

One guy wins..and the corporation.
This is not what pool is about.

Your right. We don’t want people making money off pool!! This is crazy!! It ruined golf and bowling lol we don’t want anything that would bring 1000s of people to this game!!!

I will never understand the concept that handy Capp pool leagues our ruining the game yet bowling and golf leagues are packed with that kind of concept and it’s perfectly fine.

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I will never understand the concept that handy Capp pool leagues our ruining the game yet bowling and golf leagues are packed with that kind of concept and it’s perfectly fine.

I'll stand with you on this one...

The various leagues in my area pack the halls to the brim. Most of those players only play on league nights. No league, no influx of players.

I couldn't count how many times I've seen would be players agree to join a team and give it a go for the first time. How would these non-players get pulled into the fold otherwise...?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Because money is a finite resource.