Came up with a game. Am I reinventing the wheel?

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I came up with the game. I'm wondering if I'm Reinventing the wheel and this has already been done?

Basically I call it fifteen ball it's like 9 ball with 15 balls. You rack a standard set of 15 balls. The one is at the front of the triangle. The 9-ball is right next to the one. The two and the 10 ball are at the other corners of the triangle. And the 15 ball is where the 8-ball normally is. You break and any balls you make on the break that are out of order you have to respot. You have to shoot the balls in order and you cannot hit a ball into another ball to make it. So for example if you make a one ball in then you have to make the two and you cannot hit the two into the 5 to make the five. If you do it would just be spotted and you would lose your turn.

If you shoot the cue ball and you hit the wrong ball or you do not hit any balls or you make the wrong ball in. The cue ball stays where it is and your opponent does not get ball in hand. You only get ball in hand if the opponent scratches.

So thoughts?

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I came up with the game. I'm wondering if I'm Reinventing the wheel and this has already been done?

Basically I call it fifteen ball it's like 9 ball with 15 balls. You rack a standard set of 15 balls. The one is at the front of the triangle. The 9-ball is right next to the one. The two and the 10 ball are at the other corners of the triangle. And the 15 ball is where the 8-ball normally is. You break and any balls you make on the break that are out of order you have to respot. You have to shoot the balls in order and you cannot hit a ball into another ball to make it. So for example if you make a one ball in then you have to make the two and you cannot hit the two into the 5 to make the five. If you do it would just be spotted and you would lose your turn.

If you shoot the cue ball and you hit the wrong ball or you do not hit any balls or you make the wrong ball in. The cue ball stays where it is and your opponent does not get ball in hand. You only get ball in hand if the opponent scratches.

So thoughts?
Maybe I missed something here in your description, but how do you determine the winner of the game?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's restrictive to the extent that it seems a better drill than game. Reminds me of biker rules that state every detail of a shot must be stipulated or it's slop.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry about that winner makes the 15 ball.
In that case, for anyone below pro level, the first half of the game is rather meaningless. It wouldn’t really get interesting until you get down to the last 7 or 8 balls on the table.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
. .

Attachments

• 20200730_194115_copy_296x211.jpg
    20200730_194115_copy_296x211.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 446

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
How about the game just being creating shots?

Its like counting, it’s more shallow than people think.

No winning no losing just exploration for both on and off the table shots

As for OP game

Need some time to try it out. New rotations put a clever spin on old patterns.

Sounds good prevents excessive turn taking. Defensive play could last a long time?

Should generate a great list of shots that result in stalemate games.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Reinventing the wheel?....I don’t think so.
If someone asked me to play that game...I would tell him to think a little more on it.
...and does this mean you’ve mastered the games that actually exist?

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Jaime, you're spamming up the boards. How about one new thread a week?

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
How bout a game where the breaker breaks then shoots till he misses then the opponent gets to shoot, who ever makes the money ball wins.

Cuebuddy>>>invents pretty good....no?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Jaime is trying to figure out how to stretch that dollar.

New game means new tour.

I’d watch for an overflow of new players.

Get It, overflow, it’s a classic honeypot

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
A new game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYhYJS7LC_Y

So thoughts?

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
You might try a Four handed Full Rack rotation game. I think it was first called Cowboy Pocket Billiards, but we used to call it Odd Ball. Whom ever makes the one, is partners with the player that makes the 9. I'm not explain the rules, I think you can find it somewhere, BCA rule book might be a good place to start.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

So thoughts?

There is a game called rotation you shoot them in order 1-15, although there are no restrictions with combinations I actually don't know of a game that actively has no combinations allowed or spotting any balls in a rotation game, past some rules where the game winner has to go last in 9 or 10 ball.

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You might try a Four handed Full Rack rotation game. I think it was first called Cowboy Pocket Billiards, but we used to call it Odd Ball. Whom ever makes the one, is partners with the player that makes the 9. I'm not explain the rules, I think you can find it somewhere, BCA rule book might be a good place to start.

Odd ball is a great partner game, particularly when played by four players of fairly equal ability.

cue4me

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know about re-inventing the wheel, but the way this game is described sounds overly difficult and not very well thought out. Quite honestly, it doesn't even sound like it would be fun to play.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

So thoughts?

A game very similar to that already exists, its called American Rotation I believe, its basically 10 ball with more balls. I think Joe Tucker was trying to get a nation wide league started in American Rotation a few years ago.