Which Breaks Better - Diamonds Or Gold Crowns?

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this is sort of a general - very general - type question but I recall a comment on one of my Accu-Stats videos made, I believe, by Billy Incardona that typically Gold Crowns dont really break that well. At that time it was a GCIV. Which is what I have. And its been a bad breaking table from Day One back in early January of 2003.

So, which table typically/historically gives up balls, and is considered the better breaking table - Diamonds or Gold Crowns?

r/DCP

p.s. fire away with the insults all you want.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know this is sort of a general - very general - type question but I recall a comment on one of my Accu-Stats videos made, I believe, by Billy Incardona that typically Gold Crowns dont really break that well. At that time it was a GCIV. Which is what I have. And its been a bad breaking table from Day One back in early January of 2003.

So, which table typically/historically gives up balls, and is considered the better breaking table - Diamonds or Gold Crowns?

r/DCP

I think that's pure bs myself. Too many variables like cloth, pocket angles, humidity, etc.Don't think either table is better/worse in regards to breaking. Just curious as to why you ask? Covid bored or what?

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the balls used and the type of rack used have more to do with how well the balls come apart on a break.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
only one way to find out, grab a sledge and find the nearest pool hall during the next round of riots and go to town

let us know the results of humidity and which cloth color makes the biggest difference

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that's pure bs myself. Too many variables like cloth, pocket angles, humidity, etc.Don't think either table is better/worse in regards to breaking. Just curious as to why you ask? Covid bored or what?

I have been breaking racks of 9-Ball lately and not getting balls down or having any decent spreads. Its been like this, for the most part, since I got the GCIV in early January of 2003. Over the years I've had really good players tell me its a bad breaking table.

In the past I have toyed with the idea of trading or selling the GCIV and getting a Diamond.

r/DCP

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the balls used and the type of rack used have more to do with how well the balls come apart on a break.
Exactly. Too many variables at play. I've had good/bad breaking days on both brands. Diamond bar-boxes with the league-cut pockets can break easy i will say that.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Gold Crowns sound better. I actually get a little startled hearing that kerrrRAK!, even when it's me breaking.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can break twice in a row, on the same table, and have different results.

There ‘may’ be a difference, but as others state, what is ‘The’ variable that one can isolate?

Also, the word ‘better’ is subjective. I likely have a less than average breaking speed and power but concentrate on keeping the white centre table. I prefer to leave a cluster as I can then defeat my opponent on strategy and my safety game. The first 5 years I played, I improved in technical skills...the last 45 years more in ‘wisdom’. The more awkward thr balls on the table, the better I can tap into that last 45 years.

Last edited:

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll bet that if SVB broke a rack or two on your GC IV it would change your mind. It's the Indian not the table.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

r/DCP

What do "break better" and "break worse" mean?

What table characteristic(s) do you imagine make a difference?

pj
chgo

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll bet that if SVB broke a rack or two on your GC IV it would change your mind. It's the Indian not the table.

Could be.

But over the years i have had some outstanding players break racks on the table. The conclusion has usually - not always - been the same. That being its a bad breaking table.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Billy is probably correct, a faster table should yield more balls pocketed on the break, and there is no doubt in my mind that Artemis cushions are faster than Superspeeds. I have a set of rails with each installed, both sets setup by top of the line mechanics, and I definitely notice the difference to.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do u use racking template?
if not. get one. if u still dont get good breaks when u hit them well... then start thinking other variables. Also what kind balls do you have? Cheap balls won´t rack well.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've asked this question about 100 times in the past 15 years.

I can't recall all variables, but what was your answer when people asked if you use a magic rack, and if your balls are polished, and how old the balls are? And in 15 years, you never put a video of you breaking either.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Now wait a damn minute everyone, see what this man did?? HE MADE A FUNNY JOKE!! Well its true and a joke at the same time, nonetheless, it sure made me smile. He never cussed or tried to belittle the guy, just craftily handled him :)

TFT

I can't recall all variables, but what was your answer when people asked if you use a magic rack, and if your balls are polished, and how old the balls are? And in 15 years, you never put a video of you breaking either.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have never asked which is the better breaking table. Not once did i ask this question in the 17 years that i have been on AZB.

Like i said, let the insults come. And they almost always do. And usually by the same people.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never asked which is the better breaking table. Not once did i ask this question in the 17 years that i have been on AZB.

Like i said, let the insults come. And they almost always do. And usually by the same people.

Ok, you are right, you never asked this specific question. But you asked why your GC doesn't break well many, many, many times.

So what is the answer to:

-What brand balls do you have?
-How old are they?
-What is their condition?
-Do you have a ball polisher?
-What brand of rack do you use?
-What is its condition?
-Where does your CB go after breaking? (meaning are you good enough to squat it periodically, or does it fly all around the table)
-Edit to add: What is your break speed?

We know your cloth is new, and it is Simonis 860 in a special green.

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, you are right, you never asked this specific question. But you asked why your GC doesn't break well many, many, many times.

So what is the answer to:

-What brand balls do you have? Aramith Super Pros
-How old are they? 12-15 years
-What is their condition?Perfect
-Do you have a ball polisher?Hand polish
-What brand of rack do you use?Renfroe's Accu-Rack and standard wood triangle
-What is its condition? Perfect
-Where does your CB go after breaking? (meaning are you good enough to squat it periodically, or does it fly all around the table) Various places - like everybody else.
-Edit to add: What is your break speed? soft to around 20

We know your cloth is new, and it is Simonis 860 in a special green.
Cloth is two years old in Apple Green. Being redone in Powder Blue in the next week or so.

Let me also add I run my dehumidifier all the time. We have had 9 inches of rain, however, here in SW Indiana since Thursday morning.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To answer your original question, I haven't noticed any difference between a diamond and a GC when breaking. I've played on GC's for 25 years, almost exclusively, and Diamonds a few times per year.

What I've found to make the biggest difference is the condition of the balls, using a magic rack, and the newness of the cloth.

The diamond rails are noticeably faster than GC rails, so there will be more speed of the balls. This may lead to more balls pocketed. But then again, the Diamond pockets are tighter than the GC, so that may lead to less balls pocketed. Even when the mouth of the pocket is the same, the GC is still "bigger" because of its shorter shelf.

But all this is theory. Maybe the only way to actually measure it is to watch pro matches on each table. For the Diamond, any tournament over the past 10 years you can count the balls pocketed. For the GC, you have to go to the Japan Open channel on YouTube, and count the balls made on their GC5's and GC6's for the Japan championships. But even if you did all that, the racks are probably different.

So in summary, maybe Incardona was stating "this particular TV table is not breaking well". I doubt he was saying GC breaks better or breaks worse "on average" than the other. I certainly can't make that statement.

IMO:)