G Core or Meucci Black Dot

ky4some

Registered
Considering an LD shaft for my 2003 Russ Espiritu. It has a 5/16x14 piloted joint. Never been a huge fan of the Predator shafts. Any input on the McDermott G Core shaft or the Meucci Black Dot shaft would be appreciated. They seem to be to my liking.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Considering an LD shaft for my 2003 Russ Espiritu. It has a 5/16x14 piloted joint. Never been a huge fan of the Predator shafts. Any input on the McDermott G Core shaft or the Meucci Black Dot shaft would be appreciated. They seem to be to my liking.
MEUCCI THE PRO not black dot.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t believe either the Black Dot or the G-Core are low deflection. Maybe half way in between a traditional ivory ferrule shaft and a Predator.

ky4some

Registered
I don’t believe either the Black Dot or the G-Core are low deflection. Maybe half way in between a traditional ivory ferrule shaft and a Predator.

I'll have to double check by I thought both Mcdermott and Meucci advertise them as low deflection. Maybe they advertise them as "high performance" which may be a bit different.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely the G-Core shaft is low deflection. It has a 6" carbon rod in the front end of the shaft. Ask the man who invented it (Jerico Cues)...he also invented the Stinger b/j cue. He has since sold them to McDermott. I played with a G-Core prototype for years. I still have it!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Absolutely the G-Core shaft is low deflection. It has a 6" carbon rod in the front end of the shaft. Ask the man who invented it (Jerico Cues)...he also invented the Stinger b/j cue. He has since sold them to McDermott. I played with a G-Core prototype for years. I still have it!

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I played with the McDermot I-3 for a year in about 2010 time period. It was positioned as McDermott's highest offering, and lowest cue-ball squirt shaft, while the G-Core was their middle offering, and the "plain" shafts were their low offering. I only tired the G-Core one time when a friend had one, but to me, it was about half way in-between the cue balls squirt of the I-3 and a "plain" shaft. I don't know if the McDermott line has changed much since then, I haven't kept up on it.

I know you have tried them all, and have recently promoted the Revo shafts. How would you compare the squirt of the G-Core to a 314 and to a Revo?

To the OP, did you not like the Predator because of the way it hit/sound? Or the amount of squirt?

If you want the lowest squirt, IMO, you have to go Predator. No one else is at their level. They raise the bar continuously every few years.

I've been playing Predator shafts since 1998, and this is simply my opinion having tried most of the competitors, and always go back to Predator.

PS, I'm not knocking the G-Core! I've only heard great things about it. And McDermott makes a fine cue. I've had a few of them over the years. Great quality.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 3 different McDermott cues with G-core shafts, one shaft I don't like, it vibrates, second one is ok, nothing special, and one that I really like, no vibration, solid and predictable hit. All three are different, and the trouble is that the one I really like, is the one that is on my wife's cue, and I'm not allowed to use it. I do sneak in some shots with it when she is not home though. Also will pick it up and use it after she breaks, and forgets to switch back to her playing cue. Not sure if other manufactures are the same as to consistency, but with these 3 shafts, they all feel different. I did buy a Jacoby Ultra shaft for my Schon cue, and really like that shaft, very predictable and solid hit. I do like my Schon shaft also though, but I am thinking that the reason I like my Schon shaft is more about the diameter than how the shaft performs. The larger diameter of the Schon shaft, almost 13.1 vs 12.75 for the Jacoby, just feels better for me. I may call Jacoby to see if they will make me a Ultra shaft closer to the 13 mm size. If price were about the same, I would get a Jacoby Ultra, over the G-core, but if you get a good G-core, it's a very nice shaft. The Jacoby has the least deflection, but yet has a very solid hit. My Schon has a very solid hit, but the most deflection. I really like the sound of the hit on my Schon shaft.

Last edited:

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll have to double check by I thought both Mcdermott and Meucci advertise them as low deflection. Maybe they advertise them as "high performance" which may be a bit different.
I looked at the G-Core shaft, and I came to the conclusion that it is a "high" deflection shaft--not a "low" deflection shaft nor a "normal" deflection shaft. If anyone has a reasonable argument for why the G-Core shaft should be considered a "low" deflection shaft, I would like to hear it.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I looked at the G-Core shaft, and I came to the conclusion that it is a "high" deflection shaft--not a "low" deflection shaft nor a "normal" deflection shaft. If anyone has a reasonable argument for why the G-Core shaft should be considered a "low" deflection shaft, I would like to hear it.

So you are saying that the G-Core has more cue ball squirt than a standard maple shaft??? I have a couple of G-Cores and a Predator 312, I can find no appreciable differences in squirt between these 2 shafts. Maybe I dont use them correctly but I aim the same for each when using side spin and dont notice a difference when shooting the cue ball up and down the table with maximum side spin.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
I played with the McDermot I-3 for a year in about 2010 time period. It was positioned as McDermott's highest offering, and lowest cue-ball squirt shaft, while the G-Core was their middle offering, and the "plain" shafts were their low offering. I only tired the G-Core one time when a friend had one, but to me, it was about half way in-between the cue balls squirt of the I-3 and a "plain" shaft. I don't know if the McDermott line has changed much since then, I haven't kept up on it.

I know you have tried them all, and have recently promoted the Revo shafts. How would you compare the squirt of the G-Core to a 314 and to a Revo?

To the OP, did you not like the Predator because of the way it hit/sound? Or the amount of squirt?

If you want the lowest squirt, IMO, you have to go Predator. No one else is at their level. They raise the bar continuously every few years.

I've been playing Predator shafts since 1998, and this is simply my opinion having tried most of the competitors, and always go back to Predator.

PS, I'm not knocking the G-Core! I've only heard great things about it. And McDermott makes a fine cue. I've had a few of them over the years. Great quality.

I think the pro shaft from Meucci is a better choice for you OP, especially since you are considering a black dot shaft from Meucci, "The Pro" is better than both black dot and the g-core from McDermott.

And to me, since the poster mentioned that predator is the best low deflection shaft, they are indeed at the top of the league, but I've tried it, and I still think Meucci The Pro is at the level of any revo out there, it is an absolutely fantastic shaft, try it and test the deflection, I'm not claiming that it is lower than revo, but maybe it is, I don't know, but playibility wise I think its better than the predator shafts, for me at least.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So you are saying that the G-Core has more cue ball squirt than a standard maple shaft???
Theoretically, yes. A G-Core shaft should be heavier than a maple shaft (carbon is heavier than maple), and a G-Core shaft should be stiffer than a maple shaft (carbon is stiffer than maple), and according to Dr. Dave both of those traits will increase cue ball squirt.

Last edited:

Call_me_Tom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I disagree, I own both a Traditional McDermott shaft and a G-Core shaft and can hit them side by side.

The G-Core is an “in between” LD shaft if I had to coin a term, it is not a high deflection shaft. It hits in between a full LD shaft and a traditional shaft.

High does a high deflection shaft work anyway, with springs or hydraulics? Higher deflection than a traditional shaft would have to catapult the ball away from the shaft.

You can sight straight down the shaft while hitting a ball and can see it. That’s in addition to aim adjustments letting you know that it’s working.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get a predator shaft. Any of them will be a better option if you want low deflection.

My question for the OP, is what does he not like about the predators… That might help answer the question.

FWIW, I have a predator 314 for my favorite Meucci...

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sold my predator with a 314 and a revo 12.9.shaft a few momths ago and started playing exclusivly with my meucci carbon pro. I had been flip flopping between playing with those 2 shafts for about 4-5 momths before settling on the carbo pro..

After reading this thread today i decided to take my mcdermott with a g core shaft out of fhe closet where it had been sitting for at least 6 years.. I took it to league tonight and played as well.with it as i do my carbon pro. Surprisingly i found i could make draw shots easier with the g core than the carbon pro.

The mcdermott was a christmas gift from a woman i was living with at the time so i used it a few times then stuck it in the closet because i was playing with a custom at the time. As well as i played tonight i just might be sticking that carbon pro in the closet for a while.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Put some lead tape around the ferrule of a maple shaft; then stroke the cue ball and observe how a high deflection shaft "works".
If he needs to put lead tape on it to see a difference then it's not much different anyway.
If the maple shaft is what you call high deflection then why the lead tape?