Trends in type of joint

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Morning.I am back to pool after a 14 year hiatus.I really enjoy trying and collecting cues as well as playing and have a cue construction question. Looking at various cues for sale there seem to be far more flat faced, big pin joints being made than the traditional 5/16-14 Steel joints.Is it due to trends that occur in pool like everything else or does playability(subjective) account for the change? I appreciate any input.Thanks,Mike S.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Totally subjective, I like the 3/8 pin. But then I'm not good enough to know better.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mike! Long time...:grin: IMO there's no difference, and it is subjective to the player.

Scott Lee
2019 PBIA Instructor of the Year
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically, if the tension created by the threads can hold the butt to the shaft with at least the strength of a continuous (no-joint) single piece of wood, then the joint is going to be fine.

All joints in common use today create such tension.

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Mike! Long time...:grin: IMO there's no difference, and it is subjective to the player.

Scott Lee

Hi Scott,I am back and serious about improving my game(in my old age).Maybe when things return to normal,I could pay for and meet you somewhere for a lesson? Stay safe out there,Mike S

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope so too Mike! :grin:

Scott Lee

Hi Scott,I am back and serious about improving my game(in my old age).Maybe when things return to normal,I could pay for and meet you somewhere for a lesson? Stay safe out there,Mike S

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don’t be concerned about the type of cue joint. When you like a cue, it doesn’t matter what it uses as the joint.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad I could bring a smile to your lips Dean and everyone chuckling at my post.

When someone posts they have had over a decade’s hiatus from playing and
are asking for information about whether pin joints are a trend or have different
playability, well, that’s a futile discussion to ever attempt with the temperament
of the Az community. Where do you begin with that one? Big pins have been
around a long time and aren’t a new trend. There’ll be so much debate and
conflicting opinions that the best way the OP can find out is by just trying cues.

whiteoak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad I could bring a smile to your lips Dean and everyone chuckling at my post.

When someone posts they have had over a decade’s hiatus from playing and
are asking for information about whether pin joints are a trend or have different
playability, well, that’s a futile discussion to ever attempt with the temperament
of the Az community. Where do you begin with that one? Big pins have been
around a long time and aren’t a new trend. There’ll be so much debate and
conflicting opinions that the best way the OP can find out is by just trying cues.

Matt,I wasn’t implying that big pins were a new trend,only that I seemed to see them more(before everything shut down and in my limited circle) than I used to. I remembered seeing more 5/16-15 piloted steel before. Mike S

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think piloted steel joints are probably like manual transmission cars were 15-20 years ago. On the way out but still around. Nowadays manual gearboxes are on life-support. In 15-20 years, I don't think we'll see many piloted steel joints being produced. It seems mostly older builders are the ones making them currently.

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
The only piloted joint I thought was even close to half way decent was a piloted radial pin, a Lambros cue I think. In my opinion, big pin cues are becoming more predominant. Look at how many up and comers and even established makers are using the modified 3/8x10 now!
Again, my opinion, but a thick walled steel piloted 5/16x14 joint is like having a 4 cylinder in a sports car. Then you try a flat face big pin cue, and it's like driving that same car but with a turbo! Heh Heh!

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I first started playing I was the 5/16 x 14 fanboy. As I got better I came to appreciate the feel of 3/8 x 10 and others like the wavy and flat faced joints. A little difference in playability, but you can get used to anything.

As far as trends in big pin joints go, you can have more types of joints, wood wood, wood elforyn, wood ivory, big pins come in a few flavors, and maybe I am just rambling but maybe without that big steel joint a cue maker could find it easier to tailor the balance using just wood and no steel weight bolts, and less work putting inserts in shafts, and more feel of hit..................yada yada yada.......................

Maybe.

Bishop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is not to criticize anyone’s methods or beliefs but as a hobbyist builder and my own personal opinion I like 3/8-10 for two reasons.

For me, When making a cue, inserts are a pain to install, it’s extra work I don’t feel doing. Pin to wood has always felt a little more natural to me.

Second, I feel like the wider pitch leaves less chance of chip out when I tap the shaft. I see less stripping and the wider pitch feels like it’s grabbing the shaft a bit more assertively.

But any serious cue builder can make any of it work. I’ve played with a ton different joints from various cue makers and all have been great.

As a hobbyists builder I try to find practical solutions that keep me within my skill set.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Flat faced joints are easier to make then piloted ones.
And they do a fine job of holding the shaft to the butt.
I have always thought that any style joint that firmly holds the shaft to the butt is fine.