Why do Filipino spectators touch and crowd the table during matches?

LeftyIke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can tell that they are gambling, but they seem to use powder to mark spots near object balls, brush the table between shots, and crowd the table. Is this just their culture? I don’t see this happen anywhere else. I guess it would make it hard to distract you anywhere else. They also seem to concede the game,with a ball or two left, more than almost any other countries that I’ve noticed.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its just their culture. They used to keep track of wagers on the tables with a stick of chalk too. :grin:

41656038650_bc5681d8ce_m.jpg

41656027370_dbc253966a_b.jpg

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The touching the table is usually one of two things.

First, many times they are picking small flying insects off the table - the tables are often outside and it is night time - bugs attracted to the light.

Second, they play CB fouls only but mark balls that might be disturbed (like if you are bridging over a ball) so the balls are replaced if moved.

The crowding thing is cultural and likely a product of lots of people wanting to watch in a small space. I assume the players get used to it at an early age. And I do think all that commotion is good for their concentration.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My grandmother was born in Manila, so pool smarts be in my blood.

Ignore anyone who says otherwise: it is coz there are no paper towels in the bathroom.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unlike in America a lot of people show up to gamble on a game of pool and there is limited space available. In the unlikely event 30 people showed up to gamble on a match in a pool hall in the United States they would crowd around the table.

They mark the table with chalk if there is a chance of a ball being disturbed to prevent argument over where to replace the ball - because people are gambling on the match.

I haven't seen players conceding balls in these "street" matches. It is possible you watched a match in which a player was getting a spot.

GideonF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I haven't seen players conceding balls in these "street" matches. It is possible you watched a match in which a player was getting a spot.

Really? I’ve seen many money matches between top Pinoys on YouTube where both players regularly concede the 10b (they get perfect on the 10 anyway). I always thought it just respect - is more going on?

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the unlikely event 30 people showed up to gamble on a match in a pool hall in the United States they would crowd around the table.

First No they wouldn't and second-if they tried to, the players wouldn't allow it.

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? I’ve seen many money matches between top Pinoys on YouTube where both players regularly concede the 10b (they get perfect on the 10 anyway). I always thought it just respect - is more going on?

The op is talking about street matches with dozens of people betting on the set and on each game. You are conceding a lot of other people's money if you start conceding balls. I have seen none other than Efren get a spot from a relatively unknown player but that's not the same as just conceding a game.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First No they wouldn't and second-if they tried to the players wouldn't allow it.

https://youtu.be/bkOcgV8qrPM?t=2570

Might explain why American pool players can't make a living playing pool and why they struggle vs the Filipinos. Bergman says he won't gamble against Shane Van Boening or any of the Filipinos. You would kick all those people away from the game? That's how the players make money.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Might explain why American pool players can't make a living playing pool and why they struggle vs the Filipinos. Bergman says he won't gamble against Shane Van Boening or any of the Filipinos. You would kick all those people away from the game? That's how the players make money.

Yes i would because i care about my game first and i cant win playing under those circumstances.- 98% of Americans as well.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member

Absolutely amazing...and yeah, explains a LOT.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have gone to watch some of the big boys battle at rooms near me over the years and it was standing room only every time.

Like i haven't and there has been plenty of standing room crowds but they don't stand between the next table and yours EVER! Often times the room owner will not even allow PLAY at the the next table.It is nothing like what happens in the PI with sometimes several SPECTATORS touching the table between shots-ever see that here?

If you'd allow that during your match, be my guest.(and im sure you will make plenty of money as someone said earlier)

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
They do that and allow that for the same basic reason that in spite of being dirt poor they are more content with their lives than us Westerners.

Because it's fun and people are involved. People have more value to them than they do to us.

JC

DWreckTheBoss

Registered
The touching the table is usually one of two things.

First, many times they are picking small flying insects off the table - the tables are often outside and it is night time - bugs attracted to the light.

Second, they play CB fouls only but mark balls that might be disturbed (like if you are bridging over a ball) so the balls are replaced if moved.

The crowding thing is cultural and likely a product of lots of people wanting to watch in a small space. I assume the players get used to it at an early age. And I do think all that commotion is good for their concentration.

This is why they almost never get sharked by anything. They grew up playing in conditions that most people could never fathom. Their concentration is amazing. Here in the USA, Earl would flip out if you stood up in his line of sight across the room while he was trying to shoot. I remember the first time I watched the Tiger stream or the Star stream on ustream. I was amazed that they shot so well with all that craziness going on.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Whatever their local culture is or whatever it "helps" the player to concentrate.

I find it highly impolite, irritating and can't even stand watching this.

Of course, I'm from the other end of the world, where Germans are seen to be better than robots, so....
Hugh, I have spoken.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is why they almost never get sharked by anything. They grew up playing in conditions that most people could never fathom. Their concentration is amazing. Here in the USA, Earl would flip out if you stood up in his line of sight across the room while he was trying to shoot. I remember the first time I watched the Tiger stream or the Star stream on ustream. I was amazed that they shot so well with all that craziness going on.

Bingo! All the commotion that goes on during a big money match in the PI makes these guys immune to sharking. I've seen guys down on the ball and people are actually walking around the table while he's shooting. There is also constant chatter from the crowd, never total silence like you're accustomed to here.

I've been in with Dennis when he was playing for some serious bucks and his opponent was talking to him while he was shooting. I was so pissed! When I asked Dennis what he wants me to do, he just said, "Don't worry Jay, he doesn't bother me." Dennis just kept on making balls and winning games (at 600 a pop) and finally the guy shut up. :rolleyes:

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They do that and allow that for the same basic reason that in spite of being dirt poor they are more content with their lives than us Westerners.

Because it's fun and people are involved. People have more value to them than they do to us.

JC

lmfao at the internet philosophy

their biggest export is human labour, tons of flips hate their lives and will kill to leave, and...you can hire hitters for like $500

here in Toronto I've known at least 100+ flip immigrants that pwill readiliy admit to previously falling into the above categories