Scott Frost vs Ronnie Allen in his prime

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
Just curious who you think would have the edge... race to 8 for a HUGE stack

The only opinion that really matters might be someone who has played them both, not many of those guys around. Not a good deal of video around of Ronnie to see him in his prime, the match with him and Danny D was on what looked like buckets and the play was not at the top level we see now. 10 years ago Frost gave Ronnie something like 10-5 and shot him full of holes. Certainly a dream match and I am sure the firepower and shots would be amazing but we will never know who was best in their primes.

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I remember on one of the TAR podcasts Jay Helfert said he doesn't think the newer one pocket players would have had any chance against the old dogs in their prime. I don't know in specific to whom he was referring though.

GoldenFlash

Banned
I watched Ronnie Allen and bet on him all the way from the days at Welker Cochran's in S.F. to that brutal pit in Johnston City and then years after.
I think this Scott Frost guy would've beat Ronnie like a drum if they could've matched up back then.
I think Frost would've crucified Deliberto as well.
(assuming there wasn't any business going on)
I just never understood how Frost ended up being headquartered in some 2-bit desert town like Tempe Arizona????
Arizona? Hell, all they got out there is dirt, rattlesnakes, miserable weather, and broken air conditioners

Rico

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RONNIE Allen

Wow i just cant think of anybody that ran more 8 n9 outs than Ronnie.When Scott left Des Moines he was not the best there.In his prime Scotts teacher was closer to Ronnie.#2 Efren,#1 Ronnie.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
IMO todays young top players would shoot the nuts off all the old players other than Ronnie and Efern. Also IMO todays top players from around the world would eat all of the top players alive from the 1940's to the 1980's. Johnnyt

scttybee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
your opinions mean less every time you speak...alex beat frost for cash..alex is now a snooker player

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
your opinions mean less every time you speak...alex beat frost for cash..alex is now a snooker player

Alex beat Scott one time gambling but Scott beat him before that a few times, Scott had not been playing and took Alex for granted. Scott has beaten Efren the last 6 plays gambling. It is mind blowing that someone forms an opinion from just one match. Scott put it out there to play anyone at Derby for cash even one pocket and no one has stepped up yet, not even Alex.

If people think Alex is better then put him in the box there or even Shane for that matter. I personally think that Alex or Shane are the only ones who can play him an ahead set for serious coin, it will be great to see if it happens. My money will be on Scott but I know he is not even close to stealing.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Frost would have the edge. Today's players play on equipment that is far more difficult than the equipment of the past.

The only people that are saying the old timers would whoop today's players, are the same old farts that played back then. Anytime I hear that Ronnie Allen and Efren Reyes played better in their prime, I just laugh. I think Efren plays better now than he did before; He just has tougher competition now.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scott Frost would have the edge. Today's players play on equipment that is far more difficult than the equipment of the past.

The only people that are saying the old timers would whoop today's players, are the same old farts that played back then. Anytime I hear that Ronnie Allen and Efren Reyes played better in their prime, I just laugh. I think Efren plays better now than he did before; He just has tougher competition now.

How is today's equipment more difficult? I agree on your point about Efren but believe it is because the equipment is better than years ago.

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How is today's equipment more difficult? I agree on your point about Efren but believe it is because the equipment is better than years ago.

Playing on a tight 9ft Diamond with Simonis 760 is a lot more difficult than some of the old 8ft/9ft Brunswicks with buckets and slower cloth.

You can argue that it took a stroke to play on the slow cloth, but it also takes a stroke and speed control to play on the fast cloth.

Here's a good example... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajE9FvI0xuA
Might as well be playing on a Valley.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie Monroe "Fast Eddie" Allen was labeled as a pool "Super Star" in the prime of his pool-shooting career by his peers during pool's golden era. He was an American professional pool player.

For several decades from the 1960s to 1980s, Allen was the most dominant one pocket player in the world. He was inducted into the One Pocket Hall of Fame in 2004 for his contributions to the pocket billiard game of one pocket.

Allen's gift of gab often lured crowds to congregate around his table. He was a well-known gambler who enjoyed entertaining the crowds. Some believe that Walter Tevis, who wrote the book The Hustler that later became an Academy Award-winning film, based the character of "Fast Eddie" on Ronnie Allen after seeing him compete.

Minnesota Fats said of Ronnie Allen, "Anybody who plays him for money ain't got no chance at all."

Amarillo Slim in his book recalls Ronnie's banter in the pool room: "I'm called 'Fast Eddie' 'cause I shoot fast, talk fast, and bet fast. I'm the best one pocket player in this country, bar none. I'm so good I can't even get a game unless I give it away first."

Billiards Congress of America Hall of Famer Eddie Kelly said, "Ronnie Allen was the best one pocket player I ever played."

At a well-known annual pool event held in Johnston City, Illinois, it was in 1972 that Ronnie Allen grabbed the microphone before a standing-room-only crowd and offered to play any living human being a game of one pocket, spotting them a handicap of 10 to 8. And nobody raised their hand. This was known as Ronnie's standard offer to anyone who wanted to gamble with him. Sadly, he passed away on February 6, 2013.

Some of his professional accomplishments:

1962 - Cochran's One-Pocket Championship
1966 - All-Around Championship, Stardust Hotel, Las Vegas
1970 - Johnston City One-Pocket
1984 - Red's Open One-Pocket

Pretty impressive I think...if I were a betting man my nod would go to Ronnie in his prime.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not exactly true...Fats beat Ronnie for $25K at Johnston City. There were some strange restrictions to the game...but Fats won the cash.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

At a well-known annual pool event held in Johnston City, Illinois, it was in 1972 that Ronnie Allen grabbed the microphone before a standing-room-only crowd and offered to play any living human being a game of one pocket, spotting them a handicap of 10 to 8. And nobody raised their hand. This was known as Ronnie's standard offer to anyone who wanted to gamble with him. Sadly, he passed away on February 6, 2013.