Repair on a Schuler shaft

Stan9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Schuler shaft's insert has come loose from the shaft, probably due to overtightening or a bit of dirt in the joint pin. I would have to retap the existing thread to install the insert back. But the issue is none of my taps fit the size. I am located overseas so shipping the cue back to US is too pricey. Would anyone know what's the thread for the insert? Thanks!

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My Schuler shaft's insert has come loose from the shaft, probably due to overtightening or a bit of dirt in the joint pin. I would have to retap the existing thread to install the insert back. But the issue is none of my taps fit the size. I am located overseas so shipping the cue back to US is too pricey. Would anyone know what's the thread for the insert? Thanks!

I have never seen one come loose so I do not know the thread, but the thread on the butt is 5/16-14. If there is enough pin sticking out of the butt to allow you to slide the outside insert threads into the butt screw to see if they match. IF they do then the insert is a 14 thread. If the insert threads are finer then they are most likely 20 threads if it is a 7/16 diameter thread. Take your calipers and measure the outside diameter of the threads. Then put the calipers on 1/2 inch and count the number of threads you can in the 1/2 inch. Multiply X 2 and that is your threads per inch. So if it is 7/16" diameter and 20 threads per inch you need a 7/16-20 tap. If it is 1/2" diameter then you need a 1/2-20 tap.

Last edited:

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
insert

I machined an insert for that joint a few years ago, if I recall correctly it was 1/2 20 thread.

Mario