Stupid pool question of the day

Pangit

Banned
Do expensive cues and fancy shafts, gloves, and all that other stuff make you play better at the end of the day?

In retrospect, I should have tried to steal a good house cue somewhere, invest my money in good tips, talcum powder...and just roll with it.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do expensive cues and fancy shafts, gloves, and all that other stuff make you play better at the end of the day?

In retrospect, I should have tried to steal a good house cue somewhere, invest my money in good tips, talcum powder...and just roll with it.

Expensive cues:
You may be more confident with a pretty sword (that cuts like any other), you may like the convenience of quick release, you may like being able to add a butt extension, you may like being able to adjust the weight bolts...but no, it won’t help your aim or patterns.

Fancy shafts:
I don’t believe a shaft will impart action on the cueball to any meaningful degree that your arm wasn’t already capable of delivering. CF might be nice for consistency, ding protection, and warp proofing. Low deflection takes getting used to but could improve your ball pocketing percentages on specific sidespin shots by a marginal increase (my opinion).

Gloves:
If you’re ever in a humid environment and you hands and cue feel sticky, the glove will improve your stroke by helping you get out of your head and not thinking about the awkward way the cue is rubbing across your finger fat.

Practice:
Of course this is 100,000x more important than anything else. I assume that’s your point of the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course not. Spend some time checking out all the house cues you can. When you find the one you like, I heard you mention stealing it. Then have a tip put on, (don't pay the guy), then steal some chalk and a scuffer and you be all set, you might have to steal a case also!

Last edited:

Pangit

Banned
Expensive cues:
You may be more confident with a pretty sword (that cuts like any other), you may like the convenience of quick release, you may like being able to add a butt extension, you may like being able to adjust the weight bolts...but no, it won’t help your aim or patterns.

Fancy shafts:
I don’t believe a shaft will impart action on the cueball to any meaningful degree that your arm wasn’t already capable of delivering. CF might be nice for consistency, ding protection, and warp proofing. Low deflection takes getting used to but could improve your ball pocketing percentages on specific sidespin shots by a marginal increase (my opinion).

Gloves:
If you’re ever in a humid environment and you hands and cue feel sticky, the glove will improve your stroke by helping you get out of your head and not thinking about the awkward way the cue is rubbing across your finger fat.

Practice:

Of course this is 100,000x more important than anything else. I assume that’s your point of the question.

th

Let's be honest...this is all "conjecture" until Dr Dave weighs in on this matter.

giphy.gif

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member

no shaft or cue makes the balls for you

local here just grabs any house cue crushes the rack and runs out 80% of the time

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pooey on the indian,it's the arrow
pay no heed to such nonsense
How else could you expect top improve?
Pactice?ugh,lessons? advice?Never workHaven't you always heard"you get what you pay for"

PROOF<EVIDENCE READ ON BROTHER READ ON

i once had a high dollar game and my trusty cue let me down

there were unkind kibitsers who said i dogged my brains out

i sold that cue that played so bad under pressure adjusted the game and won with my new cue
clear evidence that an expensive cues helps under pressure

then there was the time a fella took one of my beautiful expensive cues to the
up beat pool room.,he pulled this $5000 cue out of a fully tooled Rusty Melton case

This one particularly attractive young lady was so enamored with the cue/case combo that she struck up a conversation with the fella who had the beautiful cue

HOLY MATRIMONY and then

one thing led to another and they are now expecting their third male child. i have already been told to get Rusty to tool special cases and i have a beautiful Larry vigus cue ordered for Junior

never believe what you hear about expensive cues,how else would Barry have put Jimmy,Kristenand Little barry through school?

Give yourself a chance to succeed by buying an expensive cue today.!!!

Don't be stingy,don't be tight
buy expensive
and shoot outof sight

by anonymous

Last edited:

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over $250, it's in your head. All play the same, maybe differently but you quickly adjust.. In my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use the same house cue every Monday and Tuesday night. I notched it with my key to find it quicker.

People ask why I don't buy a stick for which my reply is always..."Why"?

I'm in the money most every time I play a tournament and win a good portion of the time.

Last Tuesday, one of the locals approached me and asked to see my cue. After given it to him, he made a motion like he was going to crack it over his knee except....he actually did and cracked it. His face turned red and said he was just joking and didn't really mean to do it. He offered to let me use his cue that night. Didn't need to.

Now that it is partially cracked, it just ensures that no one will want to use it before I get there.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
after paying more than $100 or so for a cue, it's all in your head. They all play the same, in my humble opinion.

That couldnt be anymore wrong... hell even multiple cues at 100 dollars can play different.

Make the price range 100 to 500 and the amount of differences in playability, quality, and what you may prefer for your own game would be insane.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tend to find people’s opinions trend with their scale of disposable income. People at the extreme end of the scales tend to make the more exaggerated claims.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pooey on the indian,it's the arrow
pay no heed to such nonsense

Couldn't agree more, if you have two samurai who are matched equally in skill, I personally would assume the quality of the sword come into the equation.

Same with two Indians in an archery competition, who wins if equally matched, probably not the guy with the crooked arrows that don't fly straight.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
agree with Icon of Sin

I am in partial agreement with you previous statement. As opposed to playing with a house cue, once you drop at least 100 on a cue you can start figuring out what works for you and while you might find everything you need in the first 100 dollar cue you pick, you could still find the specifics you like in a cue between 100 and 500 dollars.

Now considering the CF shaft rage these days and them starting at 400, if that is your thing you can get away with a shaft and cue in that area for around 600.

You can have a pretty damn great playing cue between 100-600 bucks really...

BUT...

You might want to get even more specific. Let's say you like the hit of ebony forearm with a piloted ivory 5/16 14 joint with an embossed leather wrap as opposed to wood or linen...

You can get to the 1k+ area pretty damn easy without all the fancy inlays and still be purchasing for playability tailored toward your own preferences.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

for me it helps me to play better early in the day.

I'm getting old so my game is usually falling apart at the end of the day... :D :eek:

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Lets' put it this way -
If you think they make you play better, then they do

I think in the end it's ultimately what you're comfortable with. High price and quality are not
always necessarily synonymous