Break Cue

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Schmelke Sneaky Pete that weighs 19 ounces without any weight bolts. I would like to convert it to a break cue weighing 18.5 ounces. Is it possible to drill out the weight bolt hole in the butt 1/2 ounce without compromising the cue? Any answers will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure you're going to knock off .5 oz it will be slightly lighter depending on the wood and size of drill.

Mario

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Typical cue butt woods have a specific gravity close to unity (1 cu ft of wood weighs almost the same or sometimes slightly more than a cubic ft of water).

But lets go with about 90% of that and round down, calling it 54lbs/cu ft.

Check my math, but that means it takes 2 cu inches of wood = 1 oz, or 1 cu inch per 1/2 oz. Hint: that is pretty close to a 1/2" round hole 5" deep. It gets bad really fast if the hole is only 3/8", or if it is only 5/16" drill for a 3/8"-16 weight bolt. Maple is lighter than typical butt woods, so if the butt is cored, the hole will have to be even deeper to lose that mere 1/2 oz.

Taking a steel 3/8 - 10 joint pin out and replacing it with a G10 3/8-10 will remove about a full ounce. But it will change the balance, you may or may not like that bias Good for LD, maybe less good for break cue.. You can saw some off a steel pin, but it may compromise the joint and threads in the wood parts if you need to take more than 1/8 or 3/16" of each end. If the pin is smaller diameter, the gains are less and the risk goes up. If it has a steel joint collar, change it for aluminum. etc. I am a hobbyist cue maker, only use 3/8-10 joints (& full splice) and am not familiar with Schmelke.

refinishing the butt including a heavy sanding before the new, can sometimes lose a 1/4 or 1/2 oz if you keep the new finish thin.

It's fairly (surprisingly) difficult to remove 1/2 oz in one easy location from a good cue without changing it. (unless of course it already has a weight bolt to be removed)

smt

Last edited:

Jonbouy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Itg had a weight bolt but it was removed by me. Looks like more of a problem than I thought so i think I'll just leave it alone. Thanks for all the answers.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
What type of joint pin does it have? If it's a larger style, like 3/8 stainless or brass, you can change it to either G10, or titanium, or aluminum. That would drop it as much as 1 oz. If it's 5/16, you could do the same, may drop about .4 oz....depending on what was there and what you use to replace it.
Dave