Mark Wilson Pool Clinc on YouTube

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Really interesting stuff about the time to stroke. Less than .5 sec from the beginning of pull-back to cue ball contact for amateurs, but 1.5 sec for pros.

But I can’t help but wonder why. What is it about the slower backswing and/or pause that improves accuracy?

For me it is a pause at the back of the stroke to come down to the pin point focus on the target.(Which for me is the cue ball.) When it is working the pause is a by product of the final focus. Just throwing in a prolonged pause doesn’t help without the zooming in of the concentration and focus.

So much of what he teaches rings with my experience and goals. Watching this gave me the same feeling as finding a nugget when prospecting for gold. Will be following up!

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For me it is a pause at the back of the stroke to come down to the pin point focus on the target.(Which for me is the cue ball.) When it is working the pause is a by product of the final focus. Just throwing in a prolonged pause doesn’t help without the zooming in of the concentration and focus.

So much of what he teaches rings with my experience and goals. Watching this gave me the same feeling as finding a nugget when prospecting for gold. Will be following up!

I think it can be important to use that pause alongside a consistent eye pattern. It'll be different for everyone. For me, I am looking at the cueball and my cue as I begin my final backswing. When I get to the top of my backswing, my eyes shift to the object ball, pause and swing.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never believed in aiming systems fully lot of it is timing of the stroke and if in sink, it creates good feel for the stroke. There for any cue can become a great player for the guy has this talent in place! Aiming becomes second nature.

Gatto138

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“I teach people in the hall of fame, and I teach amateurs; but not my wife because she won’t listen to me” LMFAO! So true.

I will say I don’t care how good your stroke is, if you’re not aiming properly it can’t all come together. If your aiming technique is decent and well understood and then you implemented the instructions from Mr.Wilson, then you should have good results. At least improve a little bit. I just think aiming is just as important as the delivery of the cue.

boyersj

Indiana VNEA State Champ
Silver Member
Really interesting stuff about the time to stroke. Less than .5 sec from the beginning of pull-back to cue ball contact for amateurs, but 1.5 sec for pros.

But I can’t help but wonder why. What is it about the slower backswing and/or pause that improves accuracy?

One of the best analogies I’ve ever given to make the importance of a pause in the back swing important is comparing the stroke to an automobile transmission.

When changing directions, we stop a vehicle to shift from reverse to forward (and visa versa). If we do not allow the vehicle to come to a complete stop, the vehicle will skid sideways a bit before moving in the new direction.

A fast swing is doing the same thing as the vehicle so, the pause needs to be just long enough to allow all motion to stop before changing directions; otherwise all the aiming in the world will not compensate for the sideway skid of the elbow.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
“I teach people in the hall of fame, and I teach amateurs; but not my wife because she won’t listen to me” LMFAO! So true.

I will say I don’t care how good your stroke is, if you’re not aiming properly it can’t all come together. If your aiming technique is decent and well understood and then you implemented the instructions from Mr.Wilson, then you should have good results. At least improve a little bit. I just think aiming is just as important as the delivery of the cue.

Aiming is easy though. Much, much easier than developing a solid stroke.

Jimbojim

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really liked these videos. Some great information there, I'm sure I can benefit from it as well!.

Thanks for the share.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member

This was the MOST important thing I learned watching this. I've been playing for over 30 years and NEVER noticed the distinction. Then I went watching videos of pros and amateurs playing on YouTube, and sonofa***** he's absolutely correct. I knew really good players had slower backswings, but not that dramatic. This is pretty handy at gauging competition, too.

I just did a session here at home and within less than an hour the difference in my mechanics, delivery and consistency just shot through the roof. It was like shooting in the dark for days and suddenly remembering to turn on the table light. The only thing that's suffered for the moment is my CB control when I do this is all over the place, but I'll fix that in short order. Thanks for posting this, OP!! :)

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
terrific vids
mark is boss
so much gold to mine
I couldn't help but think of mika
suppose the exception that helps the rule stand- ?
the lab has got a lot going on at the moment..whew

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was the MOST important thing I learned watching this. I've been playing for over 30 years and NEVER noticed the distinction. Then I went watching videos of pros and amateurs playing on YouTube, and sonofa***** he's absolutely correct. I knew really good players had slower backswings, but not that dramatic. This is pretty handy at gauging competition, too.

I think the most noticeable exception to this is Orcollo.

He has a quick backswing, but it's controlled.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the most noticeable exception to this is Orcollo.

He has a quick backswing, but it's controlled.

It is the stroke as a whole. Some guys are faster back with a longer pause. Some guys slow back with less of a pause. Some guys fairly fast on both but start out slow going forward.

Obviously there are exceptions but pros do control the cue much better than amateurs. I thought tying it to pressure was interesting. I suck under pressure and have a very fast stroke.

bennettspring

Registered
I have read the book............It is the best, no bs, just important info. Every sentence has important information.

He is the real deal. His life is pool. He is the director of the Lindenwood College billiard program in St. Charles, Missouri. {Yes you can get a scholorship in billiards}. FYI Mark made the final winning shot of the first Mosconni Cup, also involved in the $100,000 Color of Money match between Efren and Earl, Probably the best 9 ball on youtube. Most of all, he is a good friend.
PS He was the Mosconni Cup coach and has helped many pros. The book Play Great Pool is also the finest quality book on pool I have seen.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
Does anyone know how Mark positioned the shot line tape?

The line on the right is the target line, that's why he suggested line up against a wall I believe. The other I would assume to be parallel, you can kind of see how far it is from the line on right.

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I went and watched this video of Mark Wilson playing in the Mosconi Cup in 1995, and dammit, there he was, practicing what he is now preaching. No, not fluid looking, but no loose shots to be found.

https://youtu.be/QRNfeTa4l1E

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
For me it is a pause at the back of the stroke to come down to the pin point focus on the target.(Which for me is the cue ball.) When it is working the pause is a by product of the final focus....,snip

I would like to add the amendment that the last of the pause is to give the subconscious computer time to do the final velocity calculation.