So I'm In Action And This Happens - WWYD?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Amazing. Do you agree the below is an editorial miss? Or is it a not so subtle opinion the effort is a waste of time?

from the millions of euros and the meticulous work, there’s personal drama involved with the opening of the Stasi archives, too...Is it worth it?
Perhaps numbers can answer that question. Since 1991, the BStU has received 6.91 requests to view the archives. Every month there are approximately 6,000 people who see their Stasi file for the first time.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Amazing. Do you agree the below is an editorial miss? Or is it a not so subtle opinion the effort is a waste of time?

from the millions of euros and the meticulous work, there’s personal drama involved with the opening of the Stasi archives, too...Is it worth it?
Perhaps numbers can answer that question. Since 1991, the BStU has received 6.91 requests to view the archives. Every month there are approximately 6,000 people who see their Stasi file for the first time.

I think it must be a typo. Look at the every month number. I suspect it is 7 million total requests or so.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
It's Sunday Mr. Chicken...

Okay guys; yes it is Sunday and I just rolled in the door beat from a long weekend.

Please bear with me that if I don't get this posted tonight, I promise it'll be on tmrw morning.

thanks,
brian kc

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
two fifties
Well, now that you only have the pieces you can't be sure. Maybe the perp is a math whiz.

The Banach–Tarski paradox is a theorem in set-theoretic geometry, which states the following: Given a solid ball in 3‑dimensional space, there exists a decomposition of the ball into a finite number of disjoint subsets, which can then be put back together in a different way to yield two identical copies of the original ball. Indeed, the reassembly process involves only moving the pieces around and rotating them without changing their shape. However, the pieces themselves are not "solids" in the usual sense, but infinite scatterings of points. The reconstruction can work with as few as five pieces.[1]

The shape doesn't have to be a ball and could be a fifty. Those two objects are the same to a set theory guy. I stopped being a math major because of set theory.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well, now that you only have the pieces you can't be sure. Maybe the perp is a math whiz.

The Banach–Tarski paradox is a theorem in set-theoretic geometry, which states the following: Given a solid ball in 3‑dimensional space, there exists a decomposition of the ball into a finite number of disjoint subsets, which can then be put back together in a different way to yield two identical copies of the original ball. Indeed, the reassembly process involves only moving the pieces around and rotating them without changing their shape. However, the pieces themselves are not "solids" in the usual sense, but infinite scatterings of points. The reconstruction can work with as few as five pieces.[1]

The shape doesn't have to be a ball and could be a fifty. Those two objects are the same to a set theory guy. I stopped being a math major because of set theory.

In college, i had an algebra teacher so bad, he couldn't get me to understand what a set or sub set was. i was so baffled i changed .majors to avoid this impossible subject. However then i changed colleges where i had to take Algebra anyway even in my new major..

I had an excellent teacher this time and was soon wondering how the hell i couldnt understand something so simple previously. Teachers can make such a difference. Still i only generally have an idea of what you are talking about.However it has been the better part of a century since i began college algebra.

Last edited:

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Thanks for all of your thoughtful responses.

Here's how things went and some back story.

I've known my opponent for a number of years and only ever started gambling with him maybe a year and a half ago. How we started was I challenged him to play my favorite carnival game - it's a 5 rail kick shot into an object ball that has a penny on top; after going 5 rails the cue ball must contact the ob *without* knocking the penny off. Long story a little shorter, I won close to a g-note over 2 sessions on that one, the first session concluded with me giving him back a $50 and telling him to go pick on the chickens across the street at Chic-Fil-A and not to mess with this chicken any more. :grin-square: There had been a fair amount of trash talking back & forth during the match, remember, it's a carnival game; and the railbirds seemed to be enjoying it.

Two days later I was given a heads up that he was on his way in and was looking to give the penny game another go with me. This time things were way more serious on his end but the game was going much the same way it did the first time and he ended up having to borrow some $$$ on the rail to keep going. Now, pretty much each time I scored he was melting down a little more, and towards the end he began punching the wall so hard that it seemed like the entire building shook. Did I mention this guy is pretty freaking strong! :eek:

We continued and he announces to the rail how he's been playing for close to 50 years and has never been in a trap until now, and he keeps repeating "I'm in a fvcking trap" "I'm in a fvcking trap". I order him a double whiskey hoping to take the edge off and we moved over 1 table at his request because he didn't like how that one was playing but things kept going my way then he committed the worst offense of all. Out of frustration, he began whacking his beautiful Balabushka on the rail then he launched whitey 5 feet into the air by smacking it with the cue bumper. I walked over to him, put my hand on his shoulder and asked him to please not hurt that gorgeous, irreplaceable cue. He seemed to take the advice. He has a long history of snapping some very high-end cues, SW's, bushkas and the like so I was genuinely nervous for this one.

This penny ball session ended with him busted and me giving him a c-note back as a walking stick and as I handed it to him and thanked him for the game I said if he wanted he could put it back in action it was entirely up to him and he said "sure, why not" so we restarted and I scored on my very first shot and he went on tilt. He says "What kind of a coxsucker are you Chicken, you give me a hundred and you take it right back like that?" and he added "I'll never play this fvcking game again as long as I live, I'm done." He hands the c-note back and that was it for our penny ball and true to his word he's never played it again.

Over the next approx year and a half he and I have had some action battles, plenty where he's bar-b-que'd this poor chicken, most recently just a few days ago he got me pretty good in banks. As I mentioned in my op, he's a strong player and in any non-carney games he has to give me a spot or I'll get my liver shot out. As our good friend and legendary road agent, Bobby Hunt, says, "that's why G-d invented weight." :thumbup: :D

Without turning this into an episode of Dr. Phil, my best guess would be that this guy's biggest issue is that he is ultra competitive and he doesn't do well to an extreme when things don't go his way. Because he's such a good player he thinks he can overcome anything with his firepower but as we know, true gambling is just that, a gamble. Way on the other end of the spectrum after almost an entire career of always being the complete gentleman and keeping his emotions in check we're now even seeing Efren infrequently whacking his stick when he misses something he never used to; granted, my opponent is this magnified by maybe 2 million. :wink:

SO, WHAT DID I DO?

When the shredded money was tossed onto the table and he left, on principle, I did follow him out to the parking lot where I confronted him and he says "Chicken, you think it's a good idea to be this close to me right now?"

Oh crap! I have to run out to an appointment. Sorry about that. This was not intentional, I swear. Just went way longer than expected.

Will finish up when I get back a little later.

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Thanks for all of your thoughtful responses.

Here's how things went and some back story.

I've known my opponent for a number of years and only ever started gambling with him maybe a year and a half ago. How we started was I challenged him to play my favorite carnival game - it's a 5 rail kick shot into an object ball that has a penny on top; after going 5 rails the cue ball must contact the ob *without* knocking the penny off. Long story a little shorter, I won close to a g-note over 2 sessions on that one, the first session concluded with me giving him back a $50 and telling him to go pick on the chickens across the street at Chic-Fil-A and not to mess with this chicken any more. :grin-square: There had been a fair amount of trash talking back & forth during the match, remember, it's a carnival game; and the railbirds seemed to be enjoying it.

Two days later I was given a heads up that he was on his way in and was looking to give the penny game another go with me. This time things were way more serious on his end but the game was going much the same way it did the first time and he ended up having to borrow some $$$ on the rail to keep going. Now, pretty much each time I scored he was melting down a little more, and towards the end he began punching the wall so hard that it seemed like the entire building shook. Did I mention this guy is pretty freaking strong! :eek:

We continued and he announces to the rail how he's been playing for close to 50 years and has never been in a trap until now, and he keeps repeating "I'm in a fvcking trap" "I'm in a fvcking trap". I order him a double whiskey hoping to take the edge off and we moved over 1 table at his request because he didn't like how that one was playing but things kept going my way then he committed the worst offense of all. Out of frustration, he began whacking his beautiful Balabushka on the rail then he launched whitey 5 feet into the air by smacking it with the cue bumper. I walked over to him, put my hand on his shoulder and asked him to please not hurt that gorgeous, irreplaceable cue. He seemed to take the advice. He has a long history of snapping some very high-end cues, SW's, bushkas and the like so I was genuinely nervous for this one.

This penny ball session ended with him busted and me giving him a c-note back as a walking stick and as I handed it to him and thanked him for the game I said if he wanted he could put it back in action it was entirely up to him and he said "sure, why not" so we restarted and I scored on my very first shot and he went on tilt. He says "What kind of a coxsucker are you Chicken, you give me a hundred and you take it right back like that?" and he added "I'll never play this fvcking game again as long as I live, I'm done." He hands the c-note back and that was it for our penny ball and true to his word he's never played it again.

Over the next approx year and a half he and I have had some action battles, plenty where he's bar-b-que'd this poor chicken, most recently just a few days ago he got me pretty good in banks. As I mentioned in my op, he's a strong player and in any non-carney games he has to give me a spot or I'll get my liver shot out. As my good friend and legendary road agent, Bobby Hunt, says, "that's why G-d invented weight." :thumbup: :D

Without turning this into an episode of Dr. Phil, my best guess would be that this guy's biggest issue is that he is ultra competitive and he doesn't do well to an extreme when things don't go his way. Because he's such a good player he thinks he can overcome anything with his firepower but as we know, true gambling is just that, a gamble. Way on the other end of the spectrum after almost an entire career of always being the complete gentleman and keeping his emotions in check were are now even seeing Efren infrequently whacking his stick when he misses something he never used to; granted, my opponent is this magnified by maybe 2 million. :wink:

SO, WHAT DID I DO?

When the shredded money was tossed on the table and he left, on principle, I did follow him out to the parking lot where I confronted him and he says "Chicken, you think it's a good idea to be this close to me right now?"

Oh crap! I have to run out to an appointment. Sorry about that. This was not intentional, I swear. Just went way longer than expected.

Will finish up when I get back a little later.

Really???!!!! I see why the guy you were gambling with may have been a little irritated, we wait all this time and still dont get an answer?? I even read your story very carefully so I didnt miss anything. :thud::rotflmao1::rotflmao1: