Most Economical Way To Mail A Stick?

RedTail

Registered
Was wandering if there are any tips or tricks to mailing a cue. Are there any flat postage boxes that anyone uses? Last time I shipped, it was like 33 bucks? Gotta be a easier way. I think UPS just came out with some flat rate.
Thanks,
Red

longhorns2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was wandering if there are any tips or tricks to mailing a cue. Are there any flat postage boxes that anyone uses? Last time I shipped, it was like 33 bucks? Gotta be a easier way. I think UPS just came out with some flat rate.
Thanks,
Red

I'd do the pvc pipe thing. I thought I did that for under $20 last time

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Buy a $3.50 Readyppst box or buy 36" tubes on Amazon

Pack cue up properly inside said container

Mail via USPS Priority Mail

Most expensive Priority Mail shipping is $20 for that package, coast to coast

Insure it for the sale price and they pay out claims with proof of purchase, a PayPal receipt was good enough for me when I filed a claim for damage

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks,
Red
That's about what it costs to do it right. Bubble wrap the cue, put it in a tube and then put tube in a triangular mailing box. $25-35 is about the going rate.

BryanB

Huge Balls
Silver Member
Depends on if you want it insured or not. Standard insurance coverage for Fedex is $100 and that is included with basic shipping. I shipped/insured a $1500 cue and it was about $50 each way.

Edit: I shipped it inside a tubular hard case and used a Fedex box that was just big enough

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Free box from USPS.

One roll of good packing tape.

Tape the box inside and outside all over.

Ship USPS Priority for around $8 dollars.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Free box from USPS.

One roll of good packing tape.

Tape the box inside and outside all over.

Ship USPS Priority for around $8 dollars.

Great way to get one snapped. Those triangle boxes won't protect well enough. Get a cardboard/pvc tube first then the box. I had a nice cue get broken when a guy sent it using only the box.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Buy a $3.50 Readyppst box or buy 36" tubes on Amazon

Pack cue up properly inside said container

Mail via USPS Priority Mail

Most expensive Priority Mail shipping is $20 for that package, coast to coast

Insure it for the sale price and they pay out claims with proof of purchase, a PayPal receipt was good enough for me when I filed a claim for damage

I've shipped dozens of cues this way with not one problem yet. I prefer not to put a high dollar value on them out of concern for the possibility of internal theft at the post office (it happens!). Priority Mail will get it anywhere in the U.S. within 2-3 days. I like to put a cue in a round tube and put that in the USPS triangle box (free from the post office). It's secure and safe that way.

Last edited:

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great way to get one snapped. Those triangle boxes won't protect well enough. Get a cardboard/pvc tube first then the box. I had a nice cue get broken when a guy sent it using only the box.

I have shipped thousands of pool cues and never had one damaged.

It's what I do every day.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

You pack them good I'm sure! Lots of plastic wrap and maybe some wadded up newspaper to make sure it's all tight inside the box.

Last edited:

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've received more of those triangular USPS boxes than I've shipped, but not one has ever come without some amount of creasing. Never had any damage, but most have come with a tube inside, thankfully.

Those triangular boxes definitely don't hold their shape.

Not to argue with those who don't use tubes, but if you don't want to take a chance, use a tube inside. Without insurance, it should come to about $25.

Those triangular boxes? As another here said, the USPS will deliver to you, for free.

Thanks,
Red

USPS Priority Mail is usually the cheapest way, but I like FED EX Ground / Home Delivery service much more, because the tracking is much better, and they actually guarantee a delivery date, unlike Priority Mail, which has no guarantee.

FED EX Ground / Home Delivery is also pretty fast, in my experience.

For example, if you are mailing something that is in the next state over, or maybe within your same state, then it might get delivered in 1 business day.

USPS, nor any of the other carriers that I know of offer a flat rate for pool cues.

USPS Priority Mail is by far the cheapest, in my experience.

I have mailed cues for under $10 in the past, and that includes the cost of the tube, which is free (the Triangle Priority Mail tube that USPS offers, which is around 32/6/6 inches). Might have to order the tube though, and they are free to order at USPS.com, because the post office sometimes runs out of them.

I usually go to like a Family Dollar, and buy like 3 rolls of bubble wrap for a $1 each (Dollar General charges $1.60 each for theirs), and that is plenty enough bubble wrap to secure a pool cue in one of those Priority Mail tubes that USPS offers for free.

Then depending on how valuable the cue is, the Insurance cost might be expensive.

Insure the cue only for the amount that you can prove the cue is worth.

The total cost for USPS Priority Mail will be cheaper then any other service you can find, but FED EX Ground or Home Delivery has only cost maybe $5-$7 more in my experience, shipping cues valued under $200, and still under $20 total.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
First question is if the US Postal NERDY DISTROY your Cue in the mail, are you prepared to kiss off the loss?

If not Park it for War, insure for value, and that way if SH*T Happens your OK.

FED EX offers a similar Triangle box that is much much stronger then the USPS one, and you can grab one at any FED EX Store, for free, and then turn it inside out, and use it to ship USPS Priority Mail.

I usually turn it inside out, and use it to ship FED EX Ground / Home Delivery though.

They are really great, and very strong boxes.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
FED EX offers a similar Triangle box that is much much stronger then the USPS one, and you can grab one at any FED EX Store, for free, and then turn it inside out, and use it to ship USPS Priority Mail.

I usually turn it inside out, and use it to ship FED EX Ground / Home Delivery though.

I do this for Priority, works out great

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Wow...I would count your blessings.

Like another poster said, it seems that a lot of times the triangle box arrives creased, bend, etc. Like most on here, I usually ship a tube inside the USPS triangle box.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member

I do this for Priority, works out great

Why would anybody looking to earn people's trust admit to doing this?

"Make sure you check your references before you buy on this site. Even a mod here engages in bad business!"

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
Why would anybody looking to earn people's trust admit to doing this?

"Make sure you check your references before you buy on this site. Even a mod here engages in bad business!"

Really? What are you the postal police. What a clown