Removing vial from Starrett without breaking

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The backing paper in some of my older ones are stained and/or dirty. I’d like to change it out for better visibility, at the same time do a throughout clean up.

I wrote up & asked Starrett. They said no way to keep the vial from breaking.

Does anyone have a different thought?

The paint on the body is texture. Pls share what you’ve used for a close-enough look (if not exact).

Thanks much.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Level

I offer vial replacement service.
I’ll seal the background, the last one I did with a tournament blue background.
You see the bubble had shrunk from the warmth of my hands from me handling it during the process, the bubble will go back to normal at room temp.

Rob.M

Attachments

• DD671EB1-32D7-444A-B11A-2F434F6308EB.jpg
    DD671EB1-32D7-444A-B11A-2F434F6308EB.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

HaiNhi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the offer Rob.

I’m still looking for easy way to remove the vial. 😄

Worst case I can still replace with my spare one. But I don’t want to throw parts at it if I don’t have to.

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
Level

If your lucky enough to get the vial out without damaging it...im not saying it can’t be done but it will be a challenge even for the most experienced..
The guys at Starrett tech support are extremity knowledgeable with many-many years of on the job.. I’m not sure you know what your up against having to reset the vial in the tube properly once you get the vial out and ready for instlation let alone the rest of the process. the ears are pressed in/friction fit, they have to be deadnuts in parallel with eachother and the tube/vial. If you fit the ears in the wrong order you will mess it up due to not having the proper ear on the high side and when you go to calibrate the level the adjustment end will be topped out with no more room for adjustment but still needing to raise the assembly to level/calibrate...
I have a simple $85 dollar fix and Yeap’ thats not just any ordinary cardboard box... that’s a Starrett cardboard box, they ground and scrape their cardboard deadnuts before it leaves the factory..��
LoL.