Fargo rant

optician

best one pocket in philly
Silver Member
so i want to start off by saying im a solid b player playing 9 ball /mayby A player playing one pocket. I played in one tournament 2 years ago and it was a back pocket 9 ball tournament, I beat one player who is good at 9 ball but dindnt play back pocket, i got like 6th in tourny, I move out of state, went to play in tourny they checked my fargo and it says 719, So i guess i have to spend alot of money playing in tournaments to show im not a good player so rating goes down. Anyone else have this problem with fargo , not looking to steal but i got 30players who can attest to my rating.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so i want to start off by saying im a solid b player playing 9 ball /mayby A player playing one pocket. I played in one tournament 2 years ago and it was a back pocket 9 ball tournament, I beat one player who is good at 9 ball but dindnt play back pocket, i got like 6th in tourny, I move out of state, went to play in tourny they checked my fargo and it says 719, So i guess i have to spend alot of money playing in tournaments to show im not a good player so rating goes down. Anyone else have this problem with fargo , not looking to steal but i got 30players who can attest to my rating.
You must have beaten some pretty decent players. You don't get a 719 by accident.

Stew_Pidaso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is your robustness? If very little, assigning a proper starter rating could rectify things until you get the proper number of games in the system.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

That tournament record doesn’t stay there forever....and its importance to your rating
diminishes with time also.
But as a player, you really should be trying to get it higher...no 900s yet.
.....dare to be great.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I doubt that many people have one tournament only in Fargo that was a back pocket 9 ball event LOL, in most cases the Fargo rating is a bit too low not too high.

I'm sure it's possible to adjust your rating based on known ability, but as who you would need to vouch for you I don't know. Maybe a person that runs a USAPL or BCA league in your area.

Fargo does not really care what game the win/loss you got was. If you beat or were on the hill with 700 players in that tournament, it will see that you beat 700 ranked players and rate you the same. You can't say to the system, well the 10 players I played were all sick that week and we were playing one handed behind the back one pocket in the dark which is my specialty so I beat Jayson Shaw and Appleton that day but I am not normally that good. It will just see "Bill beat Jayson and Darrin by 2 games a set" so he is this good.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... who can attest to my rating.
You could point out your lack of robustness. I imagine you have only 50 games or so in the system and they are counted only about 60% towards your rating compared to new games.

But what happens when you talk the TD into putting you in 70 points lower than your non-robust rating and then you take second barely losing in the finals? I think that gets you banned. And everyone is mad at the TD.

I think you have to take what the system says. If you play in unhandicapped tournaments that go into FargoRate, your rating doesn't make any difference.

Ron Padilla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heck the apa tournament I played in this past sunday doesn't comply with fargo according to the director, I asked him this past sunday and he commented that the tournament doesn't comply, so I guess none of us would ever get a rating playing in this tournament. funny this is when I asked him he almost ran away from me go figure.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You could point out your lack of robustness. I imagine you have only 50 games or so in the system and they are counted only about 60% towards your rating compared to new games.

But what happens when you talk the TD into putting you in 70 points lower than your non-robust rating and then you take second barely losing in the finals? I think that gets you banned. And everyone is mad at the TD.

I think you have to take what the system says. If you play in unhandicapped tournaments that go into FargoRate, your rating doesn't make any difference.

I have a great example, I have a friend that played with me for a while on a team, he was one of the best in the league in our area and when the league converted to Fargo he was a 640. Recently we played in an event, he said 640 is too high for him now because he has not played much in last year or two. He went undefeated for a while spotting some players 6-2 and ended up coming in 3rd. Which showed the rating was correct after all even if he has not played as much lately.

I agree the best way to get a solid Fargo rating is to play in several not handicapped events. At a high entry cost so the player does not think to sandbag for a few then start winning when his rating is low LOL. Play even, who cares if you sandbag, you will just lose and be out of the event.

Last edited:

Stew_Pidaso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heck the apa tournament I played in this past sunday doesn't comply with fargo according to the director, I asked him this past sunday and he commented that the tournament doesn't comply, so I guess none of us would ever get a rating playing in this tournament. funny this is when I asked him he almost ran away from me go figure.

That's because if they started seeing how their players actually lined up in Fargo, they would see just how flawed their rating system is in APA.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
That's because if they started seeing how their players actually lined up in Fargo, they would see just how flawed their rating system is in APA.
I think that many people enter handicapped systems only because they feel they can gain an advantage by "working" the system. I've seen this in pool, of course, but I used to hang around some bowlers. Wow!

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the best bet is to contact FargoRating (mailto:mpage@fargorate.com) and see how your conversation goes. From my perspective I can’t differentiate what’s true, what’s misleading and what’s the result of a mistake from a post like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know the OP, he is from Philly. Eddie Abraham from Philly is rated a 719 on fargo, with a robustness of 994, has been the best active player in Philly for the past 20 years, and will absolutely mop the floor with the OP in ANY game under the sun! Sorry OP;)

I'd put the OP somewhere between 600 to 650 range.

This must be a case of low robustness. And Ernie, how in the world did a back pocket tournament get input into Fargorate? It is only for 8, 9, 10 ball. Straight pool, one hole, bank pool, backpocket 9 ball, etc, do not get entered into the database. I also don't know of any promoter in the PA area (the only area that would likely have a backpocket event), even using Fargorate for their events.

Are you sure you are not mixed up on that? Or maybe the person who said what your rating is?

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If people really want to they can work any system .. I am a 5/6 in apa with a 467 Fargo rating. There is an apa 7/8 with a 454 rating ....a 7/9 with a 456 rating and another 7/9 that I dont recall the Fargo rating but he only spots me 4 points.

Apa is not the only league that has sandbaggers.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found your rating. It is 679 with a robustness of 20 games. Also for comparison is Matt Krah's rating, who is the most nationally active player in the Philly area. He goes to every single local, regional, and national level tournament.

What do you think the score would be between you and Matt in 9 ball in a race to 13?

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 5.11.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-10 at 5.13.44 PM.png

Last edited:

SpinDoctor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a similar rating on Fargorate(720+) when it first launched because of an event I had played ages ago. I hadn't played in a competitive event in probably 4 years since that one and entered in a local event earlier this year. I didn't play overly well that event and my rate adjusted down to 674 as a result.

I don't think you will have to spend a lot of money(as you put it) to have your rating normalize to a level that is closer to your actual ability.

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Curious guys, what's considered good for a league player, a serious local tourney player, a short stop? I can see what the pros are but what about amateurs?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Curious guys, what's considered good for a league player, a serious local tourney player, a short stop? I can see what the pros are but what about amateurs?
This is covered at FargoRate.com on the FAQ tab. Among other things, it says:

800 A top world-class player. About 10-15 players worldwide have ratings that exceed 800.

700 A top regional player in the US –a solid entry in the Grand Master Division or a clear threat to cash in the Master’s Division at the BCAPL Championships – a threat to run six in a row if the break is working. Around top 50 in the Eurotour. World-Class female player.

600 Likely to cash in the BCAPL Open Division but probably won’t make it to the top 32. – may be in Advanced Division, but not likely to cash. Has run three-in-a-row multiple times and maybe four-in-a row a time or two. High Run in 14.1 of 50-60.

500 A good local league player. Runs out first time at the table in about 10% of the games.

400 Runs out first time at the table in about 1% of the games—once or twice a league season.

300 A common level of play for league player. Probably has run a table, but maybe not.

200 beginner level – modestly coordinated --Most likely has never run an 8-ball table

100 beginner level – somewhat uncoordinated

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Varies by locale, but where I'm at, this is how I would break it down. Mens only as I dont keep track of the female players numbers.

Average league players 400s

Better league players 500s

Serious smaller tourney players 600s

Shortstop high 600s to low 700s

Then of course,

Lower level pros low to mid 700s

Top pros high 700s

People who sold their soul, 800+ :thumbup2:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I believe you play apa MVP or may be familiar with apa handicaps and I can give you some comparisons of apa level vs Fargo rate of several apa players in our area who also play usapl every week. Left out some sandbaggers .

Apa 3 ...fargo 339
Apa 4...fargo 390
Apa 5... Fargo 435
Apa 5/6 Fargo 467 that's me
Apa 6....fargo 506
Apa 7/8 ..fargo 575
Apa 7/9...fargo 610

One of our better short stop's I guess you can call him. He has a full time job and does not play in a whole lot of tournaments that I know of ..fargo 736