Gold Crowns and the term Diamonized

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I think 4 7/16" at 139* play better and more realistic .:D
Not quite Ernesto's 4" 135*.
And not quite Diamonds'.

Your picture of the corner pocket with the protractor tells the tale. Why wont you post a pic of the protractor on the pocket?
Love ya Joey, but, your claims are a very small percentage of people who would actually want it that way. Not to mention ZERO manufacturers think or do that :)

TFT

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My home table had 4" at 141* and it didn't rattle balls down the rail. The GC1 I'm restoring will have 4.125" at 141*.

34991331233_fdde9d5f80_c.jpg

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Your picture of the corner pocket with the protractor tells the tale. Why wont you post a pic of the protractor on the pocket?
Love ya Joey, but, your claims are a very small percentage of people who would actually want it that way. Not to mention ZERO manufacturers think or do that :)

TFT

Next time I get this done, I'll request 4 3/8 138*.
Haha! And back to SS rubber.

Attachments

• GC#.jpg
    GC#.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 210

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think 4 7/16" at 139* play better and more realistic .:D
Not quite Ernesto's 4" 135*.
And not quite Diamonds'.
Basically 4.5 and 140. Nothing wrong with that set-up. I just measured a Diamond 9' ProAm and its 4.5 and 141. Too close to call as far as a difference. The ED table i shot on was close to that 4 and 135. Played funky imo.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Basically 4.5 and 140. Nothing wrong with that set-up. I just measured a Diamond 9' ProAm and its 4.5 and 141. Too close to call as far as a difference. The ED table i shot on was close to that 4 and 135. Played funky imo.

+ or - a degree or two is not a huge difference for sure.

If it aint broke, dont fix it is a fair perspective. I will keep following what the 3 majors do: Diamond, Brunswick and Rasson. :)

TFT

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I stand corrected. Steve was just here doing some work on my Gold Crown and he said he cut the pockets on my old table at 139*. He said 141* is good for 4.25" but too wide for anything smaller.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I stand corrected. Steve was just here doing some work on my Gold Crown and he said he cut the pockets on my old table at 139*. He said 141* is good for 4.25" but too wide for anything smaller.

:thumbup::thumbup:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Someone help me understand how this helps anyone's game? Especially those who play in tournaments? Seeing as in ALL Diamonds, newer GCs and rasson tables are 141 and 102, why would anyone want to practice on anything different than what they would play on at a tournament?

TFT

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find this thread entertaining.

Here's the BCA equipment specs:

Corner Pocket: Mouth 4 7/8” minimum to 5 1/8” maximum
Side Pocket: Mouth 5 3/8” minimum to 5 5/8” maximum

The angle at the corner pocket entrance on each side of the pocket is 142º (± 1º).
The angle at the side pocket entrance on each side of the pocket is 103º (± 2º).

Vertical Pocket Angle: 12º minimum to 15º maximum

My Gold Crown I, which I believe has the original sub-rails and original rubber, measures out at 5" corner pocket opening and 141º. Note that that's the average, there's slight variation in the opening, none in the angle.

I think this is IDEAL for a home table that's shared with family members who are not serious players. And, it's fine for a serious player. (Side pockets are 1/2" wider at the tits.)

Note that anything below 4 7/8" is out of spec for BCA.

Incidentally, WPA Tour specs are:

Corner Pocket Mouth: between 4.5 [11.43 cm] and 4.625 inches [11.75 cm]

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Honestly we have both Diamonds, Gold Crown II's and III's where I play. The recreation management got a bug up their a***s a couple of years back. Dumped like 10 or 12 of he Gold Crowns, for New Diamonds.

The dumped Gold Crowns were sold off for $250.00 - $400.00 per table. Some people scored great old pool tables for a fraction of the cost of a NEW DIAMOND.

I honeslty like the older tables, the Gold Crown better. Yes the Diamonds are pretty, but nothing special too loose sleep of.

If you mission is to have pocket cut like a Diamond it's doable by some good table mechanic.

Diamond Billiards has done a wonderful job of selling their product, using it in Las Vegas, DCC, etc. Now no one want to play on anything but a Diamond.

Most of the rest of the World outside the USA, their stand top end table is a GC. Hell the Chinese even make their own CopyKat Gold Crown Pool Table.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just measured all 8 corner angles, they vary form 140.5º to 145º.

Then, it's tough to measure on the sharp edge of the cushion to the facing, with the cloth, etc. For a better measurement I'd likely go around and measure all of them five times or so and take an average for each.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I just measured all 8 corner angles, they vary form 140.5º to 145º.

For a better measurement I'd likely go around and measure all of them five times or so and take an average for each.

What would that do? Just wondering.

TFT

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would that do? Just wondering.

TFT

I have no idea. I can only attribute it to manufacturing variability and measurement variability. As I think I mentioned, with the cloth and the sharp edge of the cushion nose it can be tough to make a good measurement.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have no idea. I can only attribute it to manufacturing variability and measurement variability. As I think I mentioned, with the cloth and the sharp edge of the cushion nose it can be tough to make a good measurement.

I meant making an "average".

I measure them all the time, pretty easy to get a proper reading.

TFT

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I meant making an "average".

I measure them all the time, pretty easy to get a proper reading.

TFT

I don't know, Trent, all I'm saying is that as I measure them, I get different readings on the eight angles, form 140.5º*to 145º, so, there're not all the same.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I don't know, Trent, all I'm saying is that as I measure them, I get different readings on the eight angles, form 140.5º*to 145º, so, there're not all the same.

Oh, that part is very common. You would have to replace the cushions and recut all the angles to get them all the same.

TFT