A Post from the Main Forum

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know how many here in the Aiming Forum read the Main Forum so I thought I would paste it here.

Some really good instruction by Mark Wilson. Enjoy. :)

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=507089

John :)

Mark is great, and so is his book, Play Great Pool. These are excellent videos!

I do disagree with something he says in the first video, when he compares driving a car to aiming a pool shot. Sometimes I wonder how great instructors tend to overlook the reality of learning how to play. They all seem to focus solely on cue delivery, ignoring the fact that aiming itself is also a skill that must be developed through repetition.

Imagine this.... Let's say a new player develops an excellent and consistent stroke without ever shooting a shot, using only the cb, no object ball. Once the player is able to deliver the cue with near flawless action, move onto actually pocketing balls, to sending the cb where it needs to be in order to send the ob to the pocket. There will be no magical pocketing skills here. The player will have to shoot many many shots, estimating or guessing the shot line based on ghostball, contact points, fraction, or whatever, until they develop some type of consistent shot recognition and accuracy in aiming with that nice stroke delivery.

I agree with Mark when he says there are no secret "professional" aiming systems that will turn a player into a great player like magic. I agree when he says cue delivery is the most crucial/important element to playing great pool. But I respectfully disagree when he says a player must miss thousands of balls in order to be get good at aiming. Yes, it does work. I'm not saying it doesn't. It's called rote, and many worldclass players have evolved using that good old trial and error process. But that doesn't mean it's the only way. Thinking that we all have to miss thousands of shots in order to develop consistent aiming skills is just incorrect.

The brain learns and develops skills through repetition. That's why, traditionally, it takes so long to get really good at pocketing balls. First you must develop a consistent stroke, through repetition, then you must develop good aiming skills through repetition. Once you get to the point when you're making more balls than you're missing, your brain is getting more successful repetitions, and that's when your skill level begins to climb quicker. Until then you're repeating more unsuccessful shots than successful shots. That's why you have to miss thousands of shots before the brain finally gets enough solid information to tie it all together, to pave all those synaptic pathways needed to make aiming feel more automatic and natural. A solid and accurate aiming system can drastically decrease the amount of time required to reach this level. By reducing the amount of shots you are missing (due to inadequate aiming experience), you can immediately provide your mind with more successful results, which paves those synaptic connections much quicker.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I do disagree with something he says in the first video, when he compares driving a car to aiming a pool shot.
It is if you let the right brain take over.
When all is said and done, your mission is to deliver that cue ball to the right spot at the right manner it is spinning or sliding.
And Mark Wilson just killed all instructors who teach fancy aiming systems to anyone who just walks in or pays for it instead of improving their PSR and delivery system. Some even advocate moving the grip hand or cue while already down. Even to the students who already HAVE bad mechanics and setup. They are actually COMPOUNDING those students' problems. Imagine making a fancy aiming system work for them while their PSR/setup/delivery system are messed up.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree with Mark when he says there are no secret "professional" aiming systems that will turn a player into a great player like magic. I agree when he says cue delivery is the most crucial/important element to playing great pool. But I respectfully disagree when he says a player must miss thousands of balls in order to be get good at aiming. Yes, it does work. I'm not saying it doesn't. It's called rote, and many worldclass players have evolved using that good old trial and error process. But that doesn't mean it's the only way. Thinking that we all have to miss thousands of shots in order to develop consistent aiming skills is just incorrect.

You're too polite to say it, but I will. You are talking, of course, about the relationship you discovered, somehow, between the rails and the balls on the table. Not only is there a mathematical relationship between the fixed rails and the randomly placed balls on the table, but for many shots that relationship is extremely simple to calculate. If you can divide 1 by 4 or 3 by 4 you're good to go.

I'm gonna say #1. Discovery of penicillin #2. Discovery of the combustion engine #3. Discovery of Poolology. :thumbup:

I think every great discovery is met with a large amount of sour grapes and "Oh, I already knew that" mentality. The ego is a fragile thing. Anyway, maybe Berk Kinister had something similar to yours, but from what little I've heard it sounds complicated. When a mathematical discovery proves something in nature, it is generally found to be "elegant." E=mc^2, 1+1=2 and so on. Poolology works right out of the box and the neat thing is that when you have mastered it, you no longer need it.

Mark and all the PBIA guys and the independent instructors who are worth anything should be requiring every student to pick up a copy of your book. It'll probably never happen until a new generation of instructors comes along due to the jealousy factor, but on the other hand I'm sure there are plenty out there who would employ it in their lessons if they knew about it and really understood what it meant to pool.

Let me rephrase my list of great discoveries:

#1. The leather cue tip
#2. Modern phenolic billiard balls
#3. Poolology

:thumbup:

duckie

GregH
Silver Member
You're too polite to say it, but I will. You are talking, of course, about the relationship you discovered, somehow, between the rails and the balls on the table. Not only is there a mathematical relationship between the fixed rails and the randomly placed balls on the table, but for many shots that relationship is extremely simple to calculate. If you can divide 1 by 4 or 3 by 4 you're good to go.

I'm gonna say #1. Discovery of penicillin #2. Discovery of the combustion engine #3. Discovery of Poolology. :thumbup:

I think every great discovery is met with a large amount of sour grapes and "Oh, I already knew that" mentality. The ego is a fragile thing. Anyway, maybe Berk Kinister had something similar to yours, but from what little I've heard it sounds complicated. When a mathematical discovery proves something in nature, it is generally found to be "elegant." E=mc^2, 1+1=2 and so on. Poolology works right out of the box and the neat thing is that when you have mastered it, you no longer need it.

Mark and all the PBIA guys and the independent instructors who are worth anything should be requiring every student to pick up a copy of your book. It'll probably never happen until a new generation of instructors comes along due to the jealousy factor, but on the other hand I'm sure there are plenty out there who would employ it in their lessons if they knew about it and really understood what it meant to pool.

#1. The leather cue tip
#3. Poolology

So, then a person, who never played pool, can walk up to the table after reading poolology and run over a 100 balls without missing?

Gotta it......

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, then a person, who never played pool, can walk up to the table after reading poolology and run over a 100 balls without missing?

Gotta it......

Uhhhh.... what?

That makes no sense at all. Aiming is a skill, developing a good stroke is a skill, and position play is a third one. Each is pretty distinct from the other. Nobody here is talking about position play.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I do disagree with something he says in the first video, when he compares driving a car to aiming a pool shot. Sometimes I wonder how great instructors tend to overlook the reality of learning how to play. They all seem to focus solely on cue delivery, ignoring the fact that aiming itself is also a skill that must be developed through repetition.

Imagine this.... Let's say a new player develops an excellent and consistent stroke without ever shooting a shot, using only the cb, no object ball. Once the player is able to deliver the cue with near flawless action, move onto actually pocketing balls, to sending the cb where it needs to be in order to send the ob to the pocket. There will be no magical pocketing skills here. The player will have to shoot many many shots, estimating or guessing the shot line based on ghostball, contact points, fraction, or whatever, until they develop some type of consistent shot recognition and accuracy in aiming with that nice stroke delivery.

The brain learns and develops skills through repetition. That's why, traditionally, it takes so long to get really good at pocketing balls. First you must develop a consistent stroke, through repetition, then you must develop good aiming skills through repetition. Once you get to the point when you're making more balls than you're missing, your brain is getting more successful repetitions, and that's when your skill level begins to climb quicker. Until then you're repeating more unsuccessful shots than successful shots. That's why you have to miss thousands of shots before the brain finally gets enough solid information to tie it all together, to pave all those synaptic pathways needed to make aiming feel more automatic and natural. A solid and accurate aiming system can drastically decrease the amount of time required to reach this level. By reducing the amount of shots you are missing (due to inadequate aiming experience), you can immediately provide your mind with more successful results, which paves those synaptic connections much quicker.

Fortune Cookie say:
"Every arrow that hits the bull's eye is the result of one hundred misses."

Lou Figueroa

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Gotta it......

duckie
step back and think about this alittle
first you have to pocket the ball
if not you cant continue shooting
then you have to put the cue ball in a place where you can make the next ball and get to where you can make the ball after that
each step is independent
to run 100 balls you have to do ALL of them
and leave yourself makeable shots at every step of the way
jmho
icbw

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

#1. The leather cue tip
#3. Poolology

Thanks for the good words Dan! I wouldn't put Poolology up there so high, but I do believe it can, and is, helping many pool players reach higher skill levels in less time than traditional aiming methods require.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member

Gotta it......

Of course not. But if a player has a decent stroke and can send the cb to wherever I point my finger, it would be a great shortcut for developing excellent aiming skills if I could stand there for each shot and hold my finger tip exactly where the cb needs to be. No trial and error, just see where the cb needs to go and send it there.

BC21

Gold Member
Silver Member
Fortune Cookie say:
"Every arrow that hits the bull's eye is the result of one hundred misses."

Lou Figueroa

Lol. If every pool shot were straight in, where the contact point is directly in line with ccb and center ob, then the arrow analogy works.

When shooting an arrow, the bullseye is plainly visible, or at least easily discernible, so there is no guesswork involved with knowing where the arrow needs to land. The process is 100% reliant on the mechanics of the person holding the bow and arrow, because the bullseye never changes. It always looks the same from the bow and arrow's perspective.

In pool, the "target" spot is not so easily recognized. There are numerous shot angles that look different from different perspectives. It's nothing like shooting an arrow at a well defined target that is 100% known. In pool, the target (ghostball or contact points or shot line or whatever) is traditionally not 100% known until after you shoot thousands of shots and develop an eye or a good feel for it.

If the aim on every shot were 100% known, then it wouldn't take a thousand misses to develop good aiming skills, not if you already have a decent stroke. All we'd have to do is develop a stroke and we'd be able to pocket balls with ease. But that's not the reality of it. We also need to develop a good eye/feel for aiming. You could have a great stroke and lousy aiming skills. It's two separate skill sets.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Mark Wilson's YouTube Lesson's

I agree with you in part. There is a thing going on here that was easy for me to miss as well. I always thought if there were an aiming mechanism that got people closer to right then they would learn to play better. I no longer think that for all people some will. Most people just want to have fun and be a little better using their own devices to decode how to play pool. One time I saw a guy (Doctor) that I knew from the local room and he was playing horrible and I asked if he ever tried looking at things different and he wasn't interested because Pool has a component of curiousity in it that people are determined to conquer it themselves. Without that spark Pool would die but yet how do you help someone without helping them learn to aim?

You have to present a puzzle and then let them figure out the equation or they really won't be near as interested.

I think CTE fell perfectly into that curiosity niche. People would get in and find it not working for some of the shots yet it did for others and became possessed in learning how to make it work for them. CTE won the day in a lot of regards.

It stimulated the curiosity mechanism in humans to continue on and eventually a lot of people were able to understand how to quantify a correct adjustment on many of the shots that really in all actuality isn't much different than the adjustments that you would learn to make from using any technique out there and making the adjustment you need to make because you missed a shot.

Pool was played, people enjoyed it and got better but its the same game. You have to deliver right to score. Aiming is one part, delivery is 100% to hit the microdot like Mark Wilson said.

You can play 50 yrs and some of the shots have the ability to look funny to you every once in a while but if you have perfect fundamentals that is obviously going to help.

Someone like Allison Fisher (who I've talked to about her take on Instruction) might have a more finite smaller thing to learn to do in order to achieve the perfect alignment than some of us.

I was impressed with Wilson's knowledge of the time each action took with an Amateur vs. Pro Player and his skill using the Ipad camera functions to show the person he's coaching what they are doing.

That's worth a lot and might be enough to get me to go get a lesson myself. Anyone got his number?

Palmetto cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know. That guy looked pretty cool and like a pretty decent pool player... ;)

Thanks, I was making fun of myself. Mark is a great instructor. He was very kind with his time afterward, and was genuinely concerned with my continued improvement. First class guy, and a true asset to our sport! :thumbup: