167.1 KB · Views: 909
Last edited:

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SUPER SHARP LOOKING CUE ….
I like the veneer colors,
Who built this one ???

Thanks! That is a 5 veneer John Davis front in the $ cues built cue. This cue was stolen around 2010 and recovered some time later.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
Thanks! The original Balabushka is owned by Fatboy, he provided measurements from that cue for this one.

That's awesome. I knew it was a Bushka tribute, but I couldn't remember where I saw the design. A 5 veneer Davis prong to boot!

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's awesome. I knew it was a Bushka tribute, but I couldn't remember where I saw the design. A 5 veneer Davis prong to boot!

The wood for the cue came from McDaniel's old shop. The BEM has super tight and straight grain, same for both shafts. The Ebony is jet black, dark as inside a cave. Davis took the wood and knocked it out of the park with the 5 veneer front.

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great cue!! I remember reading that the theft of this cue kinda caused Tony Clifton to give up the ghost on his part of moving forward with the Thoroughbred cue line out of the shop. Just kinda killed the joy, I guess.
Glad to see it's back "in the light of day".
These guys were doing some really high quality stuff. No surprise.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great cue!! I remember reading that the theft of this cue kinda caused Tony Clifton to give up the ghost on his part of moving forward with the Thoroughbred cue line out of the shop. Just kinda killed the joy, I guess.
Glad to see it's back "in the light of day".
These guys were doing some really high quality stuff. No surprise.

This is a Thoroughbred instead of a $ cue? I was told it was originally made for an overseas collector and always thought it was a $. Someone else pointed out that if the cue had no logo it had a microchip embedded, a pet ID chip. Highest quality craftsmanship and advanced tech design in an old school cue!

mdavis228

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, as I recall this was made on the Thoroughbred "side" of the shop. Same shop, of course.
The Cash cues were primarily (excellent) "players", where the Thoroughbreds were "higher end" type stuff.
Both "brands" made by Bill's former employees, in Bill's former shop, with Bill's former equipment & wood stock, and very much at the McDaniel quality point. After all, these were the guys that had been doing most of the work making Bill's cues before he retired.
The shop did a number of cues from John Davis FS blanks. I owned a $ cue in Brazilian Rosewood at one time.
Too bad they couldn't make it work for the long haul. There was outstanding stuff coming out of that group. The cue world took a bad beat when the doors closed.