I had a vision today of many pool rooms, and bars closing soon

back2good1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy said:
Well I am glade one refinery is going on line. I normally have to drive 30 minute to play in any tournament. My choise is Kolby?s in Tempe, and that is 45-50 minute drive each way. :mad:

Yeah, I wish I lived closer to Kolby's too... but I live up in Anthem (WAY WAY north Phx) and it takes about 1 hour to get there. At least Metro Sports bar is only 25 min away with no traffic.

-Back2good1

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy said:
Well I am glade one refinery is going on line. I normally have to drive 30 minute to play in any tournament. My choise is Kolby?s in Tempe, and that is 45-50 minute drive each way. :mad:
Im in Chandler so im not far,like 10 miles,takes me 15 minutes to get there but still feels like a long trip for some reason,lol.I will be there Bruce so bring your cue and your game. :D

avmaster

Man of Reason
Gold Member
Silver Member
punter said:
I don't think anyone is stopping the oil companies from building new refineries. It's economics. Right now an expansion at Motiva (used to be a Texaco refinery) in Port Arthur, TX, will make it the largest refinery in the country, and provide a lot of new jobs for about a three year period.

Hate to bust your bubble, but the issue is the government thanks to the green people and the EPA. Permitting for such construction is a minimun five year process with multiple "public hearings" where all the enviroinmental whack jobs petiion to stop it. Then they file law suits which some activist judge issues a restraining order. The up front costs are prohibitive, the process to just acquire a permit generally ends up taking upwards of ten years and expense in the tens to hundreds of millions. The actual construction will be be 100 mill and up depending on size and output. The actual problem in this country is the green people, the EPA and a dumba$$ congress. So.... get used to the costs cause they will continue to go up................

Oh, I should mention in this edit that I manage major projects of this type in the 400 million to one billion range.... Just my 02 worth.

Last edited:

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
Diesel is 3.80 up here...

Try putting in 100 gallons every day... I'm not looking forward to this summer when I get my fuel bills. I'm headed to Sac to play, but it only means I have to win the first set, whoever I play ;)

Warren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy said:
Stopped to buy Gas, that was $2.87.9/Gal. last week, and it is now $3.05.9./Gal. News media is saying gas will go to $4.00/Gal by summer.

Guess I will be staying home this weekend, and not making the planned trip to Tempe Sunday for a tournament.:mad:

I will point the blame finger at the environmentalists who will not allow, have blocked exploration for oil in the U.S., and have not allowed needed new refineries to be built in the U.S.:mad:

Part of the solution may be ethanol -- ethanol derived from waste materials and cellulosic biomass instead of starch. The challenge is to be able to get the process to work cheaply -- maybe $0.50 input per gallon. Technologies are being developed, unfortunately cellulose is a bad mf'er to break down! Of course you can complain about it, or do something about it :)

http://ksef.kstc.com/Dynamic/Awards/Abstract.cfm?ContactID=KSEF-1151-RDE-009

warren..

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Fast Lenny said:
Im in Chandler so im not far,like 10 miles,takes me 15 minutes to get there but still feels like a long trip for some reason,lol.

:D Try walking it once, and you will appreciate the short drive.:D

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
CocoboloCowboy said:
:D Try walking it once, and you will appreciate the short drive.:D
Sometimes with the traffic i feel i could run there faster,i used to run 15 miles,but now maybe 2 miles and im toast. :D

avmaster

Man of Reason
Gold Member
Silver Member
Warren said:
Part of the solution may be ethanol -- ethanol derived from waste materials and cellulosic biomass instead of starch. The challenge is to be able to get the process to work cheaply -- maybe $0.50 input per gallon. Technologies are being developed, unfortunately cellulose is a bad mf'er to break down! Of course you can complain about it, or do something about it :)

http://ksef.kstc.com/Dynamic/Awards/Abstract.cfm?ContactID=KSEF-1151-RDE-009

warren..

Guys, ethanol is a fraud. It is more costly than fossil fuel and gains us nothing but a good feeling.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Gerry said:
yea, prices are up!....I paid $3.75/gal for diesel today. Looking at recipts from last year thats up exactly $1 a gallon. I own a plumbing biz which is basically economy proof, so I'm not bichin, but I really do drive a lot! I fill up every 3 days.....dual 16gal tanks :eek: you do the math!

My granny used to tell me during the depression one of the only trades unhurt was plumbers.....I can see that makes sense to me now, but I still might trade in the GIANT utility dually diesel beast I drive every day!?
A very close friend of mine is a builder in Houduras, all they drive down there are quad cab long bed pickups but they are the small narrow pickups, kinda like the old Toyota long bed pickups in the late 70's early 80's. That's what it'll come too here in the states just give it time. 26 mpg Diesel Isuzu is what my friend drives, all mfg have this style down there. I've seen 12-15 laborers loaded in one headin' to the job site.

olauzon

HANK THE TANK
Silver Member
avmaster said:
Guys, ethanol is a fraud. It is more costly than fossil fuel and gains us nothing but a good feeling.

fermentation a fraud? please explain oh mighty

avmaster

Man of Reason
Gold Member
Silver Member
olauzon said:

First off, not almighty. Secondly, ethonol has an adverse inpact on our food supply. It does not increase milage, actually decreases it, Has an adverse impact on your engine, shortens the life span of your auto. We need alternatives to fossil I agree, but this one is actually more expensive. And, to explain it here in laymens terms would take more time than I care to invest. Google ethanol. You'll find all, pros and cons......:)

Edit: Science is not absolute. Every time we think we have reached it's limits, we discover something that makes us a lier. Some tend to believe that the rules are absolute. I have found in my life that nothing is absolute. It is only limited by mans imagination

Last edited:

olauzon

HANK THE TANK
Silver Member
avmaster said:
First off, not almighty. Secondly, ethonol has an adverse inpact on our food supply. It does not increase milage, actually decreases it, Has an adverse impact on your engine, shortens the life span of your auto. We need alternatives to fossil I agree, but this one is actually more expensive. And, to explain it here in laymens terms would take more time than I care to invest. Google ethanol. You'll find all, pros and cons......:)

ok, sure, not a good place to debate the pros and cons perhaps. google? eum, no. started a business producing ethanol and methanol and haven't lost the knowledge yet. it isn't as effective as fossils and re-engineering of engines is needed. most cons however are still cons because of oil companies set the political stage at large to hinder true development of bio fuels.

i'll edit in regards to your edit; couldn't agree more

Last edited:

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Seems to me it's about living in a gobal economy instead of national economy. Things have to even out.

Warren

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
olauzon said:
ok, sure, not a good place to debate the pros and cons perhaps. google? eum, no. started a business producing ethanol and methanol and haven't lost the knowledge yet. it isn't as effective as fossils and re-engineering of engines is needed. most cons however are still cons because of oil companies set the political stage at large to hinder true development of bio fuels.

i'll edit in regards to your edit; couldn't agree more

There are not too many places in Oregon yet involved in biofuels! If your place has any issues with fermentation performance, take advantage and give me a buzz at wlushia@ferm-solutions.com -- fixing fermentation problems is our main area of expertise! Most of the time we do it for free -- our reward is the business we gain from helping people -- meaning when our solutions actually solve the problem they end up purchasing from us. My main job is teaching biochemistry and genetics to medical students, but this is a side business that has been very successful so far. Warren..

DelaWho???

Banger McCue
Silver Member
olauzon said:

It is a fraud because it costs about 25% more to create ethanol than it sells for on the market. Gov't subsidies and involvement in biofuels breeds waaste and corruption. There is a biodiesel plant here in DE which received a multimillion $ grant from the gov't to set up shop and get up and running. 3 yrs later they haven't produce a drop of fuel, and have run through the money, because they laid off all but 6 employees.

I am all for developing alternative fuels and more efficient engines, but short term (while we perfect these technologies) we should expand and tap into our own resources. High per barrel oil prices makes it economicall to uncap existing wells to get at the oil that was too expensive to go after a few years ago.

As to the shortage of workers, part of that is due to a growing wind power industry that is growing along the TX coast. This is a good thing, high paying skilled jobs here in the US that can't be sent overseas...

Finally, for a lot of years I have heard we don't pay enough for gas (compared to Europe0 and that mkes us wasteful. Higher costs means conservation and more tax revenue, so gov't and green types should be loving this.

Me I drive a company car, I don't even look at the cost I just fill it up and go....It's quite liberating, my wife has to pay for hers, and she's driving a fuel efficient Subaru......

I guess my love was bigger than a Honda, but (unlike the Boss) it wasn't bigger than a Subaru....

Banger