Good match from accustats

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He could have easily said 50% less and it would have been way better. Just my $.02 here. Good match tho.

His thoughts on how each shot should be played are informative. The rare times Earl does commentary are the same.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
what a crazy ass break rule they use here wth
The break at nine ball has been broken -- as in causing huge problems -- for about 20 years. There's a pretty good player named Corey Deuel. You may want to check out what he has done with the break.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The break at nine ball has been broken -- as in causing huge problems -- for about 20 years. There's a pretty good player named Corey Deuel. You may want to check out what he has done with the break.

Might explain why 10 ball is becoming more popular. I liked Sigel's idea - break from the head spot.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Great match thanks
Love Mike's commentary and how the game was played in 2 eras

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike showed on several occasions he's past his prime and a bit clueless on today's game. At times he was enjoyable and informative but those times were few and far between.

Great match to sweat. Thanks for posting

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play much 9 ball but this was interesting to watch both players use that same cut break.
An interesting change from the "squat the rock" school of thought.
Cue ball is going wild on their breaks!

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's funny how Mike started by laughing at the ineffectiveness at the cut break and later was saying it should be banned because it made the game too easy.

Although I do like his 'make everyone break from the head spot' suggestion. Let's see Corey solve that one! Shoot, he probably would, he might find a way to safety break, drive three balls into the kitchen and lock the cue ball behind one of them...

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Might explain why 10 ball is becoming more popular. I liked Sigel's idea - break from the head spot.

We actually did that in a tournament many years ago and it put a stop to all the rack shenanigans. It has also been used as a handicap/spot in money matches several times.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We actually did that in a tournament many years ago and it put a stop to all the rack shenanigans. It has also been used as a handicap/spot in money matches several times.

And they came close to that (breaking from the head spot) in the 2013 Mosconi Cup.

They used a break box only about a foot wide and racked the 9-ball on the spot. And apparently they had an agreement (but no illegal-break rule) not to cut break.

Successful breaks were just 33%. The breaking side won 44% of the games. Break-and-run games were just 10% (13 of 125), and 7 of those 13 were 9-balls on the break. The break became a search for how to make the 2-ball bound off the foot rail and kick the 9-ball into a side pocket or a head pocket.

Edit -- and one of the commentators was named Helfert.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The breaking side won 44% of the games. ...
I wanted to highlight this. It means that the break was a disadvantage under those conditions. (Within the statistical margin of error, of course, as always.)

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I wanted to highlight this. It means that the break was a disadvantage under those conditions. (Within the statistical margin of error, of course, as always.)

Yes, and some people felt players were trying to lose the lag after the first day.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, and some people felt players were trying to lose the lag after the first day.

Nobody cares what I think but I'd say throwing doubt into the game is better than having balls wired. At least for me that would be more enjoyable.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nobody cares what I think but I'd say throwing doubt into the game is better than having balls wired. At least for me that would be more enjoyable.
Simple solution: breaker has to push. Everyone plays every rack. Lots of maneuvering. Better than the interminable little tweaks, many of which can't be adopted in casual play.

And no one will care much about how the balls are racked.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps they should just make the mosconi cup a 10 ball event. Has it ever been seriously considered?