Protocol for saying "Nice Shot"

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
Friday night I was playing doubles 8-ball. A good player that I know was on the other team and made what was apparently a great shot, but: 1) I was blocked from seeing the shot by his body; 2) When he was finished with the shot I noticed that he had no other shot or way to get out.

His teammate and his wife started telling him what a great shot it was -- but I just walked back to my table to talk with my wife. (I think that he made a carom or something).

I get approach by the guys older teammate and he was irrate and started telling me what a bad person that I was and that I was an @sshole, for not telling his partner, "Nice shot".

I was actually amazed at how mad the guy was -- so I just stood there starring at him. Now the opponent that made the shot that I know -- hears all of this and assumes that I must have said something insulting about him -- so he puts his jacket on and is ready to quit and leave.

All of this for not saying, "Nice Shot" -- even though, I couldn't even see the shot and the guy had no way to get out after the shot.

Here's how I look at it -- when playing a good player, I admit -- I don't normally say "Nice Shot" unless it was something really special, or if it was a break-out or something that allows him to get out. Am I a bad guy for that? I hear lots of bar-league players saying "Nice Shot" after just about any shot that is made -- but that's just not my thing. Thoughts?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
can't win

They got mad because you didn't say "nice shot". Somebody else will accuse you of sharking if you do say "nice shot". You can't please everybody all of the time.

Hu

Get_A_Grip said:
Friday night I was playing doubles 8-ball. A good player that I know was on the other team and made what was apparently a great shot, but: 1) I was blocked from seeing the shot by his body; 2) When he was finished with the shot I noticed that he had no other shot or way to get out.

His teammate and his wife started telling him what a great shot it was -- but I just walked back to my table to talk with my wife. (I think that he made a carom or something).

I get approach by the guys older teammate and he was irrate and started telling me what a bad person that I was and that I was an @sshole, for not telling his partner, "Nice shot".

I was actually amazed at how mad the guy was -- so I just stood there starring at him. Now the opponent that made the shot that I know -- hears all of this and assumes that I must have said something insulting about him -- so he puts his jacket on and is ready to quit and leave.

All of this for not saying, "Nice Shot" -- even though, I couldn't even see the shot and the guy had no way to get out after the shot.

Here's how I look at it -- when playing a good player, I admit -- I don't normally say "Nice Shot" unless it was something really special, or if it was a break-out or something that allows him to get out. Am I a bad guy for that? I hear lots of bar-league players saying "Nice Shot" after just about any shot that is made -- but that's just not my thing. Thoughts?

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
The next time he shot and missed I'd yell out "nice shot...almost....if there were a pocket there." Of course I have way too big of a mouth for my size. Johnnyt

JohnnyP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Germans snap their fingers after a"nice shot".

I watched the video of Ortman running 197 in '86. Took me a while to figure out what the clicking was.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=84271

There's a guy saying something in German for the first minute or so, probably be some kind of tribute. I think they show the score sheet.

olauzon

HANK THE TANK
Silver Member
sounds to me that there was something else going on also that you're not saying or wasn't aware of. and of course there's the plain stupid people. last night i broke and ran a hill hill 8ball table and the guy comes up furious, says f*** you to my face LOL

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
olauzon said:
sounds to me that there was something else going on also that you're not saying or wasn't aware of. and of course there's the plain stupid people. last night i broke and ran a hill hill 8ball table and the guy comes up furious, says f*** you to my face LOL

When someone gets in my face and says "f*** you" I try to time my fist hitting his face when he's saying the YOU part. Johnnyt

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have been waiting for a few weeks on a new pool table to be delivered, so I have been watching anything I can on pool or snoooooker and I have noticed that the commentators in England say "shot" when they see a great shot. But in my world compliment is purely optional.:p

olauzon

HANK THE TANK
Silver Member
Johnnyt said:
When someone gets in my face and says "f*** you" I try to time my fist hitting his face when he's saying the YOU part. Johnnyt

i hear you. i had to change my attitude and get under their skin instead. a laugh keeps the idiot an idiot and getting into verbal BS sinks me to their level.

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get_A_Grip I get approach by the guys older teammate and he was irrate and started telling me what a bad person that I was and that I was an @sshole said:
Except your girl friend/wife and children no one on the planet is ENTITLED for compliments or gifts.When your work supervisor has a tendency to fish for compliments you better compliment him whether you liked it or not.No American Law requires you to compliment others.
The older team mate approaching and calling you names has the same profile of rapists, murderers and bank robberers.I have a new name for those people with that kind of expectations and sense of entitlements-
' Unconvicted felons'.We have subtantially significant number of people in our society.
By the way if I am playing a serious game one of the things I tell my opponent before the start of the game is that if he chose to complement me he may not do so when I am still at the table.:cool:

Last edited:

tpdtom

Really Old School
Silver Member
I've been playing pool amongst top players and gamblers since about 1965. You see EVERYTHING ! As far as the protocol is concerned, many are quiet, many b**ch and moan while a player is shooting, and many make a comment ala Keith in "The Color Of Money" like, 'Just go on and take it off, I can't make a ball anyway'. The gentlemen players are usually quiet until their opponent's inning ends, with the exception already mentioned of a really GREAT shot.

Bar league players often get pretty insincerely friendly though, with many high fives over nothing and 'good luck' all around but that's not the standard in the pool world by a long shot. Nothing wrong with it either, many are just trying to show good sportsmanship. The next guy might ask if you wanna play for $10 or whatever and he's a poor sport to some. Depends on the league and the company. Play it by ear. For what it's worth, nothing you describe sounds like you did anything at all objectionable, and those guys probably can't play a lick. Hang in there...Tom

our_auctionguy

The Wall.....
Silver Member
tap tap tap

the sound of the cue tapping on the floor after a nice shot is especially rewarding to me. No words, no shark, just pure compliment. I learned that in Florida and had never experienced it before anywhere else except Colorado. If someone doesn't like the fact that you didn't shower them with compliments, just say " Man, I really wanted to see that shot you say was so fantastic, but unfortunately I missed it because his big arse was blocking my view. Bummer, dude!"

jhendri2

Rack'em Sausage
Silver Member
JohnnyP said:
The Germans snap their fingers after a"nice shot".

I watched the video of Ortman running 197 in '86. Took me a while to figure out what the clicking was.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=84271

There's a guy saying something in German for the first minute or so, probably be some kind of tribute. I think they show the score sheet.

I still do this from spending time in Germany. People here just look at me like I got three heads here. I think it's more polite and less distracting than actually saying something.

Jim

PKM

OB-1 Kenobi
Silver Member
There must be more going on in this story, no one could get that angry based on not saying "nice shot." We need more information, then we can offer a psychological profile based on the case evidence.

imageuploadimagexq9.jpg

housecue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I make a great shot, I prefer people not to say "nice shot" because I feel obligated to say "thanks" and that can get me out of my zone and I'll lose focus on the task at hand.

bomber

Jeopardy Is My Road Game
Silver Member
Proper Ways to compliment someone on a good shot

1. Say quickly and simply "good shot" or "good ball" right after they make it and say no more. (good)

2. Tap you cue on the ground a few times (better)

3. Wait till their inning is over and say "good out" or "good shot on the six" (best...in my opinion)

It is in bad form to make a spectacle of it...that is just as bad as sharking someone. That can get someone out of rhythm. A compliment is not a requirement but a brief "good ball" or a cue tap IS the way to go. It shows respect for your opponent but, more importantly, it shows respect for the game. I always tap my cue or say good ball even if I despise my opponent. It is just respectful to the game itself.

Story: I was a senior in high school playing baseball against a top team in our region...game was tied 2 to 1. I hit an absolute bomb to tie the game up. As I rounded second base after the homerun,the shortstop, who was a hell of a player and a hard nosed competitor, said to me "Nice ball." It was brief but genuine. I gained a ton of respect for that guy and I will never forget it. True competitors can have a strong desire to win but still respect achievements of others and respect the sport they are participating in.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Two or three taps on the floor with the butt of your cue is the correct way to reward a really nice shot IMO. I've been doing it since I was a kid...all the better players in the rooms would do this. Johnnyt

housecue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once I play a gentleman who taps the table a few times when I make a good shot. My initial reaction was "What the heck???" haha

Get_A_Grip

Truth Will Set You Free
Silver Member
PKM said:
There must be more going on in this story, no one could get that angry based on not saying "nice shot." We need more information, then we can offer a psychological profile based on the case evidence.

imageuploadimagexq9.jpg

Well...I did ask someone about the guy tonight...and the conclusion was that when this guy is drinking...he can go off for apparently no reason at all. So I guess that he just used the "nice shot" thing as an excuse to blow up.

Oh...another little detail. When we kept playing after the game where the outburst occured...the older guy and his wife...said "nice shot" to me in the very next game as least twice during the game. When they first said it, I thought that they were rubbing it in or something -- but actually, I realized that they were actually being sincere. I guess to them....a game is not a game unless everyone showers compliments on each other. It is true though, you can't ever please everyone.

Last edited:

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
our_auctionguy said:
the sound of the cue tapping on the floor after a nice shot is especially rewarding to me. No words, no shark, just pure compliment. I learned that in Florida and had never experienced it before anywhere else except Colorado. If someone doesn't like the fact that you didn't shower them with compliments, just say " Man, I really wanted to see that shot you say was so fantastic, but unfortunately I missed it because his big arse was blocking my view. Bummer, dude!"

Here, Here. The tapping of a cue bumper on the floor is a big compliment in my book. I think I first saw it done in the movie,The Hustler. And I have seen a few others do it.
The problem is....nowadays, the music is playing too loud to hear it. You gotta see your opponent do it, to notice.

okinawa77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get_A_Grip said:

On a similiar note, what irks me, is when someone says "Nice leave"....when they didn't leave the table. The correct term is "Nice shape", when they are still shooting.

"Nice Leave" is used when you have performed a good safety shot and "leave" the table with your opponent hooked. Unless, you are playing Scotch doubles, then "nice leave" is a shot that leaves your partner a good shot.

Of course, I don't punch them in the mouth or anything crazy. Most times I just let it go. I tried corrected a few people, but maybe it has become habit to them because it doesn't seem to sink in.

But it is all semantics, when in doubt....don't say anything.