Shooting drills or practice ideas?

scassidy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I'm an 'A' rated player in my pool league. Been stuck here for a long time and not improving much. In leagues I will typically run out a table in 8 ball off the break about 10 percent of the time. I often do better in practice, but lack confidence at times in actual competition which affects my ability to play to my best game. I'd like to step up my game to be able to compete with the master level players in my league.
I've always battled with social anxiety, so I have never been able to make many friends in the pool world to practice with. So I usually practice alone. I know this has been a hindrance in my progress towards improving my game, but I love to play and want to get better. So I was wondering if any of you better players out there have any ideas for Shooting drills, or anything else, I could use to improve my game? I don't own a pool table so I go to the pool hall to practice. Thanks

Hobo

Banned
Hi, I'm an 'A' rated player in my pool league. Been stuck here for a long time and not improving much. In leagues I will typically run out a table in 8 ball off the break about 10 percent of the time. I often do better in practice, but lack confidence at times in actual competition which affects my ability to play to my best game. I'd like to step up my game to be able to compete with the master level players in my league.
I've always battled with social anxiety, so I have never been able to make many friends in the pool world to practice with. So I usually practice alone. I know this has been a hindrance in my progress towards improving my game, but I love to play and want to get better. So I was wondering if any of you better players out there have any ideas for Shooting drills, or anything else, I could use to improve my game? I don't own a pool table so I go to the pool hall to practice. Thanks

Ya don't do drills...when you do drills you are setting up the balls in artificial positions that you don't come across in a game situation. Better to spend time on your fundamentals. When the pressure is on players rely on their fundamentals. Appleton was saying while running the last rack in the US open (?) Anyway all that was going through his head was "don't move your head".
(and yes I know DA does drills)

Last edited:

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I came across Michael Reddick's website "thepoolscene.com" a couple days ago and found a few drills that looked interesting. I haven't tried any yet but they did look challenging.

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enter as many singles tournaments as you can. Learn to shoot your game any where any time.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Do you play outside of this league aside from just solo practice time?

Running 1 of 10 8 ball racks is not very A level, although that depends on your layouts. With an open table in 8 ball an A player can probably run out almost every rack. My son and I are both B+ players and it's about a 1/4 or 1/5 open table run out for us in 8 ball, with most mistakes happening at the last ball or second to last ball that prevents a run-out more often. This is with no clusters to deal with.

There are a lot of drill videos and books, but that may not help you in a game with others, especially if you get a bit shy or self-conscious. What I would suggest outside of drills is to play as much as you can with others, including tournaments where you would be playing people you may never met before. Do not practice shots you already know, aside from a warm-up. If you can make a shot 10 out of 10, don't practice it, or not a lot. Setup hard shots that you have issues with.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite drill, taught to me as a teenager and I still enjoy doing it at 61, is the L drill, with 8 balls lined up and spread out evenly in a straight line from the foot spot back to the end rail closest to the foot spot, and the other 7 going from the foot spot straight across to the side rail at the 2nd diamond. You can do this drill to either corner pocket, altering the placement of the final 7 balls.

You can do this drill either starting with ball-in-hand first shooting the ball on the end rail and trying to maintain the proper angle to make all 15 of them in order, or you can start with ball-in-hand and shoot the ball on the head spot first, then playing shape for any other ball, in order you choose. Either way you choose is very demanding - probably moreso to try to go in order from the end rail first.

When you miss, you set them back up and start over. When/if you've mastered getting through all 15 without a miss (not easy), then you can add 2-4 more balls, and move your lines of balls to 2-1/2 diamonds/sights from the corner pocket instead of 2 diamonds, making it much more challenging.

I can do this drill for hours without getting bored - frustrated maybe! I'm not a one pocket player, but I can only assume this is a particularly valuable drill for one-pocket players.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
In order to find effective drills I think you first need to be aware of what weaknesses exist in your game and execution in order to the correct drills to work on them. If you don't feel like you're making good strokes and hitting the cue ball precisely then do stroke drills. If you are missing certain shots or positions work on drills that re-enforce those. Personally I like to do up and down the table with the cue ball and stop shot drills for stroke straightness, the Billiard University drills for cue ball position, and break practice.

However, by what you said it seems like you need more experience playing people to kind of get over that anxiety. Drills can't help with that. Playing local tournaments can.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
However, by what you said it seems like you need more experience playing people to kind of get over that anxiety. Drills can't help with that. Playing local tournaments can.[/QUOTE]

I have never suffered from social anxiety but I can say that a certain level of fear existed thinking I wasnt good enough before I entered a tournament. It doesnt matter what skill level you are, most of the players you will encounter are cool and you will learn exponentially from playing better players. Local tourneys are really fun and challenging. By the way, I'm still not good enough but I do have fun. Drills and playing by yourself will only go so far before you plateau. You have to play better players to get better thats the bottom line.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
Getting your own table is something you should consider if possible.

Get yourself in local and regional non-handicapped event. You are not going to improve much playing leagues. It sounds to me that you need to get some more seasoning.

There are many kinds of drills, ones that reinforce basics, shotmaking, position.....

What I would suggest is for you to self reflect on your game, try to find 3 things that you don't do very well, and practice them until they become your strength.

If you can tell us what you don't do well I am sure many forum members can give you good drill suggestions.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think you are at a point in your game where you need to take stock. My 2 cents is that you should look into the "anything else" first before jumping into drills. You might benefit from a larger perspective on what it takes to improve and how to get there. If you have a little disposable cash on hand, pick up a copy of Play Great Pool by Mark Wilson. It will orient you in the right direction so that you are making the best use of your time, and not just hunting and pecking for different drills. You will go to the pool hall with a sense of purpose and a game plan. Well worth the $70 investment.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Look up Darren Appleton's drills on Youtube. Not easy but effective.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My favorite drill, taught to me as a teenager and I still enjoy doing it at 61, is the L drill

So that's about 45 years of doing the L drill. You ought to be 999/1000 on that drill by now! :wink:

I like this drill, too. Straight pool player Danny Barouty says it is the only drill he does. I know I see the difference in my own game.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So that's about 45 years of doing the L drill. You ought to be 999/1000 on that drill by now! :wink:

I like this drill, too. Straight pool player Danny Barouty says it is the only drill he does. I know I see the difference in my own game.
One reason I like this drill is because, at my skill level, it is realistic for me to successfully accomplish making all 15 balls, but only if I really concentrate and don't take any shots or positioning to the correct angle for granted.

We now have a 10-foot table with tour cut pocket specs, so it is still very challenging to complete successfully on that table, especially needing to be stretched out and using an cue extension for some shots.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One reason I like this drill is because, at my skill level, it is realistic for me to successfully accomplish making all 15 balls, but only if I really concentrate and don't take any shots or positioning to the correct angle for granted.

We now have a 10-foot table with tour cut pocket specs, so it is still very challenging to complete successfully on that table, especially needing to be stretched out and using an cue extension for some shots.

Getting a little away from the OP, but just one more comment about the L drill. I see two aspects to it. One is that it challenges you to put the cb where you want to and see if you can do that for 15 shots. The other is that it tests how well you can recover from a missed position. You'll often have to draw back into the side rail to get back in line, or when turning the corner you find yourself needing two rail position to get back in line. It's just a useful drill that comes up in just about every rack of every game.

1sttbone

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wanna win!

all the greatest have their favorite drills.. Some Play a rotation game, others actually do drills wether its shooting in a long straight in over and over or doing certain drills to improve. the end result will be a higher average in league and more satisfaction in your own ability. Try " WANNA WIN" Bebob has it. :wink:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...snip...
I've always battled with social anxiety, so I have never been able to make many friends in the pool world to practice with. So I usually practice alone. I know this has been a hindrance in my progress towards improving my game, but I love to play and want to get better. ...snip....

I find pool players don't care about your popularity, or background, or wealth, or if you are funny, or good looking, or even ever open your mouth to speak. I think it might be the perfect sport if you have social anxiety. So many weirdos find a home in the pool hall (me included:) ). If you get the courage to ask someone to play, they don't care about any of that. Just get to the table, and hit the balls in the holes. Nothing else matters. Go have fun.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I find pool players don't care about your popularity, or background, or wealth, or if you are funny, or good looking, or even ever open your mouth to speak. I think it might be the perfect sport if you have social anxiety. So many weirdos find a home in the pool hall (me included:) ). If you get the courage to ask someone to play, they don't care about any of that. Just get to the table, and hit the balls in the holes. Nothing else matters. Go have fun.
Yep, I agree. As long as someone has good player etiquette during a game - both when they are shooting and when you are shooting, it really doesn't matter at all what their life story is. I actually prefer very little social interaction while playing - particularly as opposed to someone who can't shut up.

Cannon14.1

Registered
Is first figure out why you’re not running out during matches. Keep a journal and be sure to update it after each match. Look for trends and then build your drills around your faults. Is it position, control, speed, accuracy, or just inconsistency? I too found that I can play particularly well when I’m practicing especially after being warmed up, but during matches I’d faluter some. So, to increase my operrunity to play well under pressure I would gamble. Find a lessor skilled player and give them a lot of weight, say their 4 to your 9, or a more skilled player. This helped me bring my best game to the table and really helped me to understand my game. It’s hard to recreate the tension of a match without gambiling in my opinion. When playing for a little cash you don’t have to make friends, just play your best game and be fair— and make sure the odds Force you to bring your best game to the table.