Your percent for this drill?

heisenbug

Registered
I have a seven foot table. I'm assuming that this makes this drill infinitely easier. I sort of do this drill, but it's because I'm lazy and I don't want to keep setting up the balls when I'm warming up. I use it as a stroke builder for warm up.

I've found that the balls are too close together to use all fifteen on a seven foot table. I like to give myself a little room and pull three balls out due to the less wide table.

I do two sets of twelve with stop shots, then one set of twelve with punch follow (about three cue ball diameters), one set of twelve with punch draw, one set of twelve trying to follow to the end rail, and one set of twelve trying to draw back to the back rail. It's the new thing I do for warm up before I start practicing.

I suck at pool, but I'm doing my best to get better everyday. I'm much less accurate with draw shots and much more accurate with follow shots. I occasionally get all twelve, but I've never done the entire set of drills without missing a few balls. Also, while I'm trying to make the balls, I'm also working on cueball control so I'm not 100% focused on just making it.

Last edited:

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I'm much less accurate with draw shots and much more accurate with follow shots.
I think the main reason for this would be that draw shots have to be hit considerably harder - a harder stroke is harder to control.

Concentrate on smooth acceleration.

pj
chgo

heisenbug

Registered
I think the main reason for this would be that draw shots have to be hit considerably harder - a harder stroke is harder to control.

Concentrate on smooth acceleration.

pj
chgo

Probably right. The speed does affect things, but I also feel I'm much more consistent with the natural roll of the cueball. The ball just feels like that's what it wants to do. When I start hitting below center, I feel like I'm fighting physics and I'm much less consistent with my speeds.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Heck guys, if you want to practice shooting dead straight shots, then just grab some pool balls
and from the kitchen, take ball in hand and try pocketing them at any distance whatsoever you
wish to use. Pick either corner pocket but you have to install or use a corner Pro Pocket Reducer.

When you can drive the object ball between the small rubber arches without touching them, then
your aim is as accurate as anyone’s could be playing pool. Now when you can pocket a dozen or
more balls using one of the PP Reducers & consistently score in the double digits, you are dead on.

hayes1699

Registered
don't underestimate this drill

The first pool lesson I ever took was from Stevie Moore who swears this drill is the reason he's ever won any tournament. People on this thread are highly underestimating the difficulty of this drill and it rewards. People write it off because of the surface level simplicity, which is ultimately the genius of the drill. Stevie described this drill as a sight calibration that helped him with ALL his shots. I don't want to call out any pro's on this thread but I've set this drill up for six or seven professionals / A+ players and NONE made all 15. It takes time and dedication to get good at this drill. Having said that I have no question that the worlds upper echelon players would complete easily, but that's why they are who they are. This drill doesn't differentiate the 550 player from the 600 - more like the 750 to the 800 player.

12 years ago I had just gotten a table during my lessons with Stevie and I practiced this drill for two weeks before APA regionals. I started the weekend as an APA 4 handicap. The following Monday I was a 7.

More details: Stevie would shoot this drill nine different ways, always shooting the same stroke per 15 ball set.

• stop
• 3-6 inch force follow
• 1 diamond follow
• 2 diamond follow
• 3 diamond follow
• 3-6 inch draw
• 1 diamond draw
• 2 diamond draw
• 3 diamond draw

99% percent of pool players, including myself, are too lazy to practice this drill, much less perfect it.

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
99% percent of pool players, including myself, are too lazy to practice this drill, much less perfect it.

Are you referring to the OP's drill? I have it on camera now; I just need time to shrink the file a little and upload it.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
The first pool lesson I ever took was from Stevie Moore who swears this drill is the reason he's ever won any tournament. People on this thread are highly underestimating the difficulty of this drill and it rewards. People write it off because of the surface level simplicity, which is ultimately the genius of the drill. Stevie described this drill as a sight calibration that helped him with ALL his shots. I don't want to call out any pro's on this thread but I've set this drill up for six or seven professionals / A+ players and NONE made all 15. It takes time and dedication to get good at this drill. Having said that I have no question that the worlds upper echelon players would complete easily, but that's why they are who they are. This drill doesn't differentiate the 550 player from the 600 - more like the 750 to the 800 player.

12 years ago I had just gotten a table during my lessons with Stevie and I practiced this drill for two weeks before APA regionals. I started the weekend as an APA 4 handicap. The following Monday I was a 7.

More details: Stevie would shoot this drill nine different ways, always shooting the same stroke per 15 ball set.

• stop
• 3-6 inch force follow
• 1 diamond follow
• 2 diamond follow
• 3 diamond follow
• 3-6 inch draw
• 1 diamond draw
• 2 diamond draw
• 3 diamond draw

Exactly what I was thinking. Some of the simplest drills don't get the respect they deserve by people who need them the most.

Coos Cues

Coos Cues
I'm rated a 539, and would bet I could make 15/15 :)

On a nine footer with 4.5 inch pockets and worn cloth? Unpolished balls? Stop shot as indicated in the OP?

I would take that action and you would be bust in about ten minutes if you're really a 539.

SonSpark

Percentage of drill

Ball in hand - 100%. You should be able tyo make nearly any ball on the table from nearly anywhere above 90%.

Try the same drill except go to the next ball just using the movement of the cue ball (shape) to set it up. It's quite a bit harder but it will make you a vastly better shooter if you are persistent. You could start by alternating ends of the table for your target and then try it all on one end. Doing it this way, I am at about 85% I would say. I don't keep a count but I start all over if I miss a shot and I frequently have only one or two balls left.

Anyway, doing shooting practice even for 45 minutes a day keeps the bad games away. I just put on my favorite album and shoot until it's over. (another one if I feel like it.)

Good shooting friends.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On a nine footer with 4.5 inch pockets and worn cloth? Unpolished balls? Stop shot as indicated in the OP?

I would take that action and you would be bust in about ten minutes if you're really a 539.

I don't have a high robustness, but looking at a fair match between me and some of the higher ranked locals. I'm probably between 600-620

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
I have tried this drill many times, it is known as a concentration drill and if you are playing well its not too hard to beat. It will highlight poor fundamentals and the shots along the rail can be tougher than you would think.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a drill I do a lot. Line up all 15 balls in a line between the side pockets. Set up a straight-in shot from the second diamond (like shown on the diagram) and shoot into the corner with a stop shot/slight draw. Repeat (ball in hand, straight-in) for all balls, 7 into one corner, 8 into the other.

What percentage do you make and what do you consider your playing level? Just curious to see how I compare.

Thanks.

I've never done that drill. Do you actually have a target/zone for the cue ball to stop at after pocketing one of the balls?

I've completed this drill several times and also the one for follow. The draw one is the one below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191211-232444_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191211-232444_Gallery.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 160
  • Screenshot_20191211-232238_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191211-232238_Gallery.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 137

napacunningham

Registered
Helps me fix my stroke

When I used to do this drill regularly I would make about 29 out of 30.

These days its my go to drill when I feel like my stroke is getting off. Especially after a few days off of regular practice It's easy for me to set up the camera behind me and then check to see what's wrong.

I add variations. I'll do 5 stun shots, 5 draw shots to 1 diamond back, 5 more draw to 2 diamonds back. These will usually go well. Then I reset and start hitting harder. This is when the stroke issues really show up. A couple months back my hand was going out away from my body during the back stroke and I didn't know it until I watched the video. To help fix it I lined up practice strokes on the rail between the wood and felt to make sure the stick was travelling straight. Once I fixed what felt right I went back to the table with the hard shots to work on it. That night in league I played great. This drill and a couple others ones I always go to when some of the fundamentals are off.

napacunningham

Registered

• stop
• 3-6 inch force follow
• 1 diamond follow
• 2 diamond follow
• 3 diamond follow
• 3-6 inch draw
• 1 diamond draw
• 2 diamond draw
• 3 diamond draw

I like this. I will be trying it out.

hayes1699

Registered
I'm referring to taking each shot BIH and setting up a dead straight shot (2 diamonds out) for every ball lined up from side pocket to side pocket.

Protractor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a seven foot table. I'm assuming that this makes this drill infinitely easier. I sort of do this drill, but it's because I'm lazy and I don't want to keep setting up the balls when I'm warming up. I use it as a stroke builder for warm up.

I've found that the balls are too close together to use all fifteen on a seven foot table. I like to give myself a little room and pull three balls out due to the less wide table.

I do two sets of twelve with stop shots, then one set of twelve with punch follow (about three cue ball diameters), one set of twelve with punch draw, one set of twelve trying to follow to the end rail, and one set of twelve trying to draw back to the back rail. It's the new thing I do for warm up before I start practicing.

I suck at pool, but I'm doing my best to get better everyday. I'm much less accurate with draw shots and much more accurate with follow shots. I occasionally get all twelve, but I've never done the entire set of drills without missing a few balls. Also, while I'm trying to make the balls, I'm also working on cueball control so I'm not 100% focused on just making it.

I have a 7 foot Valley at home (no room for anything bigger) and have been using a variation of this drill for some time. I just put an OB on the 50 yard line (i.e. center spot) at some random location and line up the CB for a straight in shot as far away from the OB as I can and still use a closed bridge with palm on the table. I don't know what my percentage would be because I usually make the first 15 without missing and proceed with other drills/playing. If I miss one of the 15 I repeat until I get all 15.

I am headed out shortly to the Elks where they have a 9' Gandy with 860 and generous pockets so I might try this.

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm referring to taking each shot BIH and setting up a dead straight shot (2 diamonds out) for every ball lined up from side pocket to side pocket.

Is there any videos with this drill? Is he using the same speed on all the shots and just moving the position of the cue tip?

thanks