I know weight is a matter of preference, but I got a question

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody ever try a super light cue made from something like bamboo?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...all else being equal, how does a cue's weight affect the draw action of a cueball?
The same way a cue's speed does - by determining the amount of energy delivered by the moving cue.

Kinetic energy = mass/2 x velocity^2.

Mass (= weight in constant gravity) and speed are the only two factors in the equation.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you want the physics and math, it is here:

They covers how everything affects draw, including cue weight.

Enjoy,
Dave

So what I gather from page 2 of TP_B.8, an infinitely light cue has m_r = infinity, which gives zero spin (omega=0), and an infinitely heavy cue gives m_r=0...and so maximum spin (omega=omega_max).

huh. interestin. do i gots that right, Doc ?

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where gravity is constant, weight = mass.

Mass/weight is one of the two factors in the equation for how much energy the moving cue delivers.

pj
chgo

Yo, Patrick...weight is never equal to mass amigo. I had a feeling u was a pretender.

Love,

Lou

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The same way a cue's speed does - by determining the amount of energy delivered by the moving cue.

Mass (= weight in constant gravity) and speed are the only two factors in the equation.

pj
chgo

Yo, Patrick...weight is never equal to mass amigo. I had a feeling u was a pretender.
Where gravity is constant, weight and mass express the same value (in different terms) - so they're equal in their relevance to the kinetic energy equation. But mass is independent of variable gravity, so it's the preferred term.

We're both pretenders among actual scientists like Dave.

pj
chgo

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where gravity is constant, weight and mass express the same value (in different terms) - so they're equal in their relevance to the kinetic energy equation. But mass is independent of variable gravity, so it's the preferred term.

We're both pretenders among actual scientists like Dave.

pj
chgo

lol...I know you don't give up, Paddy..

what if gravity is constantly equal to 2 ?? are weight and mass the same "value"

Give up, Patrick.

Best wishes,

Lou

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the meantime, what's the answer, Doc ? Heavy or light cue gives better draw

One of Dave's=notes, think it's page 6 states:

Therefore, with a typical collision efficiency, the offset that produces the most spin is
close to the miscue limit (0.5). Note that, for the assumptions above, a lighter cue (with
a larger mass ratio mr
), will deliver slightly more spin to the cue ball than a heavier cue for

offsets close to the miscue limit (x/R = 0.5), but this probably isn't enough of a reason to
try to switch to a lighter cue stick. The only other way to increase the amount of spin,
other than by increasing the tip offset (up to the miscue limit), is to increase the stick
speed.

A few following notes indicate that the lighter the cue, the better the separation, and that a cue near 22oz is not going to avoid a double hit at typical speed/offset.

So for spin, lighter cue is more efficient, and separates cleanly at offsets that heavier cues cannot.

For breaking, heavier with most inelastic tip is better, up to the maximum speed you could produce with any weight cue.

Let's 'weight' & see if i got that right. :grin:

smt

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
what if gravity is constantly equal to 2 ?? are weight and mass the same "value"
You can calculate weight from gravitational force and mass (W=mg), so if the gravitational force doesn't change, its weight indicates its mass (W/g=m).

Give up, Patrick.
I'm close to giving up on explaining this to you.

pj
chgo

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can calculate weight from gravitational force and mass (W=mg), so if the gravitational force doesn't change, its weight indicates its mass (W/g=m).

I'm close to giving up on explaining this to you.

pj
chgo

so, the weight INDICATES mass....the weight is not EQUAL TO the mass...amirite?

I win. you lose. haha

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you want the physics and math, it is here:

They covers how everything affects draw, including cue weight.
Thanks, Doc, I'll check it out right now...but it may take me a while to get through the derivations.

In the meantime, what's the answer, Doc ? Heavy or light cue gives better draw?
The answer is not simple. I think the short answer is: It really doesn't matter very much.

FYI, I just created the following resource page to try to provide a longer answer:

Check it out.

I will continue to improve this page as I answer any remaining questions in this thread.

Regards,
Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody ever try a super light cue made from something like bamboo?

Not bamboo, but I'd like to try it. However, some sort of at home printing is the future here with this particular application.

I've printed out a crappy but light cue with my 3D printer :-/. Using PLA the entire stick was right under 9 ounces at 60 inches, but it was in 15inch segments (so 3 joints). However, after banging around remote control plane forums/sites I know now that if I had a FFF/FDM* printer with a Z axis of 30 inches, I could print a 70 inch cue (no extension) at under 8 ounces (with extension 8 even'ish). I already print fully functional extensions at under 3 ounces (for 15 inch extensions), so I know that if I was to print a shaft, it would take serious trial and error at the tip end (the butt is much easier due to the inherit tensile strength you get by having to design such a wide diameter... if that makes sense).

* FFF/FDM uses filament. There are other types of printers that do not which could probably print them lighter (I'm almost positive they could), however choices of material types are much lower. While FFF/FDM printing will probably be a little heavier, with FFF/FDM style printing you still have options as you can still heavily manipulate thermal expansion. 3D printing is an additive type of construction which has some advantages over subtraction methods like injection, so designing a shaft for 3D printing is easier than if it was designed for injection (which I think most people see).

Some popular filament types for FFF/FDM:

PLA (Carbon Fiber, Aesthetics)
ABS
PETG (PET, PETT)
TPE, TPU, TPC (Flexible)
Nylon
HIPS
PC (Polycarbonate)
HDPE
PEEK

So you have choices (and there is of course more types).

I've spent a lot of time going back and forth between functional objects (a pool cue is one), and as of right now I prefer to lean towards a PLA, ASA or TPE when possible, which is basically always. PLA and ASA for pool cues is probably the lightest way to create everything but the tip, _HOWEVER_, you can use TPE for the tip... and I'm going to start trying that!!!

Last edited:

pvc lou

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The answer is not simple. I think the short answer is: It really doesn't matter very much.

FYI, I just created the following resource page to try to provide a longer answer:

Check it out.

I will continue to improve this page as I answer any remaining questions in this thread.

Regards,
Dave

Well done, Doc..thanks for the effort. The OP asked a great physics question... It's going to take me a minute to digest this page that you put up. Appreciate ya!

Lou

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Physics question:

Let's say an example, on a draw shot.

We have the same player, with the same exact stroke every single time, shooting one time with 19oz cue, then another time with the exact same cue but reduced to 17oz.

Let's assume he shot the same shot with both, and also same emotion, backstroke, everything to the teeth, also he hit down on the cueball on the same exact point.

Now my question is, with which cue does the cueball travel further to the back?
Based on all of the info and links on the draw shot cue weight effects resource page, here is a better answer than I offered earlier:

If the tip contact point is very close to the miscue limit and the OB is not very far from the CB, the lighter cue could do slightly better (everything else being equal, including cue speed).

But if the OB is not very close to the CB, the heavier cue would definitely result in more draw (everything else being equal, including cue speed).

But assuming the cue speeds are the same with each cue might not be a realistic assumption, especially for a power draw shot, where muscle physiology differences come into play, per the info on the optimal cue weight resource page.

Regards,
Dave

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on all of the info and links on the draw shot cue weight effects resource page, here is a better answer than I offered earlier:

If the tip contact point is very close to the miscue limit and the OB is not very far from the CB, the lighter cue could do slightly better (everything else being equal, including cue speed).

But if the OB is not very close to the CB, the heavier cue would definitely result in more draw (everything else being equal, including cue speed).

But assuming the cue speeds are the same with each cue might not be a realistic assumption, especially for a power draw shot, where muscle physiology differences come into play, per the info on the optimal cue weight resource page.

Regards,
Dave

Thanks for the answer, although not satisfied, it boggles my mind why there are all these variables within this simple question.

i.e. If CB is close to OB then xx, if CB is away from OB then yy, if tip is hard then XX, if tip is soft then yy, if power draw shot then Z.

I mean for the love of god why isn't the answer simple, I said all variables are the same.

So Dr Dave, with power draw shots the likes of which Larry Naval used to do, which cue should outperform the other? please just a straight answer :D

Also, I have been experimenting myself with the same exact cue and shaft, one is 17oz, the other is 19oz, and I feel that the 19oz is giving me more spin into shots, draw shots included, even my friend told me that I am drawing further than I want every single time using the 19oz as opposed to the 17oz.

So without using Math and based on real experience, I feel that 19oz is drawing the cueball much further than the 17oz from just two days of play, but I leave the math and physics to you guys.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Thanks for the answer, although not satisfied, it boggles my mind why there are all these variables within this simple question.

i.e. If CB is close to OB then xx, if CB is away from OB then yy, if tip is hard then XX, if tip is soft then yy, if power draw shot then Z.

I mean for the love of god why isn't the answer simple, I said all variables are the same.

So Dr Dave, with power draw shots the likes of which Larry Naval used to do, which cue should outperform the other? please just a straight answer :D

Also, I have been experimenting myself with the same exact cue and shaft, one is 17oz, the other is 19oz, and I feel that the 19oz is giving me more spin into shots, draw shots included, even my friend told me that I am drawing further than I want every single time using the 19oz as opposed to the 17oz.

So without using Math and based on real experience, I feel that 19oz is drawing the cueball much further than the 17oz from just two days of play, but I leave the math and physics to you guys.
You probably have slow-twitch muscle fibers (e.g., like a typical white guy that can't jump high or sprint fast), so that would make sense that you do better with the heavier cue.

Again, the answer depends on the person and the particular shot. Not all answers are simple.

Regards,
Dave