Just tested Revo vs Cynergy for 3 hrs straight

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played with both shafts on the same butt. Revo 12.4. Cynergy 12.5. Both shafts got a sniper tip. So comparing apples to apples. Not looking to start a big thread just thought if anyone is interested in this sort of thing feel free to ask questions.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which brand CF shaft did you like the most & why one versus the other.
Any deflection difference should be barely discernible but feel is unique.
What is the weight of each shaft? Are you going to stick with one version?

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just tuned in, never shot with a Synergy, didn’t like the Revo. What was the big difference?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you rate:

1) cue ball deflection
2) sound when striking CB
3) vibrations when striking CB high outside
4) comfort of taper through your stroke
5) feel/smoothness of shaft in your bridge
6) fit, finish, and appearance of overall shaft

Thank you.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d say the taper is way different. The cynergy got the pro taper I like it a lot better than Revo’s taper especially if I’m using an extension.

Shockingly the cynergy felt exactly like the Mezz hybrid pro II. Same identical hit. Revo felt like Revo. Cynergy feels a lot lighter ( not sure about the specs just feel-wise ). Revo deflects less than the cynergy. It’s not an issue under normal play but if I pound it with extreme outside or inside English ( long shots ) it goes in every time with the Revo but I missed quit a few with the cynergy. I did this for hours changing the shafts every few min so it has nothing to do w my stroke. I would never hit it that hard with extreme english in a game ever. Note I’ve shot with the Revo for over a year and just got the cynergy. Overall the revo is a harder more solid hit the cynergy does have that empty inside feeling that reminds me of the hp2. If you own either cf shaft I’d say there’s no reason to switch. As far as looks I like the cynergy better because of the tux look but both shafts are sexy as hell. Performance wise I’d say I’d pick the revo for making balls and cynergy for the feel. I’d say neither shaft is superior to wood in my opinion but I like that I dont have to worry about scratches and warping. Love love love cybergy’s taper. Not sure which will be my daily player. Cynergy feels more natural and fun to hit with but I trust Revo more and it feels like it’s easier to make tough shots with it. Not sure if it’s helpful at all any other questions just ask.

Last edited:

Brizzle

Registered
I was talking to a local mechanic and billards supply owner about these shafts.
What i got out of the conversation is that all the manufactures of pool cues are getting these shafts from 3 different suppliers. Ok, good ,and very good quality are the difference amoung the 3 suppliers making the blanks.
Then our big name cue makers buying them putting there logo on them setting there price.
According to meachnic cue tech will control the market because this year drop there price $299.
Force higher price cue makers out of the market these type of shafts.
He said the same thing happen when muli piece ld shafts came out.
Predator and lucasi. Same thing different logo.

I have only played with the revo not the cue tech.
It was ok. Not for me.

Just my 2 cents.
Mechanic could have been full of it. Just curious if any one else herd this.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They look very similar but the hit is totally different. Definitely not the same blanks with a different logo type of thing like you suggest.

Ratamon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be interested to know how Cynergy compares to Jacoby Black. The latter is my preferred CF shaft atm so any information is gratefully received. Don't like the "ding" sound of the Revo, not my cuppa tea.

spliced

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cynergy seems to only be available in the 3.7-3.8 range, even the ones with a brass insert. The revos are coming in at 3.9-4.1oz. Cynergy can be an issue if you like forward balance or need a shaft above 3.9 oz to maintain your cue’s current balance. I recently ordered a uniloc Cynergy and asked for the heaviest one the seller had available. It came in at 3.7oz and I’m a bit disappointed. Definitely throws off the balance. My maple shaft I was using was 4.1oz. Don’t like the feel of the balance with the lighter shaft. Probably going to sell or trade for something heavier.

Last edited:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The shaft weight is very important based upon what you are accustomed to playing with.
Going down in weight can require a transition period because it just feels different. And
for that very reason, many people struggle making the change and just give up and quit.

Now that doesn’t mean they’d like the change with more playing time. It means that the
change was really noticeable & distracting so that their attention and overall play suffered.
Pushing yourself to like something when it doesn’t feel right is an exercise in frustration.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be interested to know how Cynergy compares to Jacoby Black. The latter is my preferred CF shaft atm so any information is gratefully received. Don't like the "ding" sound of the Revo, not my cuppa tea.

I played with a lot of shafts at SBE, the CF shaft that actually felt like CF shaft outside of the Revo was the one from Mezz, it felt almost like a Revo, the Jacoby was second. Cuetec and Meucci ones felt more like normal maple LD shafts. Meucci was my least favorite. If someone wants a CF shaft that actually is different from a maple shaft, then Predator, Mezz or Jacoby wold be the ones. Of course in my thinking, if you want a shaft with the hit and play-ability of a maple LD shaft why spend double the price on a CF shaft that just copies the hit of a maple shaft. I like my CF shafts to actually have some difference.

My son bought a Cuetec, we both tried it for a bit, then he traded it for a Revo and even got another $50 on top of it. Even after going through all the shafts on several different cues, the Revo and the Mezz were the top two as far as being different from any other maple LD shaft.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was talking to a local mechanic and billards supply owner about these shafts.
What i got out of the conversation is that all the manufactures of pool cues are getting these shafts from 3 different suppliers. Ok, good ,and very good quality are the difference amoung the 3 suppliers making the blanks.
Then our big name cue makers buying them putting there logo on them setting there price.
According to meachnic cue tech will control the market because this year drop there price $299.
Force higher price cue makers out of the market these type of shafts.
He said the same thing happen when muli piece ld shafts came out.
Predator and lucasi. Same thing different logo.

I have only played with the revo not the cue tech.
It was ok. Not for me.

Just my 2 cents.
Mechanic could have been full of it. Just curious if any one else herd this.
Predator makes their REVO in a small facility outside Boston. The only shafts made there are REVOS. Lucasi cues are made in same Chinese factory as Predators, Universal, ADAM and others. The wood shafts are made there but not the cf.

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cynergy

I tried the Jacoby and really liked the way it hit but I did not like the diameter. It just did not fit my fingers well.

I have shot with the Revo, and the most notable issue was the sound. The thing just sounds odd. It hits good but I just cannot get used to the sound. The other issue was no ferrule. Really messed with my aim.

I bought a Cynergy on a whim and love it. I now own 2 of them in different joint configurations. The diameter is about as skinny as I want to go, the white sighting ferrule is nice, I like the taper and the sound is the best out of all the ones I have played with.

I had used old growth Schon shafts (30 year old stitch ring shafts) up until a few years ago. I then moved to the Jacoby Hybrids for a few years and the switch and move to the Cuetec was not that hard.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Of course in my thinking, if you want a shaft with the hit and play-ability of a maple LD shaft why spend double the price on a CF shaft that just copies the hit of a maple shaft. I like my CF shafts to actually have some difference.

I can think of several reasons why I might spend double the price on a CF shaft as opposed to maple (not that I have or are going to).

First off....the shaft is literally going to last your lifetime and probably some of your grandkid's lifetimes (if indeed you have grandkids).

Secondly....if you're the kind of player that likes to carry/keep your case in your car 365 days of the year, CF certainly makes sense.

Thirdly....if you've ever had some oaf knock your cue over, or have ever hit an overhead light, or (Lord help us) ever raised your cue into a running ceiling fan, it's FAR more indestructible than a wood shaft.

Fourthly (is that even a word?)….the shaft will never need to be refinished.

I don't own one, probably never will, but if someone is just getting started in the process of buying a new cue or aftermarket shafts, a CF shaft makes all the sense in the world, especially if that person already likes the way a maple shaft feels.

To each their own....it's all subjective. But, there ARE reasons.

Maniac

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you think you pocket balls with the REVO better is because you have used it for a year
And subconsciously have adapted to its deflection?