online protest page

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did any of you guys have an online protest page pop up when you started to load AZbilliards? It does for me and its the only page that it does it for.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yep - I couldn't get around it and googled a solution. I had to disable javascript and was able to access AZ.

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I googled something that was in the fourm and clicked the link and it let me in here but i cant access the main page

cleary

Honestly, I'm a liar.
Silver Member
This is a great movement. We should ALL follow fill out the form that the sopastrike site has on their page. I'm glad az is part of it. This is the largest protest in history.

Web censorship could get ugly for anyone that uses things like youtube, facebook, or even azbilliards. The United States wants websites to be responsonable for what their uses put on their site. So lets say you post a video of you playing pool and that video has music in the background.... BAM! Not only can AZBilliards get sued for allowing you to post that, but YOU can be jailed up to 5 years for copyright infringement. We should all stand and fight for the internet... something that we all use and love (except road players).

Holly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
SOPA and PIPA

The screen is in support of the internet blackout and letter campaign to the US Congress is to fight SOPA and PIPA.

While these bills (SOPA in the House and PIPA in the Senate) technically has nothing to directly do with pool, it has a lot to do with the internet which as we know in this world effects almost everything.

While I'm all for trying to protect Intellectual Property Rights, is it right to try to protect those rights worldwide in manner that strips other rights?

Please I encourage folks to not overlook the protest page, but to read about SOPA and PIPA which will be voted on in Congress on the 24th. and sign the petition.

This is the internet version of the recent updated 2012 NDAA bill (specifically the added Indefinate Detention Clauses) that passed recently preventing people from due process should the US arbitrarily decide to detain someone (without shown just cause or any rights to a hearing or even knowing what they are being detained for) if someone in the government decides that the person is a threat to the nation.

Both situations are threats to the US Bill of Rights and Constitution.

ABOUT SOPA / PIPA: http://gizmodo.com/5877000/what-is-sopa

ABOUT 2012 NDAA: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-national-defense-authorization-act-now-what/

It is rare that I voice such thoughts and opinions on a pool / billiard forum, but there is relevancy in this thread. There are real dangers taking place to what the US was founded on and it has nothing to do with political parties, both are equally self absorbed. It has nothing to do with where you are from. When democracy is in danger, it effects everyone.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
The screen is in support of the internet blackout and letter campaign to the US Congress is to fight SOPA and PIPA.

While these bills (SOPA in the House and PIPA in the Senate) technically has nothing to directly do with pool, it has a lot to do with the internet which as we know in this world effects almost everything.

While I'm all for trying to protect Intellectual Property Rights, is it right to try to protect those rights worldwide in manner that strips other rights?

Please I encourage folks to not overlook the protest page, but to read about SOPA and PIPA which will be voted on in Congress on the 24th. and sign the petition.

This is the internet version of the recent updated 2012 NDAA bill (specifically the added Indefinate Detention Clauses) that passed recently preventing people from due process should the US arbitrarily decide to detain someone (without shown just cause or any rights to a hearing or even knowing what they are being detained for) if someone in the government decides that the person is a threat to the nation.

Both situations are threats to the US Bill of Rights and Constitution.

ABOUT SOPA / PIPA: http://gizmodo.com/5877000/what-is-sopa

ABOUT 2012 NDAA: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...-national-defense-authorization-act-now-what/

It is rare that I voice such thoughts and opinions on a pool / billiard forum, but there is relevancy in this thread. There are real dangers taking place to what the US was founded on and it has nothing to do with political parties, both are equally self absorbed. It has nothing to do with where you are from. When democracy is in danger, it effects everyone.

Holly:

These are very wise words (bolded above). I'm also all for Intellectual Property Rights, and although the "spirit" of what both SOPA and PIPA were written for is admirable, they are both written f-a-r too fast and loose.

Take it from a guy who architects and implements Internet presences, and who'd had a hand in the fledgling Internet way back in the early 1990s. Both SOPA and PIPA propose real danger to not only the free nature of the Internet, but also to its architecture -- enabling the US to essentially fracture itself from the Internet, breaking core technologies such as the Domain Name/Naming System (DNS), and inherently INCREASING the security risk for folks using the Internet by breaking those core technologies. I won't go into propeller-head details here, but the Wiki links provided above should give enough of a layman's understanding of what is being proposed, that the ordinary reader here should understand why these two bills must *NOT* be passed. In addition, these links should prove helpful to those needing a quick ramp-up on what these two bills are about, and what harm they have "built in":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Learn_more
https://eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/h...white-house-principles-supporting-free-speech

-Sean

Holly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Holly:

These are very wise words (bolded above). I'm also all for Intellectual Property Rights, and although the "spirit" of what both SOPA and PIPA were written for is admirable, they are both written f-a-r too fast and loose.

Take it from a guy who architects and implements Internet presences, and who'd had a hand in the fledgling Internet way back in the early 1990s. Both SOPA and PIPA propose real danger to not only the free nature of the Internet, but also to its architecture -- enabling the US to essentially fracture itself from the Internet, breaking core technologies such as the Domain Name/Naming System (DNS), and inherently INCREASING the security risk for folks using the Internet by breaking those core technologies. I won't go into propeller-head details here, but the Wiki links provided above should give enough of a layman's understanding of what is being proposed, that the ordinary reader here should understand why these two bills must *NOT* be passed. In addition, these links should prove helpful to those needing a quick ramp-up on what these two bills are about, and what harm they have "built in":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:SOPA_initiative/Learn_more
https://eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/h...white-house-principles-supporting-free-speech

-Sean

Thanks Sean for your additional insight from your knowledge and experience. I am not a network person but understand enough of what you said to really want to STRESS again...please folks get involved, don't let this Trojan Horse get through congress.

On a side note, I am deeply saddened and have been for a decade on the abuse of power that has progressed in DC.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Can't we just have Al Gore, the inventor and designer of the internet, fix it?

BTW, yes, I too got the http://sopastrike.com/strike redirect.

My question is did AZ ownership/management sign on for this strike or was the AZ main page hijacked by the well intentioned sopastrike folks.

It would seem to me that if Mike and Jerry signed on to this, they certainly would have given us some notice to expect the difficulty signing on.

I'll bet there are some members right now unable to figure out how to access az.

So, while maybe it being a very good cause, if they took down sites like az without their consent, I do not approve.

Best,
Brian kc

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just called all the representatives listed for my area and the people I spoke with sounded like they are taking the calls seriously. I really hope for the sake of our freedom of speech and expression on the internet that they are being genuine about opposing these bills. Fingers crossed....Hopefully, we'll see after the vote that our efforts and their view of the constitution are in line.

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can't we just have Al Gore, the inventor and designer of the internet, fix it?

BTW, yes, I too got the http://sopastrike.com/strike redirect.

My question is did AZ ownership/management sign on for this strike or was the AZ main page hijacked by the well intentioned sopastrike folks.

It would seem to me that if Mike and Jerry signed on to this, they certainly would have given us some notice to expect the difficulty signing on.

I'll bet there are some members right now unable to figure out how to access az.

So, while maybe it being a very good cause, if they took down sites like az without their consent, I do not approve.

Best,
Brian kc

Brian:

This is a VERY GOOD point as well! All of the SOPA-/PIPA-strike collectives announced -- well in advance -- that the strike was going to happen and when.

However, many of the "tag along" (i.e. those that "jumped onto the cart as it was wheeled by") did NOT announce their blackouts.

If the main AZB page was a last-minute cart-jumper without advance notice, I disapprove as well. I certainly don't remember seeing any notices by the AZB mods/maintainers in the days before it happened (including as recently as even yesterday).

Question to Mike H., Jerry F.: why was the main AZB page a last-minute cart-jumper?

-Sean

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AZBilliards Homepage

The Homepage is ok this side of the pond.Well ,so far so good.:thumbup:

azhousepro

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
No, we were not hacked. The decision to post the "strike" page was made kind of late into the game. Was planning on posting something on twitter today saying that we knew about the "strike" page. Just hadn't done so yet.

Sorry if the page took people by surprise today.

Mike

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
If SOPA passes and government does decide to throw AZB under the bus for whatever reason, there won't be any warning, and there won't be any way around it. I, for one, applaud those sites that didn't give a warning. It's a truer "fire drill" so to speak. I've blacked out all of my sites today too.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
Also, anyone that is a streamer or video recorder should be seriously concerned about this. The way it's stated, it's possible for their videos/site to be blocked or blacklisted because of background music in their videos/stream. (essentially claiming copyright violation for the distribution of the music without a license)