Best 5 one hole player *ever*

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
I know this has been done here before but I did a search for "best five one pocket players ever" and this is what I got:

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: best, one, ever

Sooooooooooo... as an addendum to the "best five right now" I thought I would see what others think. As ever with these questions, it's ALWAYS "up for discussion".

Ronnie Allen
Grady Mathews
Mike Carella
Efren Reyes
Luther Lassiter

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Eddie Taylor told me the best one-pocket player he'd ever seen was Rags Fitzpatrick, and he saw guys like Clem Metz and Ronnie Allen, so my list starts there.

Rags Fitzpatrick
Efren Reyes
Ronnie Allen
Clem Metz
Alex Pagulayan

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only one player on that list could have won 6 DCC One Pocket championships.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
On a 5x10 snooker table.....Cornbread Red....Marvin Henderson a close second.

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eddie Taylor told me the best one-pocket player he'd ever seen was Rags Fitzpatrick, and he saw guys like Clem Metz and Ronnie Allen, so my list starts there.

Rags Fitzpatrick
Efren Reyes
Ronnie Allen
Clem Metz
Alex Pagulayan
Lol. You left off Eddie ! He and Rags played even 1 hole and even bank pool.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Lol. You left off Eddie ! He and Rags played even 1 hole and even bank pool.

Yes, Eddie was too humble to mention himself in the conversation, but he thought Rags a better one hole player than himself. Eddie, of course, was the favorite at banks.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I know this has been done here before but I did a search for "best five one pocket players ever" and this is what I got:

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: best, one, ever

Sooooooooooo... as an addendum to the "best five right now" I thought I would see what others think. As ever with these questions, it's ALWAYS "up for discussion".

Ronnie Allen
Grady Mathews
Mike Carella
Efren Reyes
Luther Lassiter
Grady is an old friend....but it’s gotta be said...Bugs Rucker ruined him at one hole.

...and I think this has to be said....these things should be looked by era...
...the best players play today....they’re standing on the shoulders of giants....
...Ronnie Allen at a one pocket tournament years ago said...”You see the shot that kid played?
...took me ten years to learn it....’cause Ronnie had to be the pioneer.”
...that knowledge was readily available to the kid...

So I think judging the greatest should be a matter of how tall a player stood over his
contemporaries....and Ronnie is certainly comparable to Efren in that light.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
Grady is an old friend....but it’s gotta be said...Bugs Rucker ruined him at one hole.

...the best players play today....they’re standing on the shoulders of giants....
...Ronnie Allen at a one pocket tournament years ago said...”You see the shot that kid played?

So I think judging the greatest should be a matter of how tall a player stood over his

I couldn't agree more, PT... and I wish I had been able to see Ronnie Allen play. And there is SO little of him on video. But man... watching what little is out there, I just say to myself, wow... he played 1 hole like most people play 9 ball. He was mesmerizing. Wish I could've seen him play.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...,

Efren
Cliff (Dont forget nobody but Efren beat him even for many, many years)
Bugs
Ronnie
Alex

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

thanks for clarifying how you reason. i usually dismiss you all as nostalgics, because when i watch old 9-ball and 1p i'm usually not that impressed tbh. (old straight pool is a different matter.) this reasoning makes a lot more sense - the old legends unlocked the doors the new players have walked through.

it's still my opinion though that the best 1p (and 9-ball) is being played now.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grady Mathews (in his prime)
Ronnie Allen (in his prime)
Cliff Joyner (in his prime)
Efren Reyes (in his prime)
Alex Pagulayan (in his prime)

Special Mention: Michael "Geese" Gerace

Last edited:

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw quite a few, admittedly some past their prime, but Efren was the only one who made me wish I had a DVR in my head. Until TRex--but Efren is still at the top of my list.

fan-tum

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not even close...there's no 2nd...only many ties for 3rd. E....F....R....E....N
(although Chohan at his 'frequent' peak blows my mind more so than anyone)

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Could you elaborate what you mean by ruined Grady at one hole?

Grady sure was fun to watch.