• Good

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Foul

Votes: 14 22.6%

• Total voters

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The 11 just fell in from vibration....however since it was to close to call... so good hit goes to the shooter. Look to see when the 11 starts to rotate.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think about how the cue ball would have to move to carom from the 13 to the 11. If it moved back to the 11 after the hit on the 13, it's never going to go up the table.

This is the correct answer. In order to make this kind of call properly, you can't rely on "seeing" the contact, you must understand the cue ball's reaction. The rule here is to observe the tangent line of the secondary contact. If the cue ball hit the 13 (12?) first and then the 11, the cue ball would have gone towards the rail instead of the center of the table. The physics reveal this was a good hit.

In all fairness, the referee would have only had one chance to make this call, and at real-life speed. I don't know where the referee was standing, but the position of the camera angle is not where a properly trained referee would stand to make this call. He would stand on the "line of centers", which is perpendicular to the line that intersects the two object balls.

In a close situation like this, a referee must be able to definitively prove this was a foul. If you can't do that, then you must give the benefit of the doubt to the shooter and call a good hit.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
In order to make this kind of call properly, you can't rely on "seeing" the contact
It can actually be seen in the video (frame by frame) that the 11 moves a frame or so before the 13 does - hard to see but definitely there.

As you and Bob say, the CB carom also shows that, and that's what a knowledgeable ref would rely on.

pj
chgo

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Pay attention to the direction of the cue ball...it hits the rail and makes 2 direction changes after that. Clearly a good hit.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Thanks for the reponses, appreciate it. Like most, i thought it was a good shot too. It is very simple - if it hit the 12 first then the 11 shouldnt move at all.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
It can actually be seen in the video (frame by frame) that the 11 moves a frame or so before the 13 does - hard to see but definitely there.

As you and Bob say, the CB carom also shows that, and that's what a knowledgeable ref would rely on.

pj
chgo

I agree about the 11 moving first but without an overhead view I can't say the 11 moved because the cue ball grazed it. And if it moved because the cue jarred the cushion or the whole table, then it seems to me it would be a foul for hitting the 12 first...only hitting the 12 means it hit it first.

I have no idea what the rule is for a ball just falling in.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I have no idea what the rule is for a ball just falling in.
If the dropping in has an effect on the shot, the ball is reset and the shot is replayed. In this case it would be really hard to say whether it had an effect or not -- maybe if the ball hadn't settled into the pocket it would have been hit.

The action was consistent with the correct ball being just grazed by the cue ball after the cushion. I think it is not possible to see whether it was actually struck or just fell in on its own. In that situation, the ref should not call a foul.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...if it moved because the cue jarred the cushion or the whole table
I've never seen this happen, even with a very hard hit CB.

I have no idea what the rule is for a ball just falling in.
If it was sitting there for at least 5 seconds before it fell, then it's returned to its position on the table.

pj
chgo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

If it was sitting there for at least 5 seconds before it fell, then it's returned to its position on the table.

pj
chgo

I’ve seen that in person at the Rack....guy drawing off a hanging 7-ball ...whitey hit the
back of the pocket ‘cause the 7 dropped before whitey got to it.

I would’ve called good hit on the 11, BTW...shooter gets the benefit of the doubt.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo
So in this particular situation if the ruling is that the 11 dropped by vibration and did not have an effect on the shot, it needs to be placed on the brink for the next player and not spotted on the foot spot.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was the referee the same guy who kicked Sleinen's team out of the APA championship?

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

I should have been clearer - I meant you can't rely on seeing it in real time. I agree you can see it in the video, only just barely - I think a true slow motion frame rate (60 or 120FPS) would show it more clearly.