Real Joss West? Tell me what you think.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I listed this in the Cuemakers section but didn't get many comments. Please take a good look at this cue, do you think it is a Joss West. The logo is on the bottom of the butt cap and is upside down. The butt cap is not put on upside down as it is tapered with the large end down. It has Sigel, Strictland, and Varner signed on one of the shafts. If this is a real JW cue, what would be the fair market value. Thanks for your help. Tom

Attachments

• 100_0695.jpg
    100_0695.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,139
  • 100_0698.jpg
    100_0698.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,124
  • 100_0702.jpg
    100_0702.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,146
  • 100_1461.jpg
    100_1461.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,141
  • 100_1460.jpg
    100_1460.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,135

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
I listed this in the Cuemakers section but didn't get many comments. Please take a good look at this cue, do you think it is a Joss West. The logo is on the bottom of the butt cap and is upside down. The butt cap is not put on upside down as it is tapered with the large end down. It has Sigel, Strictland, and Varner signed on one of the shafts. If this is a real JW cue, what would be the fair market value. Thanks for your help. Tom

I don't think you have a winner here, everything from the signature to the points says no to me. I think the cue is an import that was made in the 1990's, this is when they really started using designs made famous by US Cue Makers.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Stroud would have never placed his Josswest or Joss West logo upside down.....I believe manwon got it right in his post.......the cue isn't genuine.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't own the cue, just thinking about buying it, but did not like the butt cap logo. I don't know much about Joss West cues, that is why I am looking for some help. Thanks to everyone for their insight.
Tom

PDX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would wager if you took off the bumper and took out the weight bolt, that the buttcap would come off too, just a gut feeling. It looks as though rightside up it would look correct. With one of the shafts having matching ringwork and a yellow micarta ferrule, I think it may be an old JW.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would wager if you took off the bumper and took out the weight bolt, that the buttcap would come off too, just a gut feeling. It looks as though rightside up it would look correct. With one of the shafts having matching ringwork and a yellow micarta ferrule, I think it may be an old JW.

I agree with this. I bet the buttcap got removed and re-installed backwards. Only the shaft with the yellow micarta ferrule could be original. I know JW made cues in this exact style with 4 points and no veneers but the one's I've seen had white with black spec wraps. Could have been re-wrapped at some point. The joint looks correct to me. My advice is to hit some balls with it, and if you like the cue just buy it. It's not too expensive a cue wether it is a JW or not.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
Looks like a 1970's JW to me too. Refinished, re-wrapped.

I can't explain the upside down buttcap mystery but even that looks authentic to me.

(It would take some machining to flip a buttcap like that)

Last edited:

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the comments, I don't think the butt cap can be flipped because it is bigger at the bottom and also rounded. But it just might be one. Tom

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Don't think Bill comes on here anymore, does anyone know his email address, I would love to send him the photos of the cue, if it is a JW I will get it refinished or sell it. Tom

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
i bet its a real JW it my have had work done to it but its got too good of wood to be a cheap copy. and those cues sold for only about two hundred bucks or less and not likely that model would be copied anyway.

possible someone put a new butt cap on and tried to include the JW. or maybe one bill made a mistake on.

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Makes a lot of sense not copying a $200 cue. I did send Bill a pm on onepocket.org, I sure hope he gets back to me. Thanks again for all the good info. Tom

Kjc

Joss west

Hi my name is ken and I owned cue you have. I bought in San Francisco at palace pool hall in 1980 and had butt plate replaced at whitehead & Zimmerman in San Fran. I still have original butt plate(cracked)). I got the 3 pros to sign extra shaft at bca trade show in Nashville , tn around 1987, none of them new the the others had signed. I am positive this is a real joss west. Kjc

poolandpokerman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Ken for the info, I guess the big question is where and who from did the people that installed the butt cap get it from, it is the only one like that I have ever seen. It is not like any of the other Joss West cues. Do you remember the story behind it. Tom

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi my name is ken and I owned cue you have. I bought in San Francisco at palace pool hall in 1980 and had butt plate replaced at whitehead & Zimmerman in San Fran. I still have original butt plate(cracked)). I got the 3 pros to sign extra shaft at bca trade show in Nashville , tn around 1987, none of them new the the others had signed. I am positive this is a real joss west. Kjc

The answer to the mystery. Nice cue.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This makes perfect sense, although Whitehead & Zimmerman did a very poor job trying to replicate Stroud's "flying J" logo. Ken...you should have just sent it back to Bill to have the butt cap replaced. The cue would then have pretty good collectible value. As is, not so much...although I doubt that you care about selling it.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

cornerstone

Psalm 91:15
Silver Member
Try putting another 5/16-14 shaft on it and see if it screws on , the acme thread had a fatter thread and other shafts will not screw on the butt but the shafts will screw on other cues!