Can Pro players get jobs and still compete?

PETROBOY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many pro players have jobs and still compete at a high level? Do you guys think players can work and play? I wish players didnt have to but with these tough times there isnt enough money in the game right now.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
If so, they'd probably need a self-employment type business. Otherwise, what employer is going to give them 5-10 weeks off (even without pay that's just an unreliable employee)?

It seems like a major tournament takes at least a week including travel time.

dawgcpa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Working

In one of the recent TAR matches, Mike Dechaine said he works 40 hours per week for the APA league wherever. He said they do let him off for tournaments.

He continues to play at a pretty high level....

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only one that comes to mind that ever did such,,would be Irving Crane,,sold Cadilac's for a living--and won major tourny's in five consecutive decades. Or was that six decades?

SLIM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The MIZ went to college & was a teacher for a portion of his pool career.

SLIM

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see no reason not to. Many of the lower level UFC fighters maintain full time jobs, and they're fighting for the largest organization in their sport. Fact is, pro pool in America doesn't pay well unless you're a consistent top 3 finisher.

A smart employer would also use having a pro player to their advantage. Use him to draw in customers.

MahnaMahna

Beefcake. BEEFCAKE!!
Silver Member
Yes it is absolutely possible for a pro pool player to compete and work full time.

However, I think it would take a certain type of person with a strong work ethic, drive, and professionalism to be successful at both.

Do most pros fit the bill? Hell no.

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many pro players have jobs and still compete at a high level? Do you guys think players can work and play? I wish players didnt have to but with these tough times there isnt enough money in the game right now.
Of course they can. It would also depend on the job, you would not want to be laying bricks and try to play pool. You also need a job that is flexible enough to be able to attend tournaments. In another respect it gives the player a sort of security that may even help them play. It is nice when you are not always playing for the rent and have few bucks in your pocket.

You know there was a time when other sports didn't make that much money either. Yogi Berra worked at a bowling alley off season at the same time when he was on a winning world series team..
Miz worked pretty much full time his whole life be it as a teacher, pool room owner and later marketer in his own business interests. If you have to work you will have to maybe be more selective in the tournaments you can attend but I think the bottom line is, you can play at a top level and also have a job or business interests at the same time. Ask Nick Varner, or Hopkins.

Last edited:

Joe T

I'm going to follow you over here Petro because again the American Rotation Championship Series is another good solution for these problems, in this case the working or family man.

We designed the format so high level players compete locally by playing 7 matches in 7 weeks time, 4 of every 8 players qualify for a region playoff where they try to win spots in our national events. If they win the spot, they're guaranteed $1k and whats relevent here is we schedule our events to be two day Sat & Sunday events. That way if they do have a job, business, school or family obligations it makes it easier to take minimum time away.

If any of you know a high level player that has to put a sensible lifestyle head of their passion for pool please refer them to the American Rotation Championship Series or me. It just takes 8 players at 1 club and we can help them save time and money when it comes to competing nationally.

If more of us stop crying and take a little action we can take a nice positive step forward.

Mr. Bond

Orbis Non Sufficit
Gold Member
Silver Member
Willie Hoppe had a goat farm and ruled the billiard world for several decades.
And Mary Kay is always hiring, so yeah, it can be done.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I would imagine they have to. But I also would imagine that it has to be the sort of thing that is pretty flexible. Too bad it's not an Olympic event, then they could all get jobs at Home Depot

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not if your LAZY!!!

It doesn't take much to substitute teach, its part time and you can take off as needed. Walmart 5hrs a night 6/7 days a week scheduled off for tournaments?

What about the large sporting goods chains, if its presented correctly there is a possibility that corporate might work with a Pro Level Player.

First things First.., you have to want to work! You have to HATE being broke and you cant be Lazy!

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
First things First.., you have to want to work! You have to HATE being broke and you cant be Lazy!

Good points. And you have to be confident enough in your game that 2-3 hours of practice per day will keep you in form.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess it depends on how you define a pro. Many players have pro status but don't play in many events. I think to be an active pro even playing in one tourney a month would be tough. You would have to have a very special employer. For some, sponsorship could be an issue. Some may have other responsibilities other than tournaments. I would imagine there are many opportunities such as instructor, exhibitions, working in a pool hall that could bring in extra money.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given the right set of circumstances, I believe a pro player today could hold a job and compete. Could they consistently place in the top 3 to 5 at major tournaments? That may be tougher.

The other question that may be of greater importance over time is, could someone hold a full time job, take up pool and become skilled enough to compete at the pro level. It's one thing to have reached the level and then playing/practicing enough to maintain your competitive skill level. It's another thing altogether to work 8 hours per day and also practice 6 to 10 hours per day over a long period of time.

dudlock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a tough situation. Older heads like me and SJD can remember when pro baseball and pro football players needed to get work in the off seasons, like construction, bartender, plumber-electrician helper etc. Big name top players, maybe not. But base salary did. But they sure don't have to work in fast food. That would not be a good set up imo...

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just out of curiosity, how many people on this forum are pro players and have a full-time job? Would love to hear all about it -- FROM THE SOURCE, not hearsay.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say there are many people on Az it seems that love to pull the
Pro Players down. It seems they feel that if they can pull the players down
enough then they think they can feel equal to them. It's sad people feel the
need to do this. (Petty Jealousy)

Not saying this is the OP intent just saying that's all.

Last edited: