Robin Dreyer review

bad_hit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been taking lessons from Robin for about 9 months now. Outstanding instructor. If you live in Portland, Oregon area, or want to travel in - you want to get a lesson from this guy. Recommend him for beginner through very advanced. I'm a decent player (APA lower 7/9 level) but I know some of his students and some are very high level as well as very low level. He can help you at any level.

First off, he understands the game with an unbelievable clarity. I've been playing 10 years and have read lots of books and watched videos and really studied the game, and I'm a pretty intelligent guy...the first thing I noticed was how this man knows 100x more than me, at least. The game just makes sense to his brain.

Secondly, he will see where your problem areas are right away. He will target exactly where you need help to make you better.

Thirdly, he's patient as hell but will push you when you need to be pushed. It's a rare combination and it's quite effective

Fourth, and this is really least important to me but might be important to some - the man can play. He's an older guy but can execute any shot. In his day he was clearly a very strong player. This is good because he can show you how to do things and not just explain it.

Fifth, he's invented all kinds of really useful drills, games, and systems that you won't find anywhere else.

Highly recommend, I really think this guy's a pool genius and I'm glad he's in my area. I don't think he travels much.

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've been taking lessons from Robin for about 9 months now. Outstanding instructor. If you live in Portland, Oregon area, or want to travel in - you want to get a lesson from this guy. Recommend him for beginner through very advanced. I'm a decent player (APA lower 7/9 level) but I know some of his students and some are very high level as well as very low level. He can help you at any level.

------------------------------------------

I completely agree with your opinion about Robin. Our good luck to have an instructor of this magnitude in this area. I travel up to Portland from Salem at least twice a month for four hour lessons. Now... if we just had a great table mechanic!

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member

In his day he was clearly a very strong player. This is good because he can show you how to do things and not just explain it..

Just wanted to restart this thread about Robin Dreyer in Portland, Oregon. It's hard to get him to "blow his own horn" so to speak so I want to write a few things about him. If anybody remembers the PAT tests? He scored number 2 in the Country on PAT test # 3 (sick with food poisoning and using a crooked house cue). His pool life has taken the whole deal from child prodigy to tournament player to hustler and now for the last 20 years, full time pool teacher. He has both 9' and 7' tables at his house. He has written software for his own stat collection programs on aiming, playing, safety play, etc. etc. He has years and years worth of work on his own proprietary kicking, 3-5,2-4 rail shots and modifications to them that will all come out in his book someday but his students have access to it now. He has produced his own training materials for hand out, drills, patterns, etc. He doesn't post on AZ and it's tough to get known in the pool world so hope I can help.
Any tournament professionals out there who would like to know how to go to a strange table and dial in the break in ten minutes for 8, 9, 10, 14:1 ball? Robin teaches this and it will make your head spin. PM me if you have any inkling that you'd like to try a fantastic pool instructor. I guarantee you won't be sorry and promise you'll figure out a way to make Portland, Oregon a regular stop. What's your game worth? www.robindreyer.com

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues

First off, he understands the game with an unbelievable clarity. I've been playing 10 years and have read lots of books and watched videos and really studied the game, and I'm a pretty intelligent guy...the first thing I noticed was how this man knows 100x more than me, at least. The game just makes sense to his brain.

Secondly, he will see where your problem areas are right away. He will target exactly where you need help to make you better.

Thirdly, he's patient as hell but will push you when you need to be pushed. It's a rare combination and it's quite effective

Fourth, and this is really least important to me but might be important to some - the man can play. He's an older guy but can execute any shot. In his day he was clearly a very strong player. This is good because he can show you how to do things and not just explain it.

Fifth, he's invented all kinds of really useful drills, games, and systems that you won't find anywhere else.

Highly recommend, I really think this guy's a pool genius and I'm glad he's in my area. I don't think he travels much.

Spent this weekend with Robin. He's not my first instructor. This ^^^^ is the gospel.

JC