Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page The elusive Balabushka gold glitter wedding band ribbon rings
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#16)
Albatross Cues
AzB Silver Member
Albatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

02-20-2015, 10:20 AM

Correct me if I am wrong on this one, but I have some ideas you may not have tried as of yet.

George used only full splice blanks?

If so then the only way to get the ring patten before the wrap would be with the use of a knurling tool.

The lure makers use a lot of different resins, epoxies that can be colored. They have been doing it for years, goes back a long way. If the spot for the ring was cut out/recessed and filled in with one color of epoxy/resin that had the upper color in it and let dry.

Sand down to size, and use a thin, straight knurling tool on the epoxy area. This would leave the top color on the cue with the knurling deeper.

Then just fill the knurling slots with the second color and sand down to size. This would not be that hard and the rings could be made out of any color.

I don't have access to my lathes at this time, if I did I could make a video of what I am trying to discuss here. But I think this would be very easy to do with the right knurling tool.

Let me know what you think.

Aloha

Old
  (#17)
Albatross Cues
AzB Silver Member
Albatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond reputeAlbatross Cues has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2015, 10:25 AM

I guess the rings could also be made off the cue and split, allowing them to be put on above the wrap. The knurling could also be used to hide the gap/ glue line in the ring.

I have access to all sorts of different resins, colors over here. There are a lot of people that make there own lures.

Would have to run some tests on some house cues to see if this works.

Aloha

w.b. bands
Old
  (#18)
rhinobywilhite
AzB Silver Member
rhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond repute

w.b. bands - 02-20-2015, 10:28 AM

Josh, I was referring to the width of the band along the cue length.

There is a recurring pattern of 4 diagonal lines that cut across the black vertical lines

Old
  (#19)
classiccues
Enlightened.....
classiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-20-2015, 11:42 AM

George used short and full splice blanks. I have yet to see an x-ray of a full splice with an a-joint trim ring. If there is a ring above the wrap, it has always been in a shortie.

JV

www.classiccues.com
Large Cue listing and cases are coming

Updated 6/21/19 A LOT CUES... all NEW

Premium Custom Cues for Sale and Vintage Billiard and Pool Exchange on Facebook....

Please do not ask me "What is my best price?".. We both know after I give you that number you're going to lowball me anyways.. just make your offer so we can both move on.. Thanks...

Old
  (#20)
Albatross Cues
AzB Silver Member

02-20-2015, 12:15 PM

From the close up pictures of the red and green ring. It looks like there is a split in the ring on the one picture. There rings could have been made in a billet, then split to install them.

If someone has a peice of pearlescent rod and a knurling tool, they might be able to test the making of these rings pretty quick.

Aloha

Old
  (#21)
LGSM3
Jake<built cues for fun
LGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2015, 12:19 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the material doesn't and never did exist in the form in which it appears on the cue. The diagonal crossed lines are indicative of what was possibly a woven material that has been removed. Ironically removing that horizontal stranding would certainly help with not having to align a seam on the others side. Possibly a case of accidental/convenient cool design

Old
  (#22)
classiccues
Enlightened.....
classiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond reputeclassiccues has a reputation beyond repute

02-20-2015, 05:08 PM

This was more flexible sheet, not rod.

JV

www.classiccues.com
Large Cue listing and cases are coming

Updated 6/21/19 A LOT CUES... all NEW

Premium Custom Cues for Sale and Vintage Billiard and Pool Exchange on Facebook....

Please do not ask me "What is my best price?".. We both know after I give you that number you're going to lowball me anyways.. just make your offer so we can both move on.. Thanks...

?
Old
  (#23)
JoshStodola
My stroke is garbage
JoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond reputeJoshStodola has a reputation beyond repute

? - 01-19-2019, 02:14 PM

Anybody else?

Josh Stodola

Old
  (#24)
rhinobywilhite
AzB Silver Member
rhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond reputerhinobywilhite has a reputation beyond repute

01-19-2019, 06:36 PM

I am with you. who has a solution?

As an aside, I took a wooden dowel of the correct diameter and used a panto graph to cut .020 slots in it. I think I cut them .030 deep. I then used gold foil to cover the entire ring after it was parted from the dowel. I used a needle to press the foil into the slots.

It is not perfect but looks pretty decent. I think if the slots were dyed with a magic marker, then the foil installed. it would be much easier to see where you need to add a little more foil. The gold on maple can be seen but if the area was black, it would be easier to spot voids.

I also tried a knurling tool on brass but was not happy with the results.

I contacted several ribbon companies and sent pictures of the bands to see if they had or could manufacture something similar. Problem there is they want a substantial order before proving prototype samples.

The color changing bands are still a big puzzle to everyone.

George is probably still laughing at all of us.

Old
  (#25)
skins
Likes to draw
skins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond repute

01-20-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccues View Post
George used short and full splice blanks. I have yet to see an x-ray of a full splice with an a-joint trim ring. If there is a ring above the wrap, it has always been in a shortie.

JV
At least one exsits. I think it was Pete that told me the story of a cue George made for someone that insisted the full splice cue to stay in tact but still have an indexed ring above the wrap. George built a two piece split ring where the seams were undetectable.

That said the glitter bands were obviously able to be used on full splice forearms.

Design is a fingerprint of the mind....

Old
  (#26)
flyvirginiaguy
Classic Cue Lover
flyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600
  Send a message via Yahoo to flyvirginiaguy  
06-06-2019, 08:44 AM

My vote would be for a colored metal foil wrapping of some kind.
The picture posted, to me, shows a straight edged joining seam. Where the red arrow is shown below.

"George was a genuine craftsman who excelled in the "state of the art" of making cues"
Gus Szamboti

Old
  (#27)
cubswin
Just call me Joe...
cubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond reputecubswin has a reputation beyond repute

06-06-2019, 02:47 PM

On higher end balsa fishing lures, they often foil baits. Usually making a scale pattern with the end of a socket wrench or other handy tool. Not really sure that is helpful, but something to consider that he took a foil material and added the pattern.

""It's even, but it ain't settled. Let's settle it." Fast Eddie

Old
  (#28)
bstroud
AzB Silver Member
bstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond repute

06-06-2019, 03:22 PM

I hate to blow up everyone’s bubble but when I last visited George he told me the rings were from candy wrappers the he got from the store just down the block from his house.

I think he was telling me the truth. That would explain the seam.

Bill Stroud

Old
  (#29)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

06-06-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
I hate to blow up everyone’s bubble but when I last visited George he told me the rings were from candy wrappers the he got from the store just down the block from his house.

I think he was telling me the truth. That would explain the seam.

Bill Stroud

Having seen a sample strip of this material, I can say that's impossible. It's a thicker material than foil. At least 2mm thick plastic

Make sure you check your references before you buy on this site. Even a mod here engages in bad business!

Old
  (#30)
skins
Likes to draw
skins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond repute

06-06-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideologist View Post
Having seen a sample strip of this material, I can say that's impossible. It's a thicker material than foil. At least 2mm thick plastic
I have pics of it as well and I think the only way it could have been from a thin candy wrapper is if it was then covered in flexible clear plastic then backed.

Many have searched for the answer and the closest I've heard was that someone who was in manufacturing at the time was shown the material and were pretty confident they knew the machinery it was manufactured with. Unfortunately they said those machines were decommissioned and scraped many years ago. I dont remember if they said they knew what the material was manufactured for though.

Design is a fingerprint of the mind....

Last edited by skins; 06-06-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: