Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Products Talk > Ask The Cuemaker
Reload this Page The elusive Balabushka gold glitter wedding band ribbon rings
Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#46)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-11-2019, 03:48 PM

I've heard many times the Grosgrain Ribbon theory. I tend to think not.

To put a lacquer finish over that fabric, the fabric would keep on sucking it up. I can't picture that being doable or practical. Maybe with a clear acrylic plastic surface over it, but I think that's not the answer, given photos of these.

I still tend to give more credibility to the foil wrappers, candy wrappers, crepe paper, something that could be layered and finished easily with a few coats.

Yes, still a mystery.

All the best,
WW

Old
  (#47)
flyvirginiaguy
Classic Cue Lover
flyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond reputeflyvirginiaguy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600
  Send a message via Yahoo to flyvirginiaguy  
06-12-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post

This stuff lgsm3?
A 2 second glance says that is not the correct stuff.

"George was a genuine craftsman who excelled in the "state of the art" of making cues"
Gus Szamboti

Old
  (#48)
LGSM3
Jake<built cues for fun
LGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond reputeLGSM3 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-12-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins View Post
Jake, So you're saying you think the material George used was made of cloth? That's what grosgrain is so... Have you seen the original material? There is no visible cloth thread. It's solid, like a foil of some sort, then covered in a layer of flexible plastic and cloth backed.
and or connected to cloth....when finished over, the majority of all the ribbons i've tried, the fibers tend to disappear against black surface and epoxy penetration.

the closest i've gotten to what looks real is ribbon with an edge treatment on it thats semi ridgid. Basically the metallic edge can be removed and the other portion of the ribbon discarded. I've not put it on a piece of wood and finished over it though.

Old
  (#49)
bstroud
AzB Silver Member
bstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond reputebstroud has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 11:57 AM

George shared many things with me when I was in Aspen.
Methods and materials.
The day his father died we talked for two hours.
I donít think he would have lied to me about anything.

The simple solution is most often the correct solution.

Bill Stroud

Old
  (#50)
skins
Likes to draw
skins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
Methods and materials.

Bill Stroud
Occams Razor eh...

Design is a fingerprint of the mind....

Old
  (#51)
PRED
AzB Silver Member
PRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond reputePRED has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 600

06-12-2019, 12:34 PM

The Elephant in the room:

That glitter ring is fugly.

IRATUS VULGUS

Old
  (#52)
skins
Likes to draw
skins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRED View Post
The Elephant in the room:

That glitter ring is fugly.
One mans fugly is another mans wife ..

Design is a fingerprint of the mind....

Old
  (#53)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute

06-12-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstroud View Post
Methods and materials.

Bill Stroud
A casual search does give some good info on candy wrappers. These are available today. They do show a good gold glitter. They don't tend to show the horizontal pattern on George's cues, but these still look like something that could have been used decades ago.

I don't see George going after fabric Grosgrain ribbons to do these. I just don't. I can't imagine putting finish on it that time. George, as far as I know, used spray lacquer, which would have been a bear to finish on Grosgrain. On a foil paper such as this, cemented together with several layers, or a backing, I can see that. Much easier to finish. Decades ago, the pattern may have been a bit different, but looks pretty similar, doesn't it...

I did give the opinion that glittery crepe paper may have been the material. I still think that may be possible, but I have a feeling Bill's memory on this beats the rest of us.

All the best,
WW
Attached Images

Page 4 of 4 « First 234

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: