Old shaft wood vs. New shaft wood
Old
  (#1)
SpotOn
AzB Bronze Member
SpotOn is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500

Old shaft wood vs. New shaft wood - 06-01-2019, 03:08 PM

I would like to here what the cue makers think about using OLD house cues cutting them in half and just saving the front half assuming the shaft is dead straight. Would that make a good shaft if reworked compared to New hard rock maple OR is the old wood maybe not as good as new wood. I figure since the wood is so old and straight it is very stable thus now worries about it warping. Also how would you know a good prospect from a not so good prospect assuming any one piece cue has usable wood?

Old
  (#2)
tsp&b
AzB Silver Member
tsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond reputetsp&b has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2019, 05:46 PM

Some old house cues can be used to make shafts. Some make very good hitting shafts. And many cue makers will use them to make conversions (sneaky pete) especially old burnswicks.

Todd

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
http://www.midamericapool.com

Shaft wood
Old
  (#3)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member
Mcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Shaft wood - 06-01-2019, 06:36 PM

Straightness, cleanness, direction of grain same as any other shaft wood except more than likely darker color.

Mario

The trouble with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Mcues3@aol.com

Old
  (#4)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

06-01-2019, 08:55 PM

Not worth the time imo.
First of all, those were turned to size really fast by factories .
I've never seen one that was straight.
They also have a steep taper.

New shaft in my shop takes 5 years before it gets out anyway.
I have hundreds at 13.25mm to 14mm now.
And the main thing is, I chose where their center holes are .

If you chop a house cue for shaft, you're like have no room to offset the piece to get to it's true center. At the factory, they just turn them from square to round then taper with no regard for grain orientation.

Old
  (#5)
ideologist
I don't never exaggerate
ideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond reputeideologist has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyInCali View Post
Not worth the time imo.
First of all, those were turned to size really fast by factories .
I've never seen one that was straight.
They also have a steep taper.

New shaft in my shop takes 5 years before it gets out anyway.
I have hundreds at 13.25mm to 14mm now.

If you chop a house cue for shaft, you're like have no room to offset the piece to get to it's true center. At the factory, they just turn them from square to round then taper with no regard for grain orientation.
The older Brunswick cues really nailed the grain orientation

Make sure you check your references before you buy on this site. Even a mod here engages in bad business!

Old
  (#6)
Sheldon
dontneednostinkintitle
Sheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2019, 05:27 PM

I've done quite a few of them. Almost all have turned out very nicely. They've almost all been out of pretty old Valley or Dufferin house cues. I've done a few that customers brought me that were really old, like 70 years.

Don't Waive Your Rights With Your Flags ~ Sage Francis

Old
  (#7)
Sheldon
dontneednostinkintitle
Sheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond reputeSheldon has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't that require really large squares or dowels? On a 1 inch dowel, you can probably only change the angle of the grain along the shaft a couple degrees.

Don't Waive Your Rights With Your Flags ~ Sage Francis

Old
  (#8)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Wouldn't that require really large squares or dowels? On a 1 inch dowel, you can probably only change the angle of the grain along the shaft a couple degrees.
I get mine at 1 1/16.
There's plenty to work with at 5/8 ends.
I don't bother with .950-.750 cones anymore.

At 5/8 ends, you can get rid of a lot of "bad guys".

Old
  (#9)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

06-04-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I get mine at 1 1/16.
There's plenty to work with at 5/8 ends.
I don't bother with .950-.750 cones anymore.

At 5/8 ends, you can get rid of a lot of "bad guys".
So you start cutting your taper in from the jump?

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Old
  (#10)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

06-04-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
So you start cutting your taper in from the jump?

JC
Yes.
If I cone to .750, I'd have less offset room.
Coning is a waste of time imo.
I know some people already doing the same thing and have not gone back to coning to .750.

Old
  (#11)
CuesDirectly
AzB Silver Member

CuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond repute

06-05-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Yes.
If I cone to .750, I'd have less offset room.
Coning is a waste of time imo.
I know some people already doing the same thing and have not gone back to coning to .750.
Agreed, coning is a waste of time.

If a shaft will be completed with a Pro taper, every turn will be like a Pro Taper. If a shaft will end up with a Conical taper, every turn will be in Conical form. (Going from square to round does not count.)

----------------------------------------------

David Brainard, custom Cuemaker
My website is CuesDirectly.com
Email, CuesDirectly@gmail.com
Facebook under both names
503 930-7776 5am -5pm West Coast time

Old
  (#12)
jazznpool
Superior Cues--Unchalked!
jazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond reputejazznpool has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 6900

06-05-2019, 08:04 PM

Funny but true story. In 2005 I placed a 6 cue order with a cuemaker and I went to his shop to look at his shaft blanks. His wood was from the "kind regards" Florida fellow who was then in Las Vegas. The shaftwood was horrible with runout, sugar streaks and brown. I was just learning about maple shaftwood then but I knew what straight grain and clear meant. The cuemaker agreed to provide an allowance for better shafts if I could find them.

I took a drive to our local Valley distributor and picked out about 18 Valley Supremes (Texas made) out of maybe 100 that were in a barrel. They were about $8 each. The shafts that were used were decent or better and stayed straight. I laugh now as I think about it. Hehe. For the next order, I called Pechauer cues and bought blanks a few turns from finish for $25 each. They were really nice. Hat's off to the Pechauer guys.

Old
  (#13)
ThinSlice
AzB Silver Member
ThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond repute

06-05-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznpool View Post
Funny but true story. In 2005 I placed a 6 cue order with a cuemaker and I went to his shop to look at his shaft blanks. His wood was from the "kind regards" Florida fellow who was then in Las Vegas. The shaftwood was horrible with runout, sugar streaks and brown. I was just learning about maple shaftwood then but I knew what straight grain and clear meant. The cuemaker agreed to provide an allowance for better shafts if I could find them.

I took a drive to our local Valley distributor and picked out about 18 Valley Supremes (Texas made) out of maybe 100 that were in a barrel. They were about $8 each. The shafts that were used were decent or better and stayed straight. I laugh now as I think about it. Hehe. For the next order, I called Pechauer cues and bought blanks a few turns from finish for $25 each. They were really nice. Hat's off to the Pechauer guys.

Best shafts are not always clear.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#14)
CuesDirectly
AzB Silver Member

CuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond reputeCuesDirectly has a reputation beyond repute

06-06-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinSlice View Post
Best shafts are not always clear.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Perhaps you could elaborate on that?

I have worked with wood in many ways, the word clear is a word that is standard thru out all industries that use wood.

From the logger, log truck driver, sawyer, grader, seller, engineer and end user, the word clear is a standardized word to all of these people.

Again, maybe the word means something different to you, enlighten us, Thanks.

----------------------------------------------

David Brainard, custom Cuemaker
My website is CuesDirectly.com
Email, CuesDirectly@gmail.com
Facebook under both names
503 930-7776 5am -5pm West Coast time

Old
  (#15)
JC
Needs Moderation

JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

06-06-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuesDirectly View Post
Perhaps you could elaborate on that?

I have worked with wood in many ways, the word clear is a word that is standard thru out all industries that use wood.

From the logger, log truck driver, sawyer, grader, seller, engineer and end user, the word clear is a standardized word to all of these people.

Again, maybe the word means something different to you, enlighten us, Thanks.
Maybe he means sugar? I've seen some awfully nice shafts with a sugar mark or two.

JC

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Page 1 of 3 1 23

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: