Reload this Page The old Viking "Super Joint"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
The old Viking "Super Joint"
Old
  (#1)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

The old Viking "Super Joint" - 06-24-2019, 12:05 PM

I'd like to know a lot more about the Viking "Super Joint." So, I'm turning it over to the years of experience and expertise found right here.

Thank you!

BOXCAR

Old
  (#2)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar View Post
I'd like to know a lot more about the Viking "Super Joint." So, I'm turning it over to the years of experience and expertise found right here.

Thank you!

BOXCAR

Hi Boxcar
Quite simple actually. It's a double threaded screw. 2 different thicknesses with matching inserts. They are machined in house at Viking cues. I have a couple of the inserts and can post a picture if you need me too.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Old
  (#3)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

06-24-2019, 03:55 PM

The super joint was invented in the early 1950's by a little known cue maker named Clark Kent.
He worked in a small shop with a helper named Jimmy Olson.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#4)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member
Boxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond reputeBoxcar has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Webb View Post
Hi Boxcar
Quite simple actually. It's a double threaded screw. 2 different thicknesses with matching inserts. They are machined in house at Viking cues. I have a couple of the inserts and can post a picture if you need me too.
I would absolutely love to see a picture, or 7 pictures for that matter. Is Viking still machining the parts?

BOXCAR

Old
  (#5)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member

06-24-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
The super joint was invented in the early 1950's by a little known cue maker named Clark Kent.
He worked in a small shop with a helper named Jimmy Olson.
Was Lois allowed to handle that magnificent joint?

Old
  (#6)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 04:12 PM

It's not on their current cue repair form. I would call and ask about it to know for sure.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#7)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I would absolutely love to see a picture, or 7 pictures for that matter. Is Viking still machining the parts?

BOXCAR

I'll post them later tonight. 9/16x18 outside and 5/16x18 inside. Yes, they still make them.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Old
  (#8)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

06-24-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
It's not on their current cue repair form. I would call and ask about it to know for sure.

Absolutely. Good advice as always.

Name:  IMG_20190624_203901.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  127.4 KB

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Old
  (#9)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member

06-24-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Attachment 523327
Michael,

Thank you very much!

Wow! OK, so the outer thread is like a threaded "pilot" and the inner (female) threaded hole receives the pin??? So you have the shaft part, right. The butt portion then, must have the pin and complementary threads to receive the outer threaded pilot??? Is that right? How deep is the seat for the butt portion?

Are they prone to breakage? Is the Super Joint a great idea that really isn't such a great idea? How is there room for decoration. Are the wood walls so thin they are weak?

BOXCAR

Last edited by Boxcar; 06-24-2019 at 06:01 PM.

Old
  (#10)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

06-24-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Michael,

Thank you very much!

Wow! OK, so the outer thread is like a threaded "pilot" and the inner (female) threaded hole receives the pin??? So you have the shaft part, right. The butt portion then, must have the pin and complementary threads to receive the outer threaded pilot??? Is that right? How deep is the seat for the butt portion?

Are they prone to breakage? Is the Super Joint a great idea that really isn't such a great idea? How is there room decoration. Are the wood walls so thin they are weak?

BOXCAR

Your welcome.
I haven't seen one break yet. It's a piloted joint. Those other questions are not for me to say. I don't judge or condemn, I accept.

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Old
  (#11)
Boxcar
AzB Silver Member

06-24-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Your welcome.
I haven't seen one break yet. It's a piloted joint. Those other questions are not for me to say. I don't judge or condemn, I accept.
So sayeth the wise man.

Michael, thank you for your help.

To all, thank you!

Best regards,

BOXCAR

Old
  (#12)
Chopdoc
AzB Silver Member
Chopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond reputeChopdoc has a reputation beyond repute

06-24-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Attachment 523327
Thanks!

Never saw the raw parts before.

I have seen some they have done as repairs or extra shafts for old cues. They looked shorter. Not sure if that is just what I have seen or if the newer version is consistently shorter than the original.

If they ever stop making them, anything like that can be replicated if the machinist is willing and the customer is willing to pay.

Bury me with my JOSS....

"Chop Lock"
Member of the world famous Lock Society

Cases I made: http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=258632

Old
  (#13)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

06-25-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Was Lois allowed to handle that magnificent joint?
Lois would polish their joints.

Playing cue- The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Back up cue - Troy Downey

I woke up.
Triangles tips and Masters chalk are good enough.

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#14)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

06-26-2019, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopdoc View Post
Thanks!

If they ever stop making them, anything like that can be replicated if the machinist is willing and the customer is willing to pay.

Standard procedure. I had these big headed blanks made for the odd ball deep joint set ups. McDermott quick release, Paradise and Schulers as an example of brand names.

Name:  IMG_20190315_154441.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  98.4 KB
Name:  IMG_20190309_071956.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  184.2 KB

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Last edited by Michael Webb; 06-26-2019 at 01:55 AM.

Old
  (#15)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member

06-26-2019, 02:10 AM

McDermott quick release example.

Name:  IMG_20190626_051533.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  140.6 KB

Best Wishes
Michael Webb
webbcues@cox.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: