Historic Cues. Do you have any?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Since Tim (skins) posted a very fancy Gus a few days ago, it got a few of us to thinking about a historical thread. This is an attempt, for those who are interested. A lot of historic cues have been presented over the years, but mostly in the archives now. Since this is the cues and cases gallery, I think only cues and cases should be presented. I would hope that Tim would post the Gus again (and when it might get a spa treatment).

As this is historic, I think new cues and tributes wouldn't fit this thread. Cutoffs are arbitrary, but I would think before The Color Of Money would be appropriate. That's 1986 or so. Others may disagree. Not a contest, I don't intend to judge anything.

Some have more than others. Obviously the cues in the collections of Joe Van Buren, Steve Piesner, and Will Prout, would be incredible in one thread. Mizerak's cues, Eddie Taylor's Paradise Diamond King, and the cues of Mosconi, Lassiter, Balsis, and Caras to name a few. Ernie's box cue for Ed Kelly. The first box cue from Joss. Possibilities are out there.

This thread could die immediately, or survive. You have to admit, this forum could use a bit of a jolt at the moment. Or, it could be shut down by the trolls who have all to criticize, and nothing to show.

For what it's worth, I'll give it a modest start. I know there are larger, but here's a mid-70's Joss with veneered six points, when Janes and Scruggs worked together in the last days of George, and the early days of Gus. I've only seen one other veneered six point Joss in that era, in the hands of Richard Riggie in the 70s, when he battled the likes of Mizerak, Colavita, Margo, and the rest.

All the best,
WW

Attachments

• DSCN0366.jpg
    DSCN0366.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 3,676
  • DSCN0371.jpg
    DSCN0371.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 3,676
  • DSCN0377.jpg
    DSCN0377.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 3,692
Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Lets not get ahead of ourselves... my name does not belong with those guys, I sincerely thank you for thinking of me though. I have been fortunate to own, for the sole intent of resale some very nice cues. Here is a Frank Paradise owned by Joe Balsis, purchased from his best man's son, only half a mile from my house....

JV

Attachments

• balsis_cue_002_lo.jpg
    balsis_cue_002_lo.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 3,468
  • balsis_cue_005.jpg
    balsis_cue_005.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 3,375
  • balsis_cue_006.jpg
    balsis_cue_006.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 3,473

classiccues

Silver Member
....and a Bushka OWNED by Dallas West....

Pay attention.. the cue needed to be restored and we had Pete make new shafts... but we kept one original with the cue... :)

JV

Attachments

• bushka_west_fore_hi.jpg
    bushka_west_fore_hi.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 3,650
  • bushka_west_butt_hi.jpg
    bushka_west_butt_hi.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 3,821

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great Thread..........

Here are a few oldies but goodies...........

Top cue is a 1971 Bushka....original and has ivory, bottom cue is George Jr.'s cue built for him by his father..Balabushka Sr. in 1969ish and features all original condition with leather wrap....

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 3,515
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 3,637
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 3,398
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 3,582
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 3,565

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
One of Gus's fanciest four pointers built for a friend of his with the Python Fellini it was delivered in....

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
Since Tim (skins) posted a very fancy Gus a few days ago, it got a few of us to thinking about a historical thread. This is an attempt, for those who are interested. A lot of historic cues have been presented over the years, but mostly in the archives now. Since this is the cues and cases gallery, I think only cues and cases should be presented. I would hope that Tim would post the Gus again (and when it might get a spa treatment).

As this is historic, I think new cues and tributes wouldn't fit this thread. Cutoffs are arbitrary, but I would think before The Color Of Money would be appropriate. That's 1986 or so. Others may disagree. Not a contest, I don't intend to judge anything.

Some have more than others. Obviously the cues in the collections of Joe Van Buren, Steve Pisner, and Will Prout, would be incredible in one thread. Mizerak's cues, Eddie Taylor's Paradise Diamond King, and the cues of Mosconi, Lassiter, Balsis, and Caras to name a few. Ernie's box cue for Ed Kelly. The first box cue from Joss. Possibilities are out there.

This thread could die immediately, or survive. You have to admit, this forum could use a bit of a jolt at the moment. Or, it could be shut down by the trolls who have all to criticize, and nothing to show.

For what it's worth, I'll give it a modest start. I know there are larger, but here's a mid-70's Joss with veneered six points, when Janes and Scruggs worked together in the last days of George, and the early days of Gus. I've only seen one other veneered six point Joss in that era, in the hands of Richard Riggie in the 70s, when he battled the likes of Mizerak, Colavita, Margo, and the rest.

All the best,

WW

Great cue, where do you live? I've seen this cue before. It is similar to Riggies old cue. An old friend of mine John Thomas of Chesapeake Va also has one that's very similar to yours except points are ebony. Great time capsule here.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Great cue, where do you live? I've seen this cue before. It is similar to Riggies old cue. An old friend of mine John Thomas of Chesapeake Va also has one that's very similar to yours except points are ebony. Great time capsule here.

I'm in the D.C. area. I played with this cue mainly in the 70s in some Maryland pool rooms; thanks for the compliment. Good memory on Richard Riggie's six pointer. He did an occasional exhibition at the original Bill & Billies in Glen Burnie, Maryland in the 70s, where I got a look at it.

By the way, Great additions so far. Magnificent Bushkas, including one of the most rare, the one made for his son. Also one of the fanciest Gus cues that AZ will ever see. There are gems out there, keep them coming.

All the best,
WW

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
I'm in the D.C. area. I played with this cue mainly in the 70s in some Maryland pool rooms; thanks for the compliment. Good memory on Richard Riggie's six pointer. He did an occasional exhibition at the original Bill & Billies in Glen Burnie, Maryland in the 70s, where I got a look at it.

By the way, Great additions so far. Magnificent Bushkas, including one of the most rare, the one made for his son. Also one of the fanciest Gus cues that AZ will ever see. There are gems out there, keep them coming.

All the best,

WW

Thought so, I'm from the same area, now it all makes sense. Great cue.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
This gem belongs to my friend Brian, bigb'scues - cue is going out for a special resto and better photos will be taken then.

Potentially historic cue? Balabushka, Spain forearm, gorgeous intact window and foil, sharp classic Bushka ring, MOP inlays... All on one cue.

I haven't seen many window cues. I haven't seen many non-Titlist window cues. I haven't seen any window cues with a Bushka ring, are there any others?

JV, any thoughts?

EDIT: It's not foil, but milled aluminum

Attachments

• IMG_20160404_101053_01.jpg
    IMG_20160404_101053_01.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 3,283
  • IMG_20160404_101058_01.jpg
    IMG_20160404_101058_01.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 3,297
  • IMG_20160621_093505_01.jpg
    IMG_20160621_093505_01.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 2,333
Last edited:

Bank it

Uh Huh, Sounds Legit
Silver Member
This gem belongs to my friend Brian, bigb'scues - cue is going out for a special resto and better photos will be taken then.

Potentially historic cue? Balabushka, Spain forearm, gorgeous intact window and foil, sharp classic Bushka ring, MOP inlays... All on one cue.

I haven't seen many window cues. I haven't seen many non-Titlist window cues. I haven't seen any window cues with a Bushka ring, are there any others?

JV, any thoughts?

Very nice, how about a pic of your old Joss

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

JV, any thoughts?

Just curious, why is this cue being restored? It looks nice as it is.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

JV, any thoughts?

I would say this is historically significant. The window Bushkas I've seen are mainly Titlist blanks. Some with brass joints, some with steel, but usually plain black joint collars. This one is a bit different, window with the later Spain points and nickel rings in the joint collars.

To think this was found in a bar is incredible. I wonder if this is one of the last window cues to be built by George, as his later cues with Spain / Szamboti blanks did not tend to be window in the buttplate.

I think we'd all like to see this after the restoration.

All the best,
WW

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
How about this one. Any interest it could be for sale

Beautiful Rambow, Eric, thanks for joining the party. Considering that Mosconi's official run of 526, and Babe Cranfield's practice run of 768 were both done with old Rambow cues, this one sure fits the historic theme.

Herman Rambow did these on an old wood lathe, which would surprise most collectors.

All the best,
WW

classiccues

Silver Member
Erics twin... in purpleheart....

JV

Attachments

• rambow_fore.jpg
    rambow_fore.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,780
  • rambow_sig.jpg