playing with inside

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lately I've had a few steep cuts with inside miss
realized I'm not very well-versed hitting with inside in general
except on a few shots (ironically, steep cuts is one)
so I decided to play a few racks using inside, exclusively
to my surprise, I shot pretty ok
even on shots where using inside seemed counter-intuitive
I potted well, and found a way to get position most of time anyway
thinking about contact points, angles and speed differently was fun
let the games continue

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
just another shot

let the games continue

Many people have the idea that inside is harder to shoot so they avoid it. Naturally shots that are used less we have less experience and practice with, then they are harder.

One of my "rules of play" is to travel the cue ball as little as possible. Often one rail and inside will do what three rails and outside will do, with much less risk of running into traffic. As a side benefit players sometimes jump out of their chair and ask what I just did!

Inside is often the best choice. Learn it, use it when it is the best choice. A recent article reported tests between humans and monkeys. The monkeys were far quicker to adapt their thinking. Having another option to consider increases our adaptivity. Always nice to have more options on the table.

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many people have the idea that inside is harder to shoot so they avoid it. Naturally shots that are used less we have less experience and practice with, then they are harder.

One of my "rules of play" is to travel the cue ball as little as possible. Often one rail and inside will do what three rails and outside will do, with much less risk of running into traffic. As a side benefit players sometimes jump out of their chair and ask what I just did!

Inside is often the best choice. Learn it, use it when it is the best choice. A recent article reported tests between humans and monkeys. The monkeys were far quicker to adapt their thinking. Having another option to consider increases our adaptivity. Always nice to have more options on the table.

Hu
I'll have to keep that in mind next time i draw a chimp in a tournament. ;)

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu

hi hu and thanks
I definitely agree it's nice to have options:smile:

can you expound on what is the "best" choice
when it comes to deciding how to shoot?
I'd like to know more about your philosophy on that
if possible

thanks again

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some time a cue really assists in the shooting with inside English,
in my opinion....
ALL of the Dale Perry cues I have had , and presently shoot with one-
Very easy for inside English-
Same with Ariel Carmeli cue I also have-nice and easy -
Some others weren't so user-friendly like that

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
in my opinion....
What cue features do you think affect this? Which ones make inside easier and which make it harder?

Personally, I don't believe it.

pj
chgo

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
in my opinion....

What cue features do you think affect this? Which ones make inside easier and which make it harder?

pj
chgo

The cue that is made for left handed players when used by. a right handed player and vice versa.....:grin::grin::grin:

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Not sure....
Just my personal experience-
On a lot of cues I have had to use and shoot with-
My last South West seemed to really squirt the cue ball away from where I aimed-Especially with the inside English-
where as the Carmeli cue in my avatar and a Dale Perry Cue-brass radial pin & flat faced joint, also an It's George piloted steel joint-
doesn't matter where I hit the cue ball- shoots nice and straight at the point I am aiming at"

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
My last South West seemed to really squirt the cue ball away from where I aimed-Especially with the inside English
You think the cue squirted more when you used inside? How do you suppose the cue knew when the spin you were applying was inside vs. outside?

I'm pretty sure it's you doing something different, not your cue.

pj
chgo

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You think the cue squirted more when you used inside? How do you suppose the cue knew when the spin you were applying was inside vs. outside?

pj
chgo
Sorry-
" I didn't say that right, I suppose-
My experience is some cues-For me - very easy to use inside English-others not so easy at all"

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Sorry-
" I didn't say that right, I suppose-
Or I didn't read it right... :)

My experience is some cues-For me - very easy to use inside English-others not so easy at all"
I think it's clear that the cues have nothing to do with this - "inside" or "outside" is all the same side spin to the cue; it doesn't "know" which way you're cutting the object ball. But you do have to aim a little differently for one vs the other, no matter what cue you use - it's probably that difference you need to learn.

It's harder for most everybody to get comfortable with inside because we use it less than outside. The solution isn't another cue; it's to practice using inside more.

pj
chgo

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an inside cue and an outside cue. Problem is they look alike and if i grab the wrong one i'm liable to miss the whole ball. ;)

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Using inside and the shot looks like you are hitting the object ball to "full", so most folks over correct, and then shoot and now they've undercut the shot by a lot.

Using outside doesn't have that same problem. It's more perception than anything else. Sometime you just gotta trust you lined it up, and never correct once you are down on the shot. Easier said then done for most.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play my position so that the majority of my shots will allow me to use inside.

I use inside more than I use outside.

I can do both.

Unless you are hitting a ball head on, center to center, the "inside" of the cue ball is ALWAYS the side of the cue ball that is touching the contact point on the object ball.

I am aiming the contact point on the "inside" of the cue ball to hit the contact point on the object ball that will send it in the direction I want it to go.

The "outside" of the cue ball NEVER touches the object ball.

The wording above may be "above" some peoples' heads, but anybody that knows how to play pool will know what I'm saying.

Aloha

ghost ball

justnum survivor
Silver Member
let the games continue

TOI, learn it, love it, live it.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Indeed … the game is the teacher I heard somewhere ;)

Shhhhhhhhhh

We can't use "that acronym" or phrase around here.

It drives the "pool scientists" batty.

If one puts enough time into "inside", they truly will experience a different way of "seeing" the table.

I'm not going to argue with the "pool scientists" on here because it would be futile. They just like to "babble" people to death on here with "stuff" that you really don't need to know in order to play the game.

I'm not against' learning things by reading, seeing, or through instruction, but there are plenty of things you can figure out on your own if you put in the time at the table.

The reason many people are "afraid" of inside is because it is "strange" to them. From the very first day they learn, most people will tell them "outside" is the way to go and when they watch people they see them using outside the most.

"Inside" drives the cue ball "away" from the object ball because of the deflection...no matter how minuscule that amount may be (due to cue properties, tip, stroke, stroke speed, etc.) and you must "adjust" for that.

"Outside" drives the cue ball "into" the object ball and you must adjust for that also, but it is way more "forgiving" for the most part...assuming you hit the object ball with the cue ball.

Once again, "pool players" will know what I mean.

I'm not advocating you shouldn't use both, but I would advise people to spend several hours in one or more practice sessions just using "inside" to make themselves more comfortable with it and more knowledgeable on how it can be a major asset in their game.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo
Telepathy, the cue knew it the moment he thought it!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to know what Dr Dave says about this.
It has always been my feeling that inside English has more variables than outside, and is far more affected by cue ball speed , condition of the cloth and humidity in the room.
I get a lot of laughs every time i say this but I have found that if the shot is not too far away , if I aim the cue tip at the center of the cue ball in a straight line and then swerve my backhand just before contact with the cueball, to the side I am cutting the ball to , it negates almost all of the extraneous things that happen on the shot and I make the ball a high percentage of the time . No matter what the other conditions are .
When I do this, I can just aim {hit the cueball} like I am using outside .
More than about 3 feet away I get back to guessing.