Make Pool Great Again!

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool be fine now

I like pool like it is with one exception. I no like the Mosconi Cup, Team USA against a whole fricking continent. How bout we just play Team Britain or Team Germany or Team Taiwan or Team Pinoy, etc.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like pool like it is with one exception. I no like the Mosconi Cup, Team USA against a whole fricking continent. How bout we just play Team Britain or Team Germany or Team Taiwan or Team Pinoy, etc.

europe-us-overlay-map.jpg

The Philippines is even smaller in size and population, and we would struggle to play them even much less win.

The whole, 'its us against an entire continent' bullshit, is just that. Bullshit excuses from people who obviously failed high school geography.

We suck on the world stage, because pool isnt as popular as it once was here, while gaining huge popularity elsewhere in the world.

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dear River City

"The Philippines is even smaller in size and population, and we would struggle to play them even much less win.

The whole, 'its us against an entire continent' bullshit, is just that. Bullshit excuses from people who obviously failed high school geography.

We suck on the world stage, because pool isnt as popular as it once was here, while gaining huge popularity elsewhere in the world."

Dang River City. Maybe my thinking is flawed, but I have a right to my opinion. I never failed Geography and doubt the US could beat Taiwan or Pinoy Land.

In 2020 the Europe coach will look at England, Scotland, Germany, Spain, Holland, Greece, Austria, The Netherlands, Finland, and the other 35 countries making up Europe and it's population, according to the UN of 747,294,484.

They will then see who is playing the best and pick their team. The US team will be picked from a population of less then 340 million. From a country that has lost interest in pool.

This is a billiard forum, it is ok if we have different ideas. Best wishes.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
....This is a billiard forum, it is ok if we have different ideas. Best wishes.

Ever here the phrase 'youre entitled to your own opinion, but you arent entitled to your own facts"?

Population means little to nothing, as pointed out by the example of the Philippines.

Africa has a population of 1,318,717,841 (almost 17% of the planets total population) as of 2019. You think you could make a world class team from that population? Nope. Know why? Because pool isnt popular there.

The only numbers that matter population wise, is the number of world class players living in an area. We dont have that many anymore. Other parts of the world caught up to us, and left us in the dust.

So again, explain to me how the us vs a continent argument is anything other that a bullshit excuse?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
europe-us-overlay-map.jpg

The Philippines is even smaller in size and population, and we would struggle to play them even much less win.

We suck on the world stage, because pool isnt as popular as it once was here, while gaining huge popularity elsewhere in the world.
Agree 100%. Just more whining.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
My idea is simple. Make every Major Tournament in the United States like the Mosconi Cup in regards to atmosphere. You want Professional pool to have the same cache as major sports? It needs the same enthusiasm that the major sports have.
No more sitting quietly in your chair and whispering about position play. We need cheering and beers in hands. Excitement! If that keeps some away? You have to prune to grow.
Welcoming all thoughts/comments.

And exactly who would be putting up the prize money?? Right now the majority of ALL added money in pool tournaments is provided by the PLAYERS!!!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And exactly who would be putting up the prize money?? Right now the majority of ALL added money in pool tournaments is provided by the PLAYERS!!!!
Majority of prize-fund comes from players but not added money. Been to a BUNCH of tournaments in last 40 yrs and added $$ almost always comes from promoter or room/bar owner. That's generally what "added" means, added to the entry funds.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what I’ve been saying for years. Pool hasn’t a deep pocket sponsor since the cigarette company’s pulled out of everything! Until you get them and advertising dollars you won’t see them back on main tv.

And yea the lowest paid guy on the pga tour who just makes enough cuts to keep his tour card makes more then all but maybe the top pro players any more.

If you want Pool to be great again, bring back Sponsor with MONEY to entice people to get into playing Pool.

IMHO if I had a kid who was interested in being a pro athlete with the ability to make a good living for a long time I would tell the kid to take up Golf, not Pool.

Most PGA Pro's on the Tour Make a Decent Living.

Most PGA Pro's have endorsements, sponsor, and last this is a secondary flow of income.

Most PGA Players get free equiptment, bags, balls, clubs, clothing, and are paid for using the items. Subliminal advertising, and Tiger Woods get big buck to wear Nike stuff.

The other thing is when you can no longer compete with the young guns, their is a Senior PGA Tour.

Ever hear of a PGA Pro winning a big tournament, getting a rubber check, or the promotors skipping town with you winnings, and stiff everyone else.

Golf is the way to go, and a model POOL should clone if they want to be great again.

I have been playing pool for fun, over 60 + years, it's something fun to do, bar tournaments are ok, but nothing too loose sleep over. Play 5 or 6 hours, and take home 70 - 100 dollar for a first place, then you got to subtract cost of travel, a few drinks, and you winning have diminished.

Only a few Pro Pool Player ever retire to a nice home, or have much to show for their effort playing Pool. Many die broke, with someone passing a hat for a decent burial.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
A few months ago I started doing the research on a book on this subject and started to use this title. The research is really sort of depressing when you at all the pieces involved in Pool Rooms closing. Its doesn't seem like it was totally necessary actually but the market was changing and it had to happen and it did.

A lot had to happen with Pool itself and it also did, but the doover is due and its time for it but I don't see that happening on any grand scale like you mentioned. There has to be grassroots established once again before Pool will move in any permanent way. I'm not sure how long that sort of move will take but Pool Rooms need to come into being once again in small communities and those rooms need to be without Alcohol in order for true grassroots to be formed. This was the basis for what the book I was researching would have been about and I was going to tie other things into it but the bottom line was the Pool Business would have to be profitable once again and I believe that it is. It's going to take people involved that want to make a decent living off of local pool rooms once again and in so doing Pool will be Great Again.

My idea is simple. Make every Major Tournament in the United States like the Mosconi Cup in regards to atmosphere. You want Professional pool to have the same cache as major sports? It needs the same enthusiasm that the major sports have.
No more sitting quietly in your chair and whispering about position play. We need cheering and beers in hands. Excitement! If that keeps some away? You have to prune to grow.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few months ago I started doing the research on a book on this subject and started to use this title. The research is really sort of depressing when you at all the pieces involved in Pool Rooms closing. Its doesn't seem like it was totally necessary actually but the market was changing and it had to happen and it did.

A lot had to happen with Pool itself and it also did, but the doover is due and its time for it but I don't see that happening on any grand scale like you mentioned. There has to be grassroots established once again before Pool will move in any permanent way.
Just getting someone off their ass and putting a cue in their hand will often do it. That sounds so simple but in this current climate(cell phone, video game, general laziness) its a tough sell. Gotta lead 'em to the water before they can drink it. Buy a couple cheap/decent cues and just give 'em away to anyone that show even remote interest. Can't hurt, right??

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Just getting someone off their ass and putting a cue in their hand will often do it. That sounds so simple but in this current climate(cell phone, video game, general laziness) its a tough sell. Gotta lead 'em to the water before they can drink it. Buy a couple cheap/decent cues and just give 'em away to anyone that show even remote interest. Can't hurt, right??

Place to play need to open in small communities is my opinion. That's your grassroots.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Place to play need to open in small communities is my opinion. That's your grassroots.
Probably biggest stumbling block. Rent/overhead in even little towns is getting brutal. I think its doable but not easy to open a place anywhere.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Majority of prize-fund comes from players but not added money. Been to a BUNCH of tournaments in last 40 yrs and added $$ almost always comes from promoter or room/bar owner. That's generally what "added" means, added to the entry funds.

Last US open 9b, $256,000 players money, $50,000 added. In my opinion, that's a players ring game!!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last US open 9b, $256,000 players money, $50,000 added. In my opinion, that's a players ring game!!
Most events, big or small, do this. Its nothing new. Unless you go land a MAJOR sponsor with big-time deep pockets it won't change anytime soon.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Probably biggest stumbling block. Rent/overhead in even little towns is getting brutal. I think its doable but not easy to open a place anywhere.

Actually you would be wrong for 50% of the small towns out there. In my small town Retail space (which is what they call it here) to have a place for a Pool Room ranges from $1.50 to $5.00 per square foot in my town. That's per foot per year. The range of rents for a 3000 sq. ft space start at $375 per month at $1.50 and go up.

Its conceivable that you could get a room in a small town with 10 tables and the rent and power be less than $1250 a month and in many cases under a $1000. If you had your act together right the possibilities are endless but there are limitations in several areas you just have to realize what they are and know that going in so you can work around them. Were I young I wouldn't be scared to open a room having done my homework but Im not young and I have other things I want to do with my life. I do see how partnerships could make it possible and how owners could retire there..

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

That is about the way the Bar Torunments went in PHX, added money was the Quarters players put in bar boxes was added back in as the add money. Simple math most people can not figure out.

The negative is the Bar owners are not in business too loose money, remember when player at the famous Pool Bar on Dunlap in Phoenix (Alaxanders) would walk to the Asian Masrket around the cornor because Coca Cola was bigger & cheaper.

Do the math, count entrees fees, bar box cost per game, green fees, travel, etc, and see if your a real winner or maybe breaking even the next time your a winner.

Bar owners got rent, insurance, phone, wifi, cable, payroll, etc. It cost them money ever day of the week. Open or closed. Owning a bar, pool bar, or pool room is a loosing investment in most cases.

Every person who never owned a Pool Bar, or Pool Room is an expert on how they could make a killing if. The truth is most Pool Bar, or Pool Room Owner do not drive next Lexus or live rich. Most just if their lucky make a few bucks, work long hours, as if they are not their at the business, there employees steal em blind.

Don't take a bar tender giving too many free beers, or shots, or over pouring to kill a days profits.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
That is the honest truth. If I had a room I'd be the only employee for that reason. I'd rather have a place to get a sandwich and a cup of coffee than a drink or a beer because when you add alcohol you take away a large chunk of the market you could get with out the booze. Pool has a demographic problem that is fixable but you'll never make a killing and it can become your prison.

That is about the way the Bar Torunments went in PHX, added money was the Quarters players put in bar boxes was added back in as the add money. Simple math most people can not figure out.

The negative is the Bar owners are not in business too loose money, remember when player at the famous Pool Bar on Dunlap in Phoenix (Alaxanders) would walk to the Asian Masrket around the cornor because Coca Cola was bigger & cheaper.

Do the math, count entrees fees, bar box cost per game, green fees, travel, etc, and see if your a real winner or maybe breaking even the next time your a winner.

Bar owners got rent, insurance, phone, wifi, cable, payroll, etc. It cost them money ever day of the week. Open or closed. Owning a bar, pool bar, or pool room is a loosing investment in most cases.

Every person who never owned a Pool Bar, or Pool Room is an expert on how they could make a killing if. The truth is most Pool Bar, or Pool Room Owner do not drive next Lexus or live rich. Most just if their lucky make a few bucks, work long hours, as if they are not their at the business, there employees steal em blind.

Don't take a bar tender giving too many free beers, or shots, or over pouring to kill a days profits.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Your ''jingle''....I've heard it before, in my past somewhere.

Best too yah with your efforts.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually you would be wrong for 50% of the small towns out there. In my small town Retail space (which is what they call it here) to have a place for a Pool Room ranges from $1.50 to $5.00 per square foot in my town. That's per foot per year. The range of rents for a 3000 sq. ft space start at $375 per month at $1.50 and go up.

Its conceivable that you could get a room in a small town with 10 tables and the rent and power be less than $1250 a month and in many cases under a $1000. If you had your act together right the possibilities are endless but there are limitations in several areas you just have to realize what they are and know that going in so you can work around them. Were I young I wouldn't be scared to open a room having done my homework but Im not young and I have other things I want to do with my life. I do see how partnerships could make it possible and how owners could retire there..
Wow. That's dirt cheap and definitely the exception and not the rule. Must be one small town. You think 50% of small town(what's small??) rents are that low? Find that hard to believe. Problem with too small of a town you don't have a big enough potential customer base. Kind of a two-edged sword.