A Pool Room with Home Style Tables

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think a lot of the Dave and Buster's are getting out of the pool business if not shutting down outright and their 6-leg A.E. Schmidt's are going as is pretty cheap. You might check around some for those. I've got one at home and although it wasn't cheap once I had it completely refurbished and refinished it's a nice playing very solid table.

To have survived at D&B all those years and still have all it's original numbered parts speaks pretty well as to how it was built.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
We had a Dave and Busters in the Baltimore area years ago. Wife and daughter went shopping and left me to my pleasure. They had GCIII's.

Was running out like water, 5.25 inch corner pockets can help with that.

:p

I think a lot of the Dave and Buster's are getting out of the pool business if not shutting down outright and their 6-leg A.E. Schmidt's are going as is pretty cheap. You might check around some for those. I've got one at home and although it wasn't cheap once I had it completely refurbished and refinished it's a nice playing very solid table.

To have survived at D&B all those years and still have all it's original numbered parts speaks pretty well as to how it was built.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
The big question is would your business build up with home style tables?

You have a point to consider. I've been looking at that and I think a Pool Room needs some food that's easy to make that doesn't call for a lot of hood system
and food code regulations for the waste end of it along with good, I mean good coffee, a piece of cake, pie etc. and affordable marketing.

Did you know that you can get 2500 3 x 4 inch refridgerator magnets for $1000?

I don't know of a single room that's ever run an ad campaign to groups children, adults and retirees who are looking for something to do. I'd just about bet that if you get
those magnets on peoples refridgerators and advertise a play all evening special that you would start getting some business and non players would come out and be happy.

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
Our local has Dufferin Titans from the late 80s. The facings and leather pockets are so hard they spit balls straight back out onto the table if they're hit any harder than pocket speed. The cushions are broken off the rails and the cloth is so worn it reflects the lights. There isn't a straight Walabushka in the joint, the music is too loud, and there's a, "safe injection" site a block away which means if your car isn't locked someone will have claimed it as their new home.

But it's all there is around here and there's action every single night.

I don't think they'd be Titans as those had rubber pockets, not leather. Maybe you're thinking of the Dufferin Anniversary, which was more of a home style table.

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Pool? In my City?

Did you know that you can get 2500 3 x 4 inch refridgerator magnets for $1000?

I don't know of a single room that's ever run an ad campaign to groups children, adults and retirees who are looking for something to do.

I'd just about bet that if you get those magnets on peoples refridgerators and advertise a play all evening special.

In most cities mentioning “Children and Pool” in same sentence will get you this....

Friends, lemme tell you what I mean.
Ya got one, two, three, four, five, six pockets in a table.
Pockets that mark the diff'rence
Between a gentlemen and a bum,
With a capital "B,"
And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!
And all week long your River City
Youth'll be frittern away,
I say your young men'll be frittern!
Frittern away their noontime, suppertime, choretime too!
Get the ball in the pocket,
Never mind gittin' Dandelions pulled
Or the screen door patched or the beefsteak pounded.
Never mind pumpin' any water
'Til your parents are caught with the Cistern empty
On a Saturday night and that's trouble,
Oh, yes we got lots and lots a' trouble.
I'm thinkin' of the kids in the knickerbockers,
Shirt-tail young ones, peekin' in the pool
Hall window after school, look, folks!
Right here in River City.
Trouble with a capital "T"
And that rhymes with "P" and that stands for pool!

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I don't think they'd be Titans as those had rubber pockets, not leather. Maybe you're thinking of the Dufferin Anniversary, which was more of a home style table.

Hey Brian, you're right, they are Anniversary's. I dug out an old Dufferin catalogue and they are in there. I know he said, "Titans", but no matter the name, they've had their life.

We had a conversation about me buying the place but I'm not interested in the location anymore. Too many needles, too many junkies, and too much crime. Maybe one of these days I'll find a spot on the west-side.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there are many that take advantage of this program but I’m curious the price? I’m guessing $150-$200 per month per table for 9 footers, maybe slightly less for 7 footers? Perhaps if each of those tables can bring in that much $ or more per week, it might work.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
OK I was OK until you mentioned the Red cloth. A man has to have limits. Went to the same hall for 28 years. Out paced 3 owners. They went red. I went out.

and

Freddie:

1) There are some things you should never admit to.
2) I hope you washed your hands you filthy animal.

Ghosst <~~~ never shaking Freddie's hand again

You guys are right, but I traveled a couple hours just to get to the tournament ... I ruined the wrap (white specks on black). Very traumatizing.

Freddie <~~~ also played on black cloth

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff...I think David Rowell still owns Bumpers in Birmingham. Randyg did a pool school there and certified David as a PBIA Certified Instructor in the last year or two.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Bumpers in Birmingham, Alabama use to be full of what I would call olhausen home tables.

David Rowell was the owner at that point. Not sure when he first owned Bumpers but, I do know that when he sold that room to a group of people, it was full of home-type tables.

All of them were 4 x 8 drop pockets.

I didn't mind playing on them. He kept them up pretty good until toward the end of his ownership. At that point, the place seemed to go downhill pretty fast until it was sold.

The group that bought him out really updated the place and kept it really clean. But, that didn't last long.

After only two or three years, one of the owners bought the rest of the group out and within a few months, the place wasn't the same. At that point, the tables were hardly ever cleaned the right way and recovered a table only when it was to a point nobody would play on it. That owner seems to not care as much. (Money issues :shrug:)

I love rooms that are owned by serious players. They always seem to have the best kept tables, regardless of what brand.

Jeff

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I guess I'd go home style or used vs. a ton of debt. Diamonds are a huge investment then you have the interest rate.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeff...I think David Rowell still owns Bumpers in Birmingham. Randyg did a pool school there and certified David as a PBIA Certified Instructor in the last year or two.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Hmmm,

He may have bought it back.

I do know he sold it a few years ago to a few Asian fellows in Birmingham.

From my understanding, one of them bought the others out. Don't know what the deal was but, I heard they had problems with the division of authority/labor between the owners.

I played David a few weeks ago at bumpers in Birmingham. He didn't say anything about it but, he may have acquired the business again.

BTW, he beat me the first set but, let me keep my dignity by letting me have the second set.

I got a couple questions about the instructor stuff and who gets what. I'll PM you a little later.

BTW, I'm still waiting on a lesson.

Make sure you bring a stroke for me to buy from you....please.

Jeff