Brunswick purchases Kentucky company, moves all operations to Mexico..

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That does not explain WHY the company was sold in the first place, does it?
I doubt ANYBODY on here knows for sure but usually when a company is bought and closed that quickly the buyer just wanted the name and product lines. If you know clue us all in.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So can we assume the only major US based pool table manufacturers remaining are Diamond, Olhausen and Connelly? I don't know about Diamond, but I'm quite sure both Olhausen and Connelly offer a number of lower end models that are likely made for them in China. After those 3, who would be the 2-3 next biggest US based pool table manufacturers that still actually build their tables here?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I doubt ANYBODY on here knows for sure but usually when a company is bought and closed that quickly the buyer just wanted the name and product lines. If you know clue us all in.

There is NO buyers, unless there's a seller FIRST. So, the question remains, why did the managment sell out???

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So can we assume the only major US based pool table manufacturers remaining are Diamond, Olhausen and Connelly? I don't know about Diamond, but I'm quite sure both Olhausen and Connelly offer a number of lower end models that are likely made for them in China. After those 3, who would be the 2-3 next biggest US based pool table manufacturers that still actually build their tables here?
Any other US companies would be very small regional outfits. There IS Valley/Dynamo in Ft.Worth crankin' out bar-boxes.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Do tell, I am curious.

Blame is being placed on the buyer, being Brunswick, like they went in and forced the company to sell out, like they had no choice, and that's just wrong.

The seller had the choice not to sell as well, but decided to sell out anyway. So that's the real question NOT being asked, WHY did management sell out their employees jobs???

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Has nothing to do with the original post.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Re:AMF/Brunswick

Before my interest in pool I was a motorcycle dealer representing many different franchises. One of which was Harley Davidson. I remember when AMF bought the manufacturer and I remember when they sold it. AMF nearly ruined the most iconic motorcycle manufacturer during their tenure. Understandably, we dealers we very happy when AMF left. So happy that we assigned a different meaning to the letters AMF. We saluted their departure with "Adios _ _s, lol.

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That does not explain WHY the company was sold in the first place, does it?

you can deduce from that article that it was sold because it wasn't being profitable. The plant was over staffed and running at 1/2 capacity due to the decline of bowling ball sales over the years.

They had value in the intellectual property and they sold that for what they could get before they couldn't sustain anymore losses.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you can deduce from that article that it was sold because it wasn't being profitable. The plant was over staffed and running at 1/2 capacity due to the decline of bowling ball sales over the years.

They had value in the intellectual property and they sold that for what they could get before they couldn't sustain anymore losses.
Kinda reminds me of when Schwinn was sold to Chinese firm. All they wanted was the name and a couple big selling models. Ebonite is a big name in bowling and it looks like Brunswick just wanted the product lines and the names. If you can't sustain two plants you're going to keep the one that's cheaper run EVERY time.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Before my interest in pool I was a motorcycle dealer representing many different franchises. One of which was Harley Davidson. I remember when AMF bought the manufacturer and I remember when they sold it. AMF nearly ruined the most iconic motorcycle manufacturer during their tenure. Understandably, we dealers we very happy when AMF left. So happy that we assigned a different meaning to the letters AMF. We saluted their departure with "Adios _ _s, lol.
Boy, they did turn-out some turds under AMF ownership.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
You keep saying that. Are you the referee? Stop all the stupid cryptic answers and tell the world why the sale went down. We're all just dying to know.

If I knew that secret, I wouldn't be ASKING why they sold now WOULD I? I'm simply pointing out the BUYER is being blamed for the loss of jobs....of which they have no fault in. So, like I said, the seller is the one responsible for the loss of jobs.

I'm sure the employees were asking managment why they were selling them out, and not blaming Brunswick for buying the business.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blame is being placed on the buyer, being Brunswick, like they went in and forced the company to sell out, like they had no choice, and that's just wrong.

The seller had the choice not to sell as well, but decided to sell out anyway. So that's the real question NOT being asked, WHY did management sell out their employees jobs???
Two possibles: 1.They got an offer too good to refuse in light of bowling industry not doing great and 2. It was a union shop, right? Maybe the owners were tired of dealing with union politics and shop steward a^*wipes. I'm not mad at either side. Really don't give a rat'-ass. Just business. S^*t like this happens every day.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Two possibles: 1.They got an offer too good to refuse in light of bowling industry not doing great and 2. It was a union shop, right? Maybe the owners were tired of dealing with union politics and shop steward a^*wipes.

Do you know that for sure, or are you just assuming? See, like I said, it's an important question that deserves an answer. That's more important than who bought them.