No, Most people do not want to play pool on big pockets.

For players and not home recreational bangers: Pro Cut Pockets or Buckets?

• Total voters

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the difference between Penguin pro cut rails, and Ridgeback Rails that I see on many 'upgraded' Valley tables?

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Penguin pro cut rails were the best investment on my Valley table.
Changed everything.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best post of the thread, and maybe the year! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

I prefer to PRACTICE on a table with tight pockets as it makes me strive for finer shot making.

I prefer to PLAY on whatever is standing in front of me.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
What's the difference between Penguin pro cut rails, and Ridgeback Rails that I see on many 'upgraded' Valley tables?

Scott Lee

Hey Scott!

I have installed over a Dozen sets of Penguin brand replacement rails, Pro Cut and just regular replacements. They are K-55 cushions on new mounting blocks & new facings.They make the tables play far better than the stock valley stuff. Fred at Penguin is great to work with and the product is quality.

I have not worked with Ridgeback yet, but, I know they offer their own version of both Pro Cut and regular. I have heard good things about them as well.

See ya in January!

Trent from Toledo

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A lot of the better players like to practice on tight pockets. A lot of the weaker players like to practice on tight pockets because they see the stronger players practicing on them and they think it will help them improve their game/accuracy faster, which in my opinion it doesn’t. Funny though, in our tournaments seems like nobody wants to play on them – not even the good players! As for the recreational players, they don’t even know the difference unless someone tells them!

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True, it was written with such obvious bias I had to vote for the “buckets”, just to try to even it out.

The sample size is so pathetically small that this "poll" is totally meaningless. Another bright and shiny object and all the fish fell for the bait. Life is good.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
As for the recreational players, they don’t even know the difference unless someone tells them!

AHA! We have hit paydirt. This guy owns a pool hall and his opinion has some data behind it :)

The poll has nothing to do with recreational players, but, I feel this statement is important.

Trent from Toledo

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The sample size is so pathetically small that this "poll" is totally meaningless. Another bright and shiny object and all the fish fell for the bait. Life is good.

Glad you participated. This post (and some from other people) was SO very helpful to me and the rest of us.

Its obvious that most of negative comments are personal, and nothing to do with the poll. Be helpful or be gone.

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Please, just stop trolling me. You said what you thought.I get it, you don't like my poll and I was clear that I don't care. I don't need your approval. Must make you furious that I was right....

Most players do want to play on Pro Cut pockets. :thumbup:

Trent from Toledo

No, they chose pro cut pockets because you didn't list 4" pockets as an option, what would you have to say then, if the 4" pockets trumped the Pro Cut pockets??? :thumbup:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
No, they chose pro cut pockets because you didn't list 4" pockets as an option, what would you have to say then, if the 4" pockets trumped the Pro Cut pockets??? :thumbup:

Make your own Poll and find out! :)

Trent from Toledo

p.s. IMO it would prove even further that: MOST PEOPLE DO NOT WANT TO PLAY ON BIG POCKETS, you rowdy ole snake! Always stirring the pot!! At least you ain't smokin it!! HAHAAHAHAHHA

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
You continue to say "most people..."

Using your poll as a yardstick, most people do not care enough either way to participate. Less than 5% participation of the number of views. Less than 5% replies, and that number isn't accurate as 20% of the replies are from you.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

Using your poll as a yardstick, most people do not care enough either way to participate. Less than 5% participation of the number of views. Less than 5% replies, and that number isn't accurate as 20% of the replies are from you.

now 21% replies are from me. I posted the Poll and that lead to conversation about the poll.

You dont have to like it. You don't have to look at it. No one is making you do anything :)

Have a nice evening

Trent

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Are you suggesting the premise of the poll is flawed at best, and misleading if not untrue at worst? If you are, I tend to agree. There are 43551 members here at AZB. Approximately 2317 members have viewed the "poll" and only 86 members seem to support the poll's premise. It's just not honest to say "most people" support the premise, is it?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you suggesting the premise of the poll is flawed at best, and misleading if not untrue at worst? If you are, I tend to agree. There are 43551 members here at AZB. Approximately 2317 members have viewed the "poll" and only 86 members seem to support the poll's premise. It's just not honest to say "most people" support the premise, is it?

I don't give a ratz a55 what "most" think because "most" don't know their a55 from a hole in the ground when it comes to pocket size, how they are cut etc...etc and how all that can make pocketing a ball harder or easier.

The OP did lead a little but, his question stands by itself regardless of leading. Besides, "if" a person can be lead, they are for sure one of the folks that don't know their azz from the hole in the ground. Therefore, when it comes to the topic of pocket size and how it changes things or even who likes what, well, they're opinion isn't useful.

As far as that ^^^^^ goes, most advanced players don't know the details of the why's when it comes to how a different angle may or may not matter with a said pocket size.

But, to keep the conversation out of the mechanics-only hands, lets just keep it simple and answer the question.

IMO, better players like somewhat tighter pockets. To me, 4.5" pockets are somewhat tight but not tight by any means.

A lesser player would quit pool on anything much tight than 4.5". Then again, a better player don't really care. He can play on anything but, if he has his choice, he would choose again, "somewhat" tight pockets.

Then again, if it was a 14.1-only table, well...a bigger pocket is desired ~.4.75" depending on table size.

BTW, I'm no table mechanic but, I am a player of sorts so, there you go.

Jeff

a1712

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In my Bar our Diamonds have 4 3/8" corners and 4 7/8" sides, the league players requested that. As a Bar owner I would love them to be 5" and 5 1/2" on weekends. Faster games leads to more revenue. Brian.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my Bar our Diamonds have 4 3/8" corners and 4 7/8" sides, the league players requested that. As a Bar owner I would love them to be 5" and 5 1/2" on weekends. Faster games leads to more revenue. Brian.

Interesting POV

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
So Far....Only 22% of viewers have voted.

I would place that in the same category as the New York or LA Times.

Fake Poll with A Slanted Viewpoint.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
So Far....Only 22% of viewers have voted.

I would place that in the same category as the New York or LA Times.

Fake Poll with A Slanted Viewpoint.

Bull$h1t. Go to your local room and ASK players. I know you dont have any friends that are players so ask strangers.

Chris from NC ownes a room :) I service 3 rooms. MOST people I ask want a tight playing table....

Good Morning AZB!!!! <<<In my best Robin Williams internet Voice! :thumbup:

The poll just supports my raw data from the field.

Trent from Toledo:thumbup:

I have heard this from other people who own bars and pool rooms about buckets= they bring in more $$$. This guy did what they PLAYERS want.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

4" diamond pro-am pockets on a 9'er...whew...

Most strong shortstops and pros don't like playing matches on 4" pockets when playing most games. Tiny pockets ruins certain games and you know it.

Glenn, you've been around pool players of all levels for a LOOONNNGGGG time and you know that most players with the skills below true shortstop speed down to someone thats just above a banger would never "truly" want to play on 4" pockets. They may "claim" they want 4" pockets but, I think you know better.

If anyone thinks most people wants to, or can play on 4" corners and be even close to successful, well, lol....I want them to tell me where all these 4" pocket killers are.

I just don't see it.

Heck, most people don't even like playing 9' diamonds with 4.5" corners. If they all had 4" corners, well....lol....ro9ms would be closing left and right. That's one reason all rooms are full of bar boxes.

Jeff

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's use cornhole for an example...
Some people like big cornholes...

Some people like tight cornholes...

And some people think you shouldn't be
allowed to have a few beers, have a good time with friends, and play with loose cornholes. You have to be serious every second you are playing with a cornhole, and if you can't play with a tight cornhole, you are not allowed to play with any cornhole.

I'm all in on tight cornholes. I think I'll start a poll to see how many cornhole trolls come out.